Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,789,276 times

Advertisements

A very dangerous condition or situation that can cause great pain & damage to your skin in sub zero temps.

Does anyone know how to cope with it? When your outside and no place to go to warm up. How do your prevent or stop the pain and prevent further damage ??

Old 02-13-2011, 04:27 AM

Default Inupiaq Eskimo's have tricks

The Inupiaq People(s) of six different villages have taught me a lot over a 30 year span.

They have the expertise to deal with issues arising from the cold.

There are ways to deal with it and even prevent it.

My father in law once told me: This is the reason your nose runs so much when it is cold out - USE IT !!!

My reply was "Yuk"! and I suffered greatly. Pain beyond description, Fingers and hands so numb they were totally useless.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT - there is a very simple solution; AND IT WORKS!!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,888,235 times
Rub snow on it?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:57 AM

Default No, that will hurt worse !!

I always use to complain about my fingers, constantly - I just could not keep my fingers warm in sub zero weather no matter which type gloves I am using. Mittens however is a much better alternative. Even then when riding a snowmachine into the wind, no matter how many gloves & mittens you have on, Your hands will get cold (in time).

Eskimo's would always laugh and say; It is because you touch ***** too much!! (meaning a certain part of a woman's body). I always laughed back and said: how come my tongue never gets cold? That went right over their heads every time.

But seriously; when your fingers are hurting and won't work, there is a very simple solution that will work; I doubt any of you would ever dare attempt this UNLESS; you begin to suffer .. .. THEN and only then did I dare do what they kept telling me to do for many weeks.

Take your gloves off (quickly) - blow your nose into your hands, as much as possible, rub it all over your hands and fingers and get those gloves back on as quick as possible - this is what happens. INSTANTLY -your hands are warm as toast and working again with no pain and they do not hurt as they warm up. AND - they will not get cold for the rest of the day.

I FLAT OUT REFUSED to do this & I suffered greatly. Ever sniff your nose? and swallow some ? does it ever do any harm ? Never!!

Many times; while working in Prudhoe bay, I would come into the lunch room job shack, and sit down at one of the tables. Everyone would get up and move.

I looked over and laughed and said ?? Something wrong? they all replied yeah !! your gross !! Then it dawned on me - someone must have caught me doing this @ work. I explained it to them all, they gave me dirty looks. (chuckle) Until I caught them sneaking behind a beam or something and doing the same thing - and watching that smile come across their faces as their fingers were working again !!

THIS DOESN'T WORK- on the East Coast. it has the opposite effect !!

When you suffer long enough - then I hope you remember this technique that will save you from major pain!! If your ear(s) or cheek is getting frost bit. It will save your skin!! Kakiik (Kah keek) Eskimo word for 'snot'!!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM

854 posts, read 1,979,316 times
i've been told to rub snot on my nose and cheekbones, as they're the most commonly affected areas. i've never worn gloves (only mittens) on the cold days, and mittens definitely keep your fingers much warmer.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately; I could never wear mittens at work as an electrician, but taking your gloves off and having to use small metal parts to assemble was always brutal for me.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
SityData you are such a cunning linguist... At least I know some Eskimo words now too...

Why does this only work in AK and not the east coast?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 AM

854 posts, read 1,979,316 times
the mittens i usually wear fold back to expose fingers, handy when you need fingers for short periods of time here and there (i.e. hunting in the cold or anything that requires actual fingers). when your fingers get cold, just throw the mitten thing back on them and do your best to warm them back up.

they don't look exactly like these, but you get the idea:

Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
the mittens i usually wear fold back to expose fingers, handy when you need fingers for short periods of time here and there (i.e. hunting in the cold or anything that requires actual fingers). when your fingers get cold, just throw the mitten thing back on them and do your best to warm them back up.

they don't look exactly like these, but you get the idea:

Yeah @ 40 below I am sure those come in quite hand-Y NOT!!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
SityData you are such a cunning linguist... At least I know some Eskimo words now too...

Why does this only work in AK and not the east coast?
simply put: It is different !!

For the same reason that an Inupiaq eskimo froze her butt off @ 30 above zero wearing her huge fur parky.

I can speak the language !! 30 above in the arctic is too hot !!

Last edited by SityData; 02-13-2011 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska