Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Since my other thread was infested with trolls I will put this here:

Quote:
Our Inside Passage cruise itineraries are designed to avoid the typical Alaska tourist-clogged towns in pursuit of up-close encounters with nature in a world where it is common to see whales, bears and sea lions all in the same day. Our goal is to get you deep into the heart of the Alaskan wilderness and let you truly experience the adventure of a lifetime. Our unique Alaska’s Inside Passage cruise excursions offer you adventures expertly tailored to suit your skill level. Take an exhilarating kayaking adventure with one of our experts, go fishing with expert guides, join a small group and hike into splendid remote areas. Whatever level of activity you’re looking for, we’ll show you the exciting wildlife and wilderness of the Inside Passage like no one else can.
Alaska Inside Passage Cruises
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Default great info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Since my other thread was infested with trolls I will put this here:

Alaska Inside Passage Cruises
I've already have plans but I will certainly keep this in mind... I believe that IS what a cruise is all about.... experience Alaska... for REAL...

Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 AM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
Okay, I gotta chime in here and tell you about my fun summer job and what happens when the cruise ships stop in Wrangell. While the jet boat operators are taking the tourists up the Stikine river wilderness, the glaciers and hot springs my grandkids and I are busy setting up lunch on a sandbar in the middle of the river. We can't entertain them on state or federal land but nobody owns the sandbars in the middle of the river.
We have tents, tables, & all that stuff stored in a nearby cabin, the kids and I cook for 2 days then haul coolers full of food and wine upriver. While grandson and his friend are setting up the furniture and building a bonfire, granddaughter and I are setting up the food and wine.
I'll tell you what, these people have a blast! There's nothing to sell, nothing to buy, just the experience of really being in Alaska for the day. They usually stop here on their way back down south , constantly saying "FINALLY! This is what we came to Alaska to see!" The most interesting to me is how many have never sat around a bonfire let alone heard of a smore. We're only getting a few ships this year so I don't know if we'll carry on with all this part of the tour or not, it's a helluva lot of work - worth it if there's enough peeps, I'd do it again this year. The heavyset man in the chair, from Germany, tried his best to steal my grandkids. Gave 'em each a $100 tip! (after Tyler snuck an extra bottle of wine for him to take back to the ship)
If you're taking a cruise and Wrangell's on your list tell me, I'll let you know what's going on here this year.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/summer%20of%2009/100_0816.jpg (broken link)

Lindsey greets them as the boats come in with a tray of red & white wine while I help them off the bow of the boats.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/summer%20of%2009/FireiceJ9L728224.jpg (broken link)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/summer%20of%2009/FireiceJ9L728243.jpg (broken link)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/GrammasCabin/summer%20of%2009/Pies22990.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-16-2011, 11:39 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Wow, that food looks awesome! I want to do one of these trips one day in this lifetime!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
What a wonderful and fun project for everyone involved! I bet there are a lot of people in your community that consider you one of Alaska's treasures!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
That had to be the highlight of their trip, and we know those are your 'real' berries in those pies! You and the kids have to have had a great time

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Thanks for sharing this. It looks like a grand ol time!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Gramma, that's pretty inspiring.

You might want to check with your Chamber though...it's my understanding the the little cruise ship stopping here once a week will also be doing the same in Wrangell.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM

258 posts, read 560,703 times
Couldn't rep ya but...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! PIE!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Gramma, that's pretty inspiring.

You might want to check with your Chamber though...it's my understanding the the little cruise ship stopping here once a week will also be doing the same in Wrangell.

Is that the same little paddle boat that comes here now and then? Can't remember the name. Problem is, if we can't get a confirm of at least 40 for the river trip and wilderness lunch it costs too much to put it on. Plus it's a helluva lot of work to set up on a sandbar 20 miles upriver. Some want to stay in town, some want to go to Anan and see the bears, some want to go fishing. If there's not enough to put the lunch on, we just take them on a river/glacier cruise and back to town. Or to Anan and back.
I deckhand now and then and have done a couple years of walking tours but I really like putting on the spread and bsing with the bunch. pays better too and the kids get a little work out of it. Wish the big ships were coming here like they did a couple years ago but they told our jet boat association they "don't make enough money off Wrangell" so they're passing us by. whatever........ their clients sure like Wrangell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska