Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM

468 posts, read 799,785 times

Advertisements

As I think about all the logistics involved in moving and settling my family, if my husband gets the job, this is one issue I am not sure how to handle. I found a handy list of links that someone posted about moving to Alaska that has been very, very helpful for answering all of my other questions. I don't remember who posted it, but thank you very much!

My youngest daughter and husband both have Celiac. I am guessing that a small community, such at Metlakatla does not have an extensive gluten free selection in their grocery store. In the lower 48, I could order most dry goods from Amazon, if necessary.

What would be the most cost effective thing to do? Order from Amazon, order from a store I found in Anchorage that does have an extensive selection, have my parents ship us stuff, or haul as much as I can with me? I am talking about thinks like GF pretzels, flours for baking, rice noodles, etc.

I did see that there is a Wal-mart in Ketchikan. When I tried to check their stock online, I didn't find much GF stuff, so I am not sure a monthly/bimonthly trip there would be worth the ferry cost. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Safeway in Ketchikan has some gluten free stuff as does A&P. Just plan ahead.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM

468 posts, read 799,785 times
Thanks! I didn't realize they were there. That makes things easier.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:48 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Safeway and A&P are the two largest grocery stores in Ketchikan. You also have Tatsudas on the the south end and WalMart on the north end. Just be prepared for higher prices.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM

205 posts, read 740,490 times
I from time to time buy a lot of what I eat month to month online. There are a lot of places that don't discriminate with shipping charges to Alaska, and it's great to get dried beans and dried fruit and stuff online too to save $$$.

I snacked on some interesting rice crackers with seaweed wraps on them today which were tasty and claimed to be gluten-free. I tried to eat gluten-free for a period of time and found out pretty much EVERYTHING that has an 'ingredients' list is likely to prove itself off-limits. I don't have Celiac but thought I had a gluten-intolerance when I was ill.

Here there are always Asian-type food sections in the grocery stores and it's a good place to grab some of your gluten-free snacks.

I haven't tried them yet but have heard about a kelp noodle that acts very much like those clear noodles in Filipino cooking, which I adore. They also happen to contain minerals and that wonderful iodine. I'm looking for a better price before trying them. I plan to jump in feet first and get a larger quantity before I even taste them.

The wonderful thing about the internet is we don't have to really deprive ourselves of anything much just for living in Alaska, and shipping seems to be pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska