Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
"ASSume" very childish
Meaning of assume - you make an ass out of yourself and me...or have you never heard that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Obama did next to nothing. It was the military people risking their lives who did this, not Obama.

And I find I can't celebrate anyone being killed even if they were a piece of trash like him...
It was the military people risking their lives who did this, not Obama.

Met, I agree with Arctic on the above. Those are the real heroes. None the less bin laden is gone; wish we could get all involved im 911 and do the same.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Obama did next to nothing. It was the military people risking their lives who did this, not Obama.

And I find I can't celebrate anyone being killed even if they were a piece of trash like him...
Normally I would feel the same; but I can't this time. Wonder how the families of 911 feel.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:32 PM

225 posts, read 401,248 times

Differences aside, well done, I did rep you also

Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
A friend of mine's 20 year old son is in the Marine Corps Special Ops in Afghanistan. He was instructed to call home and say goodbye a few weeks ago. It sounds like he was part of the operation.
From Soldiers Angels: If you are a family member or "Angel" of someone in Afghanistan, and you are in touch via e-mail/IM/Skype please be prepared for intermittent contact for the immediate future. Internet access is shut down when there are security concerns. There may be an attempt to respond to this development, and our military will take whatever steps are necessary to protect our troops.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
It was the military people risking their lives who did this, not Obama.

Met, I agree with Arctic on the above. Those are the real heroes. None the less bin laden is gone; wish we could get all involved im 911 and do the same.
Barack Obama risked his life the day he announced his candidacy for POTUS, but that's another discussion.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Normally I would feel the same; but I can't this time.
That is, I believe, very valid in this case. There is a difference between being vindictive against the low level soldier or even any operative, and the way we should view a billionaire who devotes everything he has to terrorism.

That said, I do have one real difference of opinion with the way we handle terrorism, or any aggression from middle eastern sources. We made an effort with Bin Laden for example, to treat his body with respect as required by Muslim teachings, and I see no purpose in that. It allows them to believe they can martyr themselves and go to heaven. It allows them to see honor in terrorizing us.

I would have ordered his body to fed to pigs, which would then have been slaughtered and buried in a way that would allow the carcass to rot into the ground. (No heaven, no honor, no glory, and damnation to eternal Hell.)

I would also threaten, and if necessary actually do this, to haul bomber loads of pig manure from hog farms in the US, and dump mile wide swaths of residue along borders, highways, known training areas, etc etc. It is far less expensive than a bomb, and far more effective in the military sense too!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson
That said, I do have one real difference of opinion with the way we handle terrorism, or any aggression from middle eastern sources. We made an effort with Bin Laden for example, to treat his body with respect as required by Muslim teachings, and I see no purpose in that. It allows them to believe they can martyr themselves and go to heaven. It allows them to see honor in terrorizing us.

I would have ordered his body to fed to pigs, which would then have been slaughtered and buried in a way that would allow the carcass to rot into the ground. (No heaven, no honor, no glory, and damnation to eternal Hell.)
Well, this is quite vindictive. I think it shows that our country has enough class to give a man a proper burial, regardless of how much of a pig he was. And it's not even really him that I'm concerned with honoring (or anyone for that matter). The concern for me is, if you feed him to the hogs and all that, well then you've severely dishonored him and, in the view of some, Islam as a whole. And that would not be good. They hate us enough as it is.

Of course there's the other side of the coin that says nothing we do will make them hate us any less, and that may well be the case. But this treatment we gave the body can either A) do absolutely nothing for or against us, or B) send a clear message to the terrorists what kind of morals we really have and potentially achieve a small something diplomatically. Maybe that's fairy-tale thinking, but to me, it seems plausible. I mean, honoring his body in accordance with the teachings of Islam, that's a pretty nice thing to do for a guy who has wreaked havoc on your country.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
That is, I believe, very valid in this case. There is a difference between being vindictive against the low level soldier or even any operative, and the way we should view a billionaire who devotes everything he has to terrorism.

I would also threaten, and if necessary actually do this, to haul bomber loads of pig manure from hog farms in the US, and dump mile wide swaths of residue along borders, highways, known training areas, etc etc. It is far less expensive than a bomb, and far more effective in the military sense too!

I would also threaten, and if necessary actually do this, to haul bomber loads of pig manure from hog farms in the US, and dump mile wide swaths of residue along borders, highways, known training areas, etc etc. It is far less expensive than a bomb, and far more effective in the military sense too![/QUOTE

I agree with you!!! I wonder why they buried him according to Muslim law?? That's a whole different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: