Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 92,299 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I will be moving to Valdez for a job in a couple months. If you live there, can you provide any suggestions on places to live? I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Thanks
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,312,410 times
I don't know much about apartments around here honestly, the only complexes I know of are Sound View and Cottonwood Manor. Just going by appearances I'd guess Sound View to be the better of the two. Most other rentals in town are houses or rooms in houses.

The two realtors in town, who may be able to help you, are:
Sound Realty
Hursh Realtors

Hursh doesn't have a good reputation, but Sound Realty doesn't have any rental listings. You might still call and see if they can help at all. Also talk to your future employer; maybe they can ask around for you if they don't know of anything offhand. Town should be pretty booked up this summer due to projects at the pipeline terminal and the oil refinery, so get moving on something soon.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Hi

Thanks. I have contacted Sound Realty and they are looking for apartments. When I arrive in May, they are going to take me around to places to look. They seem hopeful that we can secure something for mid July.

Now, on to hotels. Any suggestions for hotels for 6 nights. Trying to decide between Keystone hotel, Totem Inn (cabins), Bear Creek Cabins or Eagle's rest cabins? Is there others that you would recommend? Mountain Sky is expensive and Best Western is sold out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jennifer

Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Keystone Hotel sucks. Glacier Sound Inn also has a poor reputation but is being revamped so it may be better in the future. Totem is fine and is near the harbor. Lots of tourists, but you'll find that at the other places too. I wouldn't stay at Eagle's Rest myself, not because I've heard anything bad but because they're packed together with no ambiance at all in the middle of town. Bear Creek looks much better to me. There are also a few good B&Bs in town. I personally recommend L&L's if they're not booked.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Hi

How is the Head Hunters Inn B&B or Downtown B&B? What other B&B's do you suggest?

Thanks
Jennifer

Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM

I don't know anything about either of those, though Tripadvisor has pretty crummy things to say about Downtown B&B. Have heard good things about Wild Roses by the Sea, and Brookside Inn looks very nice from the outside, at least. I happen to know the owner of the one I mentioned and can vouch for it, but I haven't stayed in any of them. I'd think on average the B&B's are going to be better than the hotels in town, though. Look at some reviews online and talk to a few of the owners to narrow it down.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 PM

Hi

Where is Bear Creek cabins located? Are they in downtown Valdez?

thanks
Jennifer

Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 PM

No, they're about five miles from town. Their website says they're at 2 mile, but the mile markers are measured from Old Town, which is three miles out. Keep that in mind if you're reading about where things are located here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska