Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times

Advertisements

No, this is not going to hurt Alaska.

Don't discount Palin. I'm serious.
The "good-old-boy" network is falling apart, quickly. Yea, she may be a looker, but she's a sharp woman.
She's gonna end the "Dennis Miller" attitude about Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Palin is a local politician; she has no influence in DC. That's the problem. The face of Alaska right now is Don Young's 'Bridge to Nowhere.' That's not good.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,801,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Palin is a local politician; she has no influence in DC. That's the problem. The face of Alaska right now is Don Young's 'Bridge to Nowhere.' That's not good.
She's the gov of the largest state in the union. Also the state which the lower 48+1 has taken for granted for decades, and has known and undiscovered natural resources that has a ton of NR people I see that are drooling at the mouth.
The D.C. politions will deal with their sins, and right now as I speak Juneau is trembling. That's all I can say.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Your right DannyL I think Palin will move mountains or she will attmep to, I have a great deal of confidence in her, so far other than not discussing or negotiating with all the unions for State employees I'm very pleased to be an Alaskan under her leadership.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
If we look back on history we will see tht "Uncle Ted" has fought for and put Alaska first in Washington DC. Because of him we had ANILCA (good or bad) the pipeline, infistructure and improvements in the bush. The military activities and build up here. Which has provided countless jobs to most of the communities. He has even put things in the works to plant seeds for our future. Look at the native corporations and the social programs they are running and how many lives they effect. Everyone of us in this state has benefitted from Uncle Ted. I know I have being in the construcion indistry.

Don YOung has been brash and arrogant for years. Has a lousy attendance record and is just a pain in our sides. Maybe some one can show me his accomplishments for the state.

Lisa, was taken under Ted and Don's wing in Washington and shown how the game is played, and hit the field running, she was credited with some wins (may or may not of been hers), then came home and won re-election, and is standing on her own two feet.

Yes Sara Palin is cute an I am sure all the women loves her macho husband. She is trying to what we percieve as good. She does have Walley Hickel in her corner (Hickel investments, Cpt. Cook Hotel, etc) He has the contacts to help her go far. I also take exception with her views towards the Unions. People for get that the unions helped build Alaska long before we had a pipeline. They are also the ones that usually set the prevailing wage in an area. This is one of the reasons why most people can afford to work and live up here. Evenr those not in a union benefit from the higher standard of wages. Right now in Fairbanks there is a labor pool shortage. What happens is everyone migrates to a higher paying job. The bottom line there is the low payers, Fastfood and hospitality industry now pays a higher wage to keep staff.

IF the unions are busted or fail, then we al may as well move to Florida as the wages will probably be the same. At least we wont have to pay the oil bll and extra for freight.

AS for guilt or innocence of those concerned lets try just once to not convict them in the media prior to actual evidence.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Well evidence is coming out in leaps and bounds, and his people around him are getting richer by the moment, I think that him and Young both are very arrogant and they need to be knocked down a peg or two.

As far as the unions go, if you do your research for the unions involving state employees you will see that the private sector is way ahead for the wage of the same responsiblilities.

Unions do at least protect the worker as the private sector can get a hair up their hiney and fire at will.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default I'd love to see "President Palin", wouldn't you?

Personally, I'd LOVE to see "President Palin", wouldn't you? If it is indeed time for a woman in the White House, she's a far, far better choice than that patently evil hag Shrillery.

Realistically, the chances of that happening are asymptotic to zero, which is a damn shame. I haven't seen a single Repubilican candidate that either lives up to the core philosophy of the party or has a snowballs chance in Hell of being elected in '08.

As far as Uncle Teddy, I suspect he'll somehow squeeze his way out of this mess a bit poorer from lawyers fees but pretty much unscathed. Don't forget that he's a DC survivor of long, long standing and this certainly ain't his first go-round. A politician in trouble is naturally about as slippery as a fat salmon on a slimy patch of riverbank, and trying to pin him down is gonna be just about as difficult. You watch and see, squeezing out of tight spots is a natural-born talent for the DC crowd.

As for Young and the lesser Murky, I'd say good riddance to the both of 'em. Maybe we'll get lucky there.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 PM

19 posts, read 98,731 times
It is situations like these that make most places wait until after someone has passed before they name something major after him/her, i.e. an international airport. Despite what he has done for Alaska, this scandal has tarnished Sen. Stevens. If he's found guilty of corruption, then the city will look foolish for having its airport named after him. Before Watergate, Nixon did a lot for the country but there's no international airport named after him - and for good reason.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,885,078 times
No kidding. It's not just the airport either- the new lab out on Lena Loop is officially named the Ted Stevens something something something Laboratory. Of course, a real live huge marine biology lab- my dream come true- and it has to be named after that loser.
Nonetheless, I actually kind of like Lisa Murkowski. She certainly did a better job at what she does than Murkowski senior ever did. Not that he did anything close to a good job, mind you.
As for ole' Sarah, all I can say is it warms my heart everytime I am leaving the airport and that big brown sign has a board over it saying "Palin" where "Murkowski" used to be.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Odds are the only reason your dream came true is becasue of that "Looser" !
I don't like his current situation either or how the whole Republican party seems to of gone on a coruption spree! If we look around Alaska you will see that most of the advances in basic and other lifestyles, and jobs can be traced back to his hard work or a seed he has planted for our future.

On a diffrent track, most every one likes Mrs Paulin, the question I have is what do we really know about the Lt. GOV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska