Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM

180 posts, read 215,377 times

Advertisements

Just got a notification that I was referred to a hiring manager for a Geologist position with the Federal Government out of Thorne Bay. Obviously, this means I don't have the job or anything, but I figured I should at least find out something about the place if it gets to that point.

Quote:
Summary
This position is located on the Tongass National Forest at the Thorne Bay Ranger district in Thorne Bay, Alaska. The position serves as a professional geologist performing a variety of conventional minerals and geology tasks.
Honestly, I didn't think I'd get the referral - so it's a bit of a surprise to me.

Could you folks direct me to some resources about the area or let me know what it's like if you have personal experience?

I'd be relocating from SE Ohio, ironically not much bigger than Thorne Bay. Winters don't particularly bother me (though what you folks get is a far cry from what we get in Ohio), I enjoy the outdoors such as fishing, target shooting, hiking.

I have a TJ Jeep Rubicon and an E46 M3, so hopefully that means I'm able to get around during inclement weather in the Jeep and hoon about in the M3 during the nicer parts of the year.

Any information you can provide or direct me towards is appreciated!

Jordan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
I have a home a few miles from Thorne Bay.

Your vehicles are fine.

Winters are wet and long; some years it doesn't even snow or get below freezing, and other years it does little else. I haven't spent a winter there since 2017.

It's good that you like these outdoor activities. Personally, I think it's just as important to have activities/hobbies you can do indoors because you'll be spending a lot of time inside.

Your community in Ohio might not be much bigger than TB, but it's undoubtedly way more connected. TB is fairly isolated, and if you need any kind of nightlife -- even so much as a cafe that stays open past 6 p.m. -- you won't find it there.

Spouse, kids?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-13-2019 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 12:44 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Your vehicles are fine.

Winters are wet and long; some years it doesn't even snow or get below freezing, and other years it does little else.

It's good that you like these outdoor activities. Personally, I think it's just as important to have activities/hobbies you can do indoors because you'll be spending a lot of time inside.

Your community in Ohio might not be much bigger than TB, but it's undoubtedly way more connected. TB is fairly isolated, and if you need any kind of nightlife -- even so much as a cafe that stays open past 6 p.m. -- you won't find it there.

Spouse, kids?
This. While it is good that you enjoy outdoor activities realize there will be a lot of time during the year when you can't realistically get to glamorous destinations and do them because of the weather. It isn't an extreme dramatic place like the northern Interior with its minus 20 temps, northern lights, 20-hour summer days...the stereotypic AK, but it is limiting. Dark, wet, mild, day after day. It can depress many. But with all that rain comes beauty...those deep coastal forests are stunning, but obviously in the Tongass you'll see a lot of destruction due to logging too. Being easily satisfied/entertained by the little day to day things helps a lot.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-13-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Your vehicles are fine.

Winters are wet and long; some years it doesn't even snow or get below freezing, and other years it does little else.

Spouse, kids?
No wife, no kids, no g/f either. 35yr old solo male. lol I'm pretty insular, don't really socialize much. Nightlife isn't really my thing either.

I value a decent internet connection over a bar. lol

Old 11-13-2019, 01:50 PM

How much of a hassle is it to go to Canada? Anything nearby in Canada that would be worth the trip?

Old 11-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
How much of a hassle is it to go to Canada? Anything nearby in Canada that would be worth the trip?
No idea what would make it "worth the trip" for you. Look at a map and research destinations. No matter where you decide to go you still have to fly or ship out of Thorne Bay. Your connection hub is Ketchikan. CA would just be a little farther off.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Look into connectivity carefully. It might be slow and/or expensive.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
You'd either have to fly out of Ketchikan, take a 9-hour ferry ride to Prince Rupert, or take a 2+ day ferry ride to Skagway and drive to Whitehorse. It's not something anyone really does just because. I know it looks like Canada is conveniently close on a map, but it really isn't except from Skagway. I don't think there are any direct flights to anywhere in Canada from Ketchikan.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-13-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Don't get me started on the internet on POW.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Don't get me started on the internet on POW.
Ouch - it's really that bad, eh?

How about cell service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska