Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenjulia View Post
Hi
Tell me good place in Alaska to stay.I am moving in next month.reply
Allakaket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazrdus_Reaper View Post
Hi,

i'm a single mother with 2 kids. i'm looking into the living costs of living in alaska. i'm not looking in the big cities. as long as there is middle and high school, medical help, a store and an airstrip close by. i dont mind living in a trailer for the time being, my budget isn't big. i'm moving from europe so advice on prices of housing and transport ect would be helpful. job opportunities in any field, so that i know what is availble. i am still a student, currently studying biology. i want to change my major so i can get a job in alaska but i need to know what they are looking for. i could teach but then im limited to biology/science up to mid highschool.

all info would be very apreciated.
How does your dollar change over in US money? My understanding is the US dollar is very low in value compared to other countries. So considering the change over...you might be ok initially on the move as far as cost goes.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,978 times
I am currently a Michigan resident trying to move to Alaska very soon. I have done my fair share of research and have decided that Fairbanks will be the preferred location.. for now. It will be my cousin and myself moving. We plan on renting a dry cabin, the cheaper the better for the first 6 months to a year. Any info that you have that maybe I haven't came across in my extensive research would be a great help. Thank you

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
You will have to go back several pages but I have a bit of dry cabin living stuff in my blog.
Alaska, The Madness

Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 PM

Yea I feel we could handle the dry living arrangement. I was more looking for travel tips. I already have my emergency kit underway, need a few more things but I have some time. We planned on driving out in Jan. How intense of a journey is this. I have experienced some mildly harsh winters here in Michigan, as well as PA, NY and so on. We would be traveling in a 2001 Chevy pickup. What do ya think?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahurley View Post
I have done my fair share of research and have decided that Fairbanks will be the preferred location.. for now.

Any info that you have that maybe I haven't came across in my extensive research would be a great help. Thank you
Ray and Abbie live in Fairbanks. Ray likes to save money on gas, and Abbie is just happy that she's not an almost dog.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM

anything else?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska