Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 AM

39 posts, read 78,144 times

Advertisements

My mom and I will be moving to Ketchikan Alaska next month, and I would like to know the average utility bill [electricity, water, sewage, etc] for a 2 person household.

I saw an 1 bedroom apartment with a rental price of $695+tax [without utilities] and $880+tax with utilities.

We were thinking of getting it without the utilities included as we don't use much electricity.

As for the job market there, how is it holding up?

I'm a certified marine welder with only 2 months of welding experience [3g SMAW 25mm], and I am very interested in improving and picking up new skills. Is Alaska Ship & Drydock hiring at the moment? Besides welding and fitting, I can also do cleaning and assist in administrative duties.

We are moving to Ketchikan from Singapore. I'm an American who grew up in singapore and the cost of living is too high. The cost of living is high but our salary isn't increasing.

In singapore:
An administrative assistant with a college diploma will get a salary of US$1280.9735 [S$1600] a month.

An entry level welder will earn US$600-US$800 a month. Normally, they will hire cheap foreign labour for welding jobs [Malaysians, indians, PRCs, Bangladash, etc]. They are not willing to hire locals and americans as they will have to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 AM

I would like to add that I've tried searching online on the average utility bill but to no avail. So I decided to post a question here hoping someone would answer.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM

89 posts, read 340,147 times
Ketchikan Alaska utility companies - Google Search You might get the info your looking for here!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks! I've found it. 9.4 cents/kWh.

That's cheap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska