Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Whining is all that is Just the same as when trying to build the AK pipeline.

How do you know that offshore drilling will screw things up for wildlife when we aren't drilling offshore? There is one way to find out, however
wait..what??? the offshore drill disaster in the Gulf that is still affecting Louisiana, FL etc didn't screw things up for the wildlife????...hummm...the people living there are still finding recently dead birds, fish, etc with oil on and in them...don't hear much in the news anymore about it though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
wait..what??? the offshore drill disaster in the Gulf that is still affecting Louisiana, FL etc didn't screw things up for the wildlife????...hummm...the people living there are still finding recently dead birds, fish, etc with oil on and in them...don't hear much in the news anymore about it though
Quote:
Chukchi Sea
I thought we were talking about caribou and other wildlife in Alaska. The Feds don't allow for offshore drilling in here.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
There have also been proposals floated around of bringing the pipeline to the Fairbanks area and tying into TAPS if the enviros put up too much resistance on the Canadian West Coast. Who knows what will happen.
I haven't heard that. That would be interesting. Maybe we would get some good from Obama's decision!

I remember the debate before the pipeline. One of the doomsday scenario's was the pipeline breaking over the Yukon River and dumping all that oil into the river.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
I thought we were talking about caribou and other wildlife in Alaska. The Feds don't allow for offshore drilling in here.
gottcha....sure hope the Feds never change their minds....$$ has a way of doing that!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 PM

468 posts, read 799,894 times
Quote:
Aren't they on the way to doing it? Shell plans on drilling test wells in the Beaufort in 2012 and 2013. Other companies are doing site surveys on leases they purchased in the Chukchi.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
gottcha....sure hope the Feds never change their minds....$$ has a way of doing that!
Yes, but the Alaska's economy can't survive without oil and mining, and we all would lose our jobs. This is something to think about.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Aren't they on the way to doing it? Shell plans on drilling test wells in the Beaufort in 2012 and 2013. Other companies are doing site surveys on leases they purchased in the Chukchi.
I don't think so. It will probably take several years before any oil production would take place offshore, and more than likely the Feds won't allow it. Well, if the US economy collapses, maybe then the Feds will agree to it because of this:
New Study Shows That Offshore Drilling Could Make Alaska the Eighth Largest Oil Producer in the World

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Quote:
Whining is all that is Just the same as when trying to build the AK pipeline.

How do you know that offshore drilling will screw things up for wildlife when we aren't drilling offshore? There is one way to find out, however
Explain how that's whining.

Also, there is probably more than just one way to find out Ray. Modern science has advanced beyond what any of us probably know. For example, rather than sticking the rigs in the ocean and seeing what happens, why not try some sonar testing that would simulate the sounds of a drilling rig and see how it affects the wildlife. Just one possible option.

Instead of just repeating things we already know like, "Alaska can't survive without its oil and mining", I would like to see us trying to actually come up with ways to KEEP the oil and mining going and also keep the wildlife going. Also, many Inupiaq have said that without the whale they would lose their cultural identity, so I think their interests should be strongly considered as well.

And I'm sure to you I'm just some damn lower 48 moron who doesn't understand the issues because he isn't physically standing on Alaskan permafrost, but like any issues, there are undoubtedly people who agree with me who are standing on Alaskan permafrost. It's not me being arrogant, like some urban liberal sipping tea in a Manhattan high-rise telling people in the country in Montana how to farm and take care of their livestock, it's me saying this as a probable future resident of the state of Alaska who would like to see the state of Alaska remain as spectacular as it has been, and that includes the wildlife and culture. I'm not saying that I have some ground-breaking idea, it's just that I side with those who support careful, environmentally responsible extraction practices. The Pipeline is a good example that this CAN be done, so there is no excuse not to do it.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Explain how that's whining.

Also, there is probably more than just one way to find out Ray. Modern science has advanced beyond what any of us probably know. For example, rather than sticking the rigs in the ocean and seeing what happens, why not try some sonar testing that would simulate the sounds of a drilling rig and see how it affects the wildlife. Just one possible option.

Instead of just repeating things we already know like, "Alaska can't survive without its oil and mining", I would like to see us trying to actually come up with ways to KEEP the oil and mining going and also keep the wildlife going. Also, many Inupiaq have said that without the whale they would lose their cultural identity, so I think their interests should be strongly considered as well.

And I'm sure to you I'm just some damn lower 48 moron who doesn't understand the issues because he isn't physically standing on Alaskan permafrost, but like any issues, there are undoubtedly people who agree with me who are standing on Alaskan permafrost. It's not me being arrogant, like some urban liberal sipping tea in a Manhattan high-rise telling people in the country in Montana how to farm and take care of their livestock, it's me saying this as a probable future resident of the state of Alaska who would like to see the state of Alaska remain as spectacular as it has been, and that includes the wildlife and culture. I'm not saying that I have some ground-breaking idea, it's just that I side with those who support careful, environmentally responsible extraction practices. The Pipeline is a good example that this CAN be done, so there is no excuse not to do it.
A person of so many words...errr...whining

There was a lot of whining back in the days prior to the AK pipeline, and there is a lot of whining today about offshore drilling. That's the way it is, and it will never change. And yes, the AK's economy depends on oil.

http://iser.uaa.alaska.edu/Publicati...sformfinal.pdf

Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
LOL Ray, so a person who doesn't speak in three-word phrases and/or grunts is therefore whining. You're funny sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska