Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 03:40 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
I still stuff the bird though always took precautions. I had this wonderful old time heavy enamel turkey roasting pan with a sealing type of lid on it, ugly as sin but the best pan I ever had. I looked high and low for that pan before I moved to AK because I wanted to hand it over to my daughter (joint custody cooking style) but could not find it anywhere. My sister swears I didn't leave it at her cabin up north but I am pretty sure she is fibbing. When I next get to visit back in MN I am going to raid her cabin and check it out personally! I rarely cook much anymore since I am alone so much but handing over the lifetime treasures of favorite pans, fancy dishes and platters for big festive meals is a right of passage from one stage of life to another. I remember how honored I felt when I in turn had received those things from my mother and grandmothers. That is part of the holiday (fussing) traditons for me, remembering all the stories, laughter and tears shared from one generation to the next.
We still stuff the bird although I have reservations I still do lol. Anddddd I am still gonna wash it, all that blood inside ugh. Yes that's what I miss the big family get togethers of yester-year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
ahhh freezengirl would that be one of those dark blue speckled roasting pans..??? they are the best and after husband drained the oil from vehicles in 3 of mine....yes he still has dents in his head for doing this....I am still looking to buy another one! they cook the best turkey.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
The Department of Homeland Security is taking any threat seriously during the Thanksgiving holiday, including the ominous threat to our national security posed by turkey fryers

DHS issues Turkey fryer warning | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner (http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/dhs-issues-turkey-fryer-warning - broken link)

Be sure and read the label on your turkey and make sure it's terrorist free. I have no doubt some turkey's hate us for our freedoms.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
ahhh freezengirl would that be one of those dark blue speckled roasting pans..??? they are the best and after husband drained the oil from vehicles in 3 of mine....yes he still has dents in his head for doing this....I am still looking to buy another one! they cook the best turkey.
No it wasn't one of those. It was quite heavy enamal ware (white) but it's shape was really different, like the sides created a suspension for the inside section. I never saw another like it and I tried for years. I used to nab it from my mother (who nabbed it from her mother) but she kept "borrowing" it back. What is it with the guys nabbing our enamal ware for "guy stuff?" I also lost many roasters and canning kettles the same way. I must have been awfully convincing with my pain of death threats to him if he ever touched my white one!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Kiss our land goodbye...the illegal immigrant white man and his religion are taking over.

so now lets drop this discrimination spewing on this thread...share recipes
Well, I apparently have to spread the love first, but consider yourself informally repped.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Ahhh.. Freezen.. I have a roaster but like AlaskanPat said, mine is navy and white speckled. I love that pan and that is one thing I'm bringing with me to Alaska for sure. I can't find my cast iron... oh well..

I love stuffing baked in the Turkey.. I just don't do it because now no one will eat it.. they have been brain washed LOL ... Enjoy Thanksgiving everyone.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Ahhh.. Freezen.. I have a roaster but like AlaskanPat said, mine is navy and white speckled. I love that pan and that is one thing I'm bringing with me to Alaska for sure. I can't find my cast iron... oh well..

I love stuffing baked in the Turkey.. I just don't do it because now no one will eat it.. they have been brain washed LOL ... Enjoy Thanksgiving everyone.
Phooey. I would eat it. Stuffing in a pan is not STUFFING. Stuffing in a turkey, where it belongs, is the only way to go.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,714 times
Default Well great exchange for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeaches View Post
Ok BACK to our recipe sharings,
I was looking thru my recipes and found this super easy but good tasting pound cake recipe from a family member.

Sour Cream Pound Cake

1 box Butter Cake mix (we used Duncan Hines)

1 small carton sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup crisco oil
5 eggs
2 teaspoons coconut flavoring (or vanilla if you prefer)
Beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour into prepared bundt pan. Bake at
350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Super yummy and I think the coconut flavoring really makes it good.
I love the sound of this recipe... I have to make this with the coconut... I wonder what this would taste like with drizzled chocolate when you serve it... OH MAN... I must go eat something LOL.. thank you

Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I tip the bird upside down after cleaning the sink...rinse it's insides out...then before or after make the stuffing...little bit in the bird, little bit in a casserole dish....FreezenG...I have my sis's roaster, took from MN to AK and now to AZ.... she gave it to me to borrow and when I gave her my good crap from MN before leaving, she didn't remember the pan...sure she bought another I got even for ya

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
i noticed during my vacation in Alaska this past summer, that rhubarb and strawberry rhubarb pie were popular. i LOVE rhubarb. luckily i find frozen rhubarb here and have been making quite a few strawberry rhubarb pies lately. its funny cuz lots of folks here have asked me "what is rhubarb"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: