Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,383,801 times

Advertisements

i just finished making my 6th strawberry rhubarb pie! funny thing is that most folks around here dont even know what rhubarb is, but when they taste my pie, they LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 PM

158 posts, read 322,677 times
NOTAM , yummy send me a piece of that pie to try will you?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:43 PM

158 posts, read 322,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
OMG... If I didn't have all the ingredients bought already I would be using a few of these for dinner.. Just two I would like to share... nothing Alaskan about these but great "comfort food" recipes. The corn casserole is the first thing everyone eats and if any leftover (rarely) it doesn't last long. The pumpkin bars are so very moist and will feed a large group.

Pete, I'm with you... mouth watering and getting very hungry

Corn Casserole

1 (15 ¼ ounce) can whole kernel corn drained
1 (14 ¾ ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (I recommend Jiffy)
1 cup sour cream
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 to 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a large bowl stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar and Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm

Pumpkin bars

Bars:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F

Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into the bars
To make the icing: combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars

Sorry Red... trolling but just wanted to share and I'm so glad you started this... so many new wonderful recipes to try... thanks everyone.. glitch, gingerpeaches, Blue..

Got your corn casserole in the oven as we speak, looks like it will be yummy!! thanks!

Old 11-24-2011, 03:19 PM

147 posts, read 226,496 times
I love yams with maple syrup, brown sugar, and walnuts . it is so good you bake them with a pat of butter

Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,564 times
Do you peel them and do sort of a casserole, or just leave the skin on and treat them like a big Russet potato?

Old 11-24-2011, 03:55 PM

you peel them and then boil them you can cut them into chunks or mash them. if you mash them you can put them in a pie crust or just put them in a dish
here is how i make them
2 or 3 yams peeled and boiled cut into the chunks
2 capfuls of vanilla
1/4 cup of real maple syrup
2 crushed cloves
1 tbl spoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp spoon nutmeg
1 tbl spoon honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
half of a 2.5 oz bag crushed walnuts
bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes

you can use pecans if you don't like walnuts but have to use real maple syrup. right before you put it in the oven put a pat of real butter in the center .
it is so yummy.

Last edited by sinful71; 11-24-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinful71 View Post
you peel them and then boil them you can cut them into chunks or mash them. if you mash them you can put them in a pie crust or just put them in a dish
here is how i make them
2 or 3 yams peeled and boiled cut into the chunks
2 capfuls of vanilla
1/4 cup of real maple syrup
2 crushed cloves
1 tbl spoon ground cinnamon
1 tsp spoon nutmeg
1 tbl spoon honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
half of a 2.5 oz bag crushed walnuts
bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes

you can use pecans if you don't like walnuts but have to use real maple syrup. right before you put it in the oven put a pat of real butter in the center .
it is so yummy.
You forgot the mini-marshmallows! SACRILEGE!

Just kidding. That recipe looks wonderful. I will have to give it a try this Winter Solstice.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:34 AM

of course you can add marshmallows . trying to diet so i don't need the extra calories. really it is sweet enough.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times
Tastiest Catch – Alaskan Fisherwoman’s New Salmon Cookbook Will Get You Hooked

For LaDonna Gundersen, author of Salmon Desserts & Friends (paperback, 135 pages, $18.95), catching, cooking and eating salmon is her passion. A California girl, she got hooked on Alaska, fishing and husband Ole (not necessarily in that order!) more than twenty years ago and has never looked back. As chief deck hand and galley cook on the LaDonna Rose, their 32-foot commercial fishing vessel based in Ketchikan, Alaska, she’s responsible for all their meals.

Tastiest Catch

Met, you know this woman?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 AM

i will post some of traditional Odawa recipes this weekend. venison with wild rice and cherries. fry bread, and hamburger macaroni soup, all yummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: