Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM

115 posts, read 165,932 times

Advertisements

I guess I am trying to make sure I take good care of them... my daughter has enough on her mind being in Afghanistan without worrying I am damaging the kiddies. LOL.

I am ok with the dark, because I am more of a night person anyways... and I am enjoying the fact the kids go to bed early so I have a few hours to myself... I need it to keep my sanity.

If it weren't for those damn hot flashes a few times a night, I would be getting great sleep, too!

Thanks for the tips... overall, we are surviving OK... we just don't have a clean, tidy and organized house yet... maybe one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times
Kids don't care about tidy, as long as it's not filthy, they are good. Don't stress. A little kid mess is better anyway. have fun and enjoy those grandkids.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,564 times
I don't have kids, and I certainly don't mean to hijack, but the question about such long hours of darkness really hits home. I didn't notice it so much last winter, because my work schedule was such that it was usually light out when I left, and I was also able to see what daylight there was (cashier near the front of a store with a view of the glass entryway.) I like my current job much better, but I leave for work in the dark, leave for home in the dark, and am finding it very disorienting. There have been nights I was in bed at 8 or 9 because it *felt* so late to me that I felt tired, but of course I didn't sleep well at all until it was almost time to get up again.

Would a full-spectrum light, the kind they market for people with S.A.D., help with this, or is it something I just need to get used to?

This feels like the Alaskan version of an "OMG, I broke a nail" post, but I don't want to spend the next six months sleeping for 10 hours a night and still feeling tired.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
Hon. roll with the flow, this is new to you too, those babies are fine, "you" will adjust....the house will come.... You are just coming off deployment right? Give yourself time girl...All will fall into place and those kids sure don't care if they have their gramma Hugs to you for what you are doing, I am raising a grand at 55...1 month away from 56 and I have had her since she was 3...now 14...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Hon. roll with the flow, this is new to you too, those babies are fine, "you" will adjust....the house will come.... You are just coming off deployment right? Give yourself time girl...All will fall into place and those kids sure don't care if they have their gramma Hugs to you for what you are doing, I am raising a grand at 55...1 month away from 56 and I have had her since she was 3...now 14...
I am just back from Africa - talk about one extreme to the other! I'm in no way a perfectionist... but chaos bothers me... and I just haven't gotten into a good groove yet... a little downtime to transition would have helped, I think... but my daughter's deployment date moved up a few weeks, so I had to hurry up and pack and get up here.

The 5 year old has gotten into some bad habits (there was a nasty situation involving Dad, who is no longer in the picture - and I think my daughter tried to "make it up to her" and let the discipline slide)... so it is very trying with all the back-talk and attitude. Whoever thought a 5 year old had so much sass! I know she is going through a lot, so I am trying to remain calm, but it isn't easy.

God bless you, GR, for raising your granddaughter for the last 9 years - I'm trying to get my head around a year... so - kudos to you!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,687 times
Fearless, you'll be ok. Do give yourself and your grand daughter time to adjust. Don't expect too much too soon. You have a year, you'll get her settled down.

Littlejazzy, do you have any hobbies? Have you tried cross country skiing? Get out on your days off and get some fresh air and exercise. On the days you work, get an indoor hobby. I'm taking violin lessons this winter. Last winter I went to the gym and taught myself how to be a runner then ran a 10k in the sping. Also if you don't have kids, do you have friends? How about entertaining? It doesn't have to be a big deal. Invite some friends over for an early dinner so everyone can get home to be on time on a week night. You do get used to it.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm trying.... and doesn't it figure! Right after I write about how much the baby sleeps, didn't he have a bad night last night? Seemed like I got about an hour of sleep - everytime I tried to put him in his crib, he would scream. Yikes. I forgot how much fun that was! LOL.

Littlejazzy... hobbies are good, I used to bicycle with a group of women and in the winter, we would meet and play cards or Scrabble. Once things settle down here, I would like to get back into that kind of a groove.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
One of my kids acted like her crib was a bed of nails....ended up sleeping with her-ugh. Maybe the baby is teething or sick? Any drooling or ear tugging?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
When you put children to sleep; they sleep much better and undisturbed if you play classical music softly to relax their inner spirit. All four of my sons slept very soundly every night.

8:00 p.m. sharp. Was their bedtime; I needed my quiet time to relax and unwind from the stressful days.

Proper discipline takes time and much effort.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
all children are different....some need motion...to be walked, rocked, driven etc, some need soothing music, some just need to cry themselves to sleep, some need an extra something to eat or warmth...you will figure it out....try different things. Discipline is imparting your ideas of comfort on a child and not necessary what is their needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska