Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,164 times

Advertisements

So, 13 yrs in the making, we are going for it!
We are outdoor peoole who have been to Alaska multiple times, it's kinda like our special place. We thought it would be fitting to get married there. It's just us. No reception, family, friends...
I know that anyone can perform the ceremony in AK, (looked into all the details also about marriage license, officiants and such) there's paperwork to fill out. We do not know anyone in AK. So, are there people or companies that offer such a service?

Also, our extra special place is Denali National Park. Would love to hold the very very small ceremony somewhere in the park with a beautiful back drop. (The whole place is beautiful, I know, but you know what I mean).
Has anyone done this or know someone who has done this?
I know in the park, you first see the mountain at mile post 9(if its clear), savage river area is pretty too.
Thanks for any info!
Wearing hiking boots and a simple dress!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
You might try contacting one of the wedding planning companies. Being Alaska, most are used to non-traditional venues and I'm sure they would be very helpful. Here's a list:
Alaska Bride & Groom | Resource Directory | Wedding Planners

Denali would be a wonderful place! Check with the park service to see if it's allowed. There would be many good places. There's a spot down by the artists cabin along the east fork of the Toklat River with the mountain in the background that would be pretty neat.
Denali National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 25,255 times
When are you looking to do this?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 PM

I have tickets purchased for sept 12 - sept 19. I know the road lottery in Denali is going on the weekend of the 12th, so that may be a bit hwctic. If Denali is chosen, would probably wait until Tuesday the 16th.
I did email Denali NP and they said it was not a problem, no permit required!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
My wife and I got married by a friend of ours on the shore of Eklutna Lake last fall. The one thing that screwed us up a little was that you need to have two witnesses, NOT including the person doing the ceremony. So, a minimum of 5 people, total. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgal1976 View Post
I have tickets purchased for sept 12 - sept 19. I know the road lottery in Denali is going on the weekend of the 12th, so that may be a bit hwctic. If Denali is chosen, would probably wait until Tuesday the 16th.
I did email Denali NP and they said it was not a problem, no permit required!
You're choices of locations will be limited as the day after the lottery you can only drive to mile 30. Also, there is always the possibility for snow in September in Denali.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Something else the OP has to consider is the possibility of a last minute weather change, so have a plan B.

Most summers it's nice and sunny in the interior of Alaska, and by that time of the season (late August-September) the vegetation turns into a myriad of rust, yellow, and red colors that would provide a beautiful photo backdrop or background. But this year it has been raining for nearly two months, with just a few days of good weather between rainy days. Right now it's pouring all around Fairbanks after a couple of days of sunlight.

Anyway, maybe the OP can choose a secondary location to move to and have the ceremony, or at least keep an eye on the weather.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks for all who chimed in!
Since 2007, we have visited Alaska every September. Sometimes early Sept, sometimes later Sept. Yes! Plan b and c's are a must! Eklutna Lake is beautiful ! I love the fall colors in Alaska!
Yes, I knew that the road in Denali is only opened to mile 30, when I emailed the rangers ,, they suggested a few mile posts where we could get great shots of the mountain (if its out)! She suugested the Tek river overlook at mile 30. 2 witnesses, yep, fiance is thinking it will be piece of cake to grab 2 folks wherever we are, but I like to have things more concrete, so working on the witness part.
I did find a wedding officiant in Anchorage who will travel to various locations for an additional fee. I need to inquire how flexible they are as far as changing locations. Seward, Kenai Lake, Girdwood, Hope, Lowell Point, all other places we love and are options. We are wanting to stay the wedding night in a cabin possibly, I know we are getting into the off season, but have found quite a few year round cabins near all the places I have mentioned.
For Eklutna Lake, did u need a permit or anything special?
Thanks all!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Nah, no state park permit or anything. From what I remember though, you do have to specify a location on your application for a marriage certificate. For outdoor ceremonies, it can be really approximate (ours was just "Anchorage"), but switching from Denali to Seward at the last minute might cause problems.

And actually, on the 2nd of October, there was no one else around for the entire evening. That's what we wanted, but I'd definitely recommend figuring out the witness thing beforehand.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgal1976 View Post
I did find a wedding officiant in Anchorage who will travel to various locations for an additional fee. I need to inquire how flexible they are as far as changing locations.
Thanks all!
You may know this already but anyone can perform a wedding in Alaska. Even a friend or relative as heathen mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska