Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,704 times

Advertisements

So, I really hope these questions haven't been asked a thousand times, and if they have, I am super sorry!

The husband and I are going to try and take the leap and finally move to Alaska in July (Key word here is try.) Our big issue at the moment, between the Army National Guard and finding a new job, is that if he attempts to do either, he is very nervous that they will contact his current employer and give him away.

His employer...not a very nice guy, would fire him on the spot, and then we would never make it up there. Whatever move we make is going to be a very big move, and we need to make sure that he does not lose his job before then. We are selling pretty much everything we have save for our clothes when the time to go gets closer, so we are going up there to completely start over. Needless to say, in order to make sure all goes smooth, he cannot lose his job right now.

As far as where we are moving, we are torn between Soldotna and Nome...we live in Baton Rouge, LA right now, but we are really sick of living in cities.

What I'm asking here mostly, is, 1. Is there at least a chance he could get a job in Nome or Soldotna? He's a jack of all trades really. Infantry in the military, and currently he installs signs for a sign company called Thompson Electric Signs in Baton Rouge. He does welding, and electrical, he can build anything, and the guy is a Math wiz. He's a self starter and a leader, and a super fun guy.

Another question I want to know is, is there actually a lot of housing available in Nome?

We do not know much about it, as you can see, but now is as good a time as any to check it all out.

Please feel free to message me, as I probably have thousand more questions, and if you are actually from Nome or have ever lived there, I would really appreciate the insight.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Soldotna. Unless you have jobs beforehand you really shouldn't move to Nome. Housing is very tight there.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Soldotna. Unless you have jobs beforehand you really shouldn't move to Nome. Housing is very tight there.
Agreed.

For jobs: Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development or anchorage / mat-su all jobs classifieds - craigslist or http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/16_Em...Opportunities/

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
It's possible to get a job with a sign company here in Anchorage; that shouldn't be too much of a problem; but in this state in order to perform electrical work you need to be licensed by the state with a Certificate of Fitness.

Even non-union people need that State issued certificate to work (as an electrician). Anyone make apply and request to take this exam; its a four hour tough open book exam.

75 questions (open code book) is allowed. That gives you about 3 minutes per question. You don't have time to search for the answers; you either know that book or you don't!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
If he is everything you say he is than he should be able to get a job in the Soldotna area.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
As for your husband's boss finding out, just put your phone number in the spot for a "Boss" contact, if they call you can just say the minimum to get by, but on the application, just say please don't contact, so if they do, you have some say in the outcome. But most don't check the current boss if asked not to for obvious reasons, but you never know... If the boss is that vindictive about someone trying to improve their life, I wouldn't worry too much about him at all if he would fire your husband for inquiring. Sounds like a good place to be done with to me!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
I would look for work in Soldotna first, certainly it is not a Baton Rouge size town, then decide where you might want to go from a few years there, if you even want to stay in AK....start out slow, not the big jump into off the road system because if you decide it is not for you, then you need to move...Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
+1 Agree with Grannysroost

If you only knew the high cost of living in Alaska, you would first have jobs line-up ahead of time. While there are more jobs available in Alaska (around 8% unemployment) than in a lot of other States, most jobs are temporary and part-time. It means that there are a lot of people already in Alaska looking for work ahead of you. However, if you don't have children and a lot of expenses it may be a lot easier, but you will need a lot of cash for the initial expenses.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
What appeals to you about Nome?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Nome is beautiful. When I picture "Alaska" in my mind, it looks like Nome. It's also pretty rugged and has some pretty extreme weather. Lots of drunks. And EXPENSIVE. It's nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Nome also has only basic medical services. If something bad happens, even something relatively minor, flying back and forth is very expensive. Make sure you have medevac insurance. My daughter had to be medevaced to Seattle from SE Alaska and the bill was $108,000.00 The annual premium on the insurance is only $125 per family/year.

It's not tough finding a job in most places in Alaska, although it is tough finding a good-paying job or at least one with health care benefits. A lot of the unemployed are that way by choice, or they work seasonally and draw unemployment part of the year. The numbers are skewed here. I've co-owned two businesses that required employees and know first hand how shallow the employment pool is here when you're offering minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska