Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Any body have anything to say about this? This seem somewhat contradictory to what Ive researched...it does seem to be a 2 income state, a family cant live on 1 income generally..
I haven't seen that. I've experienced a higher pay to compensate for the higher cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
LOL, there's probably somebody on the Jersey forum saying the exact same thing to someone else. I've lived in Alaska 14 years and spent time in Jersey as well. There are places in Jersey I can not afford to live.
I have lived in NJ, NYC, Hartford, Sacramento, and a few other places, but that was several years ago (ne of my brothers works and lives in NJ). There are places all over the US where one can't afford living unless one is very rich, but my point is as follows: the data one can collect on the Internet about the cost of living does not tell you the whole story. The average cost of living, at least in the interior of Alaska is a lot higher than the average cost of living of most States in the US. That's the reason why military members and government employees receive COLA and HOLA.

While is most places in the lower-48 one has to drive short distances to a variety of stores, that's not the case in most places in Alaska, except if living in one of the major cities. In here one often has to travel long distances just to buy groceries.

The Fairbanks North Start Borough's "Quarterly Report" would give you a better idea relating to the cost of living in the interior of Alaska compared to other data on the Internet.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
I am completely and utterly content if it never gets over 75.
Same here. The Interior is nice, but for my tastes it's both too hot and too cold. They can also have serious problems with wildfires in the summer (and haziness/smokiness as a result). If you like cool, often cloudy weather, great scenery, and don't mind some slushiness in the winter you might look into towns on the southern coast and in Southeast.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I haven't really noticed that pay in Alaska is higher to offset the cost of living increase. I've had jobs that paid more in Oregon. My family ate a lot better in the lower 48.
You are correct about that. In the private sector wages aren't that high unless one has a real good job. By average the higher wages exist in the public sector. For example, newly hired general non-licensed maintenance workers to include janitors (State or borough jobs), begin at over $14.00 per hour plus benefits (health insurance and such). But that's not the case in the private sector for the same kind of jobs. One may be able to make around $10.00 per hour for janitorial work, without benefits of any kind. All you have to do is to look at the newly posted State workers' wages on the Internet, and be prepared for a shock

Active duty military members receive housing and other allowances to compensate for the higher cost of living in Alaska. Once they go back to the lower-48, then these allowances are not longer offered to them.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Any body have anything to say about this? This seem somewhat contradictory to what Ive researched...it does seem to be a 2 income state, a family cant live on 1 income generally..
I think it depends on the job, how the family lives, etc. People who bought outside the boroughs (no property taxes) before real estate went up do the best, I think. People just moving up and are going to rent for while...that can be expensive. In your field, though, you should be fine--I think you'll have more choices about what part of the state you want to live in than others in different fields.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
I think the old advice of taking a visit first is in order... But it doesn't sound like that is possible.

Some of the extra/higher cost of living is dependent on your lifestyle. For example, we spend a decent amount of gas just going to and from work and taking the kids to/from school and activities. If I was retired and the kids were grown up (and working, etc...) then the cost of Auto Gas wouldn't matter as much, but right now that is a big deal. In AK how are you heating the house? Is that in the rent? Electric Heat, Natural Gas, Coal, pellet stove, fireplace, fuel oil, better yet combinations of multiple sources would be nice so that if one malfunctions you are not out of heat and you can take advantage of whatever is cheaper at the time.

They are many other comparisons to make, this is just one. You need to figure out what your staples in life are and how much more (or less, but I doubt that) they will cost in AK. You may be pleasantly surprised or horrified. You may not even be able to get some of your favorite foods, according to what is posted here.

I went to a conference and met a US ex-pat that is living in Australia - and he went FOOD shopping while he was here in the USA because there are certain brands and types of foods he just can't get in Australia and shipping it is cost prohibitive. So he took advantage of being here for another reason to stock up.

I am just an outsider/lower 48er looking in and researching too.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:14 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I think the old advice of taking a visit first is in order... But it doesn't sound like that is possible.

Some of the extra/higher cost of living is dependent on your lifestyle. For example, we spend a decent amount of gas just going to and from work and taking the kids to/from school and activities. If I was retired and the kids were grown up (and working, etc...) then the cost of Auto Gas wouldn't matter as much, but right now that is a big deal. In AK how are you heating the house? Is that in the rent? Electric Heat, Natural Gas, Coal, pellet stove, fireplace, fuel oil, better yet combinations of multiple sources would be nice so that if one malfunctions you are not out of heat and you can take advantage of whatever is cheaper at the time.

They are many other comparisons to make, this is just one. You need to figure out what your staples in life are and how much more (or less, but I doubt that) they will cost in AK. You may be pleasantly surprised or horrified. You may not even be able to get some of your favorite foods, according to what is posted here.

I went to a conference and met a US ex-pat that is living in Australia - and he went FOOD shopping while he was here in the USA because there are certain brands and types of foods he just can't get in Australia and shipping it is cost prohibitive. So he took advantage of being here for another reason to stock up.

I am just an outsider/lower 48er looking in and researching too.
Another reason we want to have so much money put aside for this is that if I get an offer, we will go and visit before we make a definate decision. The last thing I want is the first time I ever go to this place is when Im pulling in with my kid and gear in tow and I hate it. And I havent decided specifically where Im going to be living and when I get to the point of actually applying for jobs I will be investigating whatever areas in depth so I choose the best one for our family and our future.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Quote:
Another reason we want to have so much money put aside for this is that if I get an offer, we will go and visit before we make a definate decision. The last thing I want is the first time I ever go to this place is when Im pulling in with my kid and gear in tow and I hate it. And I havent decided specifically where Im going to be living and when I get to the point of actually applying for jobs I will be investigating whatever areas in depth so I choose the best one for our family and our future.

Sounds like you have a great plan... I wish you the best.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
actually, active duty military members get BAH based on the cost of living no matter where they are. for instance, if they are stationed in San Diego, they may get $2500/month for rent (if they choose not to live in base housing), or if they are stationed in Ft Sill, OK, they might get $900/month for rent (if they choose not to live in post housing). it all depends on how expensive it is to live where their duty station is.

federal employees (civil service) get locality pay based on where they work (extra income to offset more expensive locales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Active duty military members receive housing and other allowances to compensate for the higher cost of living in Alaska. Once they go back to the lower-48, then these allowances are not longer offered to them.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
actually, active duty military members get BAH based on the cost of living no matter where they are. for instance, if they are stationed in San Diego, they may get $2500/month for rent (if they choose not to live in base housing), or if they are stationed in Ft Sill, OK, they might get $900/month for rent (if they choose not to live in post housing). it all depends on how expensive it is to live where their duty station is.

federal employees (civil service) get locality pay based on where they work (extra income to offset more expensive locales).
It's the same as COLA and HOLA, except that the name has been changed, which happened after I retired. But I don't disagree with you about the allowances; these are adjusted in accordance to the cost of housing. By the way, if you decide to live on base, then the allowance is used to pay for the house. Base housing, at least at Eielson, are constructed and managed by civilians. The military leases these houses.
http://eielsonhousing.com/bah.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska