Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM

398 posts, read 629,308 times

Advertisements

i have tried finding work with trident several times.
i am US citizen, i tried working for them in the slime line, i have experience in the restaurant industry and tried working as a dish washer, cook, and even janitor but every time i apply i am turned down?
I have a high school diploma and i am a college graduate.
are there just few jobs left in alaska or is there some other reason i am getting turned down?
I know unemployment is a huge issue in the states i guess jobs are just very rare but these big fishing companies are always looking for new blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM

of course i meant fishing jobs. is there any way to edit this post?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
How are they turning you down? What I mean by that is--are they flat out telling you no or are they just not responding to your application? Are you using their online application process?

I'm not sure about Trident, but sometimes the apps are only kept active for a short period of time. Maybe you've applied during times of the year when they aren't hiring. When was the last time you applied?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
April is one of the busiest months for Seafood Processing recruitments in Alaska. There are several recruitment sessions going on at the Midtown Job Center in Anchorage that include:
Great Pacific Seafoods April 19 & 20
North Pacific Seafoods April 30-May3
Trident Seafoods April 27
At-Sea Processors April 26
http://jobs.alaska.gov/jobfairs/index.html

With the issue of the processors being limited this year regarding J-1 Visas, they are hiring in the lower 48 as well and include transportation to Alaska. I saw a recruitment session in Seattle for May as well that was being advertised by DOL in WA State for Big Creek in Bristol Bay.
http://www.wa.gov/esd/calendar.htm

If you’re not in Alaska go to your local job center office and have them help. As with most jobs, it does help to be in a recruiting location such as Anchorage, Seattle, Phoenix, etc. The processors have had to recruit more actively in the lower 48 for their Alaska positions due to the new Visa requirement.

The recruiters are very good. They will look you in the eye and ask if you can stand on your feet for 14 hours per day cutting the heads off of fish. Regardless of what you say, they will have a pretty good feel for if you can do it.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:26 PM

i have been on the east coast so it has been hard for me to apply in person. i have been doing it online. i suppose if i had a in person interview my odds we be much better

Old 04-18-2012, 02:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Road trip...

Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
i have been on the east coast so it has been hard for me to apply in person. i have been doing it online. i suppose if i had a in person interview my odds we be much better

Make phone calls to the places you really want to work. 743,891 other people also filled out the online applications.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Make phone calls to the places you really want to work. 743,891 other people also filled out the online applications.
wow. i did not know i had so much competition.
I have wanted to live and work in Alaska since i was a teenager and when i would talk to my friends or anyone i know about it their response is always the same ' why in the hell would anyone want to go to Alaska!?' or ' hell no its way to cold there'
I fancy adventure, challenge, hard work and the rewards it has and i want to see the amazing land of one of the last frontier and see a different landscape and culture within america i guess there are nuff people like me or people are just desperate for jobs and money in this day and age.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Road trip...
maybe. i hear there are some places in southern cali to apply and i have friends in that area i may make a trip out of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blan View Post
wow. i did not know i had so much competition.
I have wanted to live and work in Alaska since i was a teenager and when i would talk to my friends or anyone i know about it their response is always the same ' why in the hell would anyone want to go to Alaska!?' or ' hell no its way to cold there'
I fancy adventure, challenge, hard work and the rewards it has and i want to see the amazing land of one of the last frontier and see a different landscape and culture within america i guess there are nuff people like me or people are just desperate for jobs and money in this day and age.
I just love it when people who have never been here try to tell other people what it's like to live in Alaska-pure ignorance! Ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska