Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:19 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,019 times

Advertisements

I agree with you about a few things.

Yes, there is too much hatred.

Yes, we are dangerously divided as a nation.

Yes, we need to find some way of uniting to face these difficult times.

I do, however, have one question. Where is that common ground? Is it simply a matter of one side of an argument yielding to another, which seems unlikely, or do we begin by actually listening to people who embrace differing views?

As for income enhancement, that is all well and good, but if the fiscal armageddon you and The Donald are predicting comes to pass, the only people who will have real security are the ones with the means and skill to gather, grow, or hunt their own food.

A lot of good suggestions have been made here, although, as several have pointed out, not all are accessible to everyone. I do wish that we could stick to that, instead of spinning alarmist fantasies that are more likely to engender despair than ambition. I'm not discounting the possibility of a complete fiscal/social collapse - it has certainly happened before, in many places. But to suggest creating the next pet rock as protection against such a disaster seems disingenuous to me. Starving people don't buy knick-knacks, they buy food, when they can buy anything at all.

I want to clarify something. I think both of these topics are worthy of discussion. I just don't see how they are the same. One is about building wealth, and the other is about survival when wealth, beyond food, clothing, and shelter, would be meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
I'm a Milner's dream! Been working for myself and others since I was 12. Some people just aren't as flexible or creative in ways of making a living. Some are better at it then me.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,019 times
A lot of us were taught wrong. It's not our parents' fault, they taught from their experience: make safe choices, forget your dreams and take the "practical" path, because it will bring security.

It worked when they were young. It doesn't seem to work so well, anymore, but those habits are hard to break when anything innovative or daring was condemned as too "risky."

I think perhaps it is even worse for kids who never perfected the art of being "safe," yet also had all shreds of creativity discouraged out of them.

Okay, yeah, I haven't whined before, but I am now. Sorry.

Update/edit/end of whine: Actually, I did have an idea once for a business. Maybe it could still work. No, I am not sharing it here. xD

Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM

305 posts, read 683,094 times
Ninety-nine percent of discussions on survival-type topics I've read or listened to are flawed to the extent of assuming there will remain some semblance of being *able* to take advantage of preparations. There is the assumption land will be arable, good water will be available when stored sources are exhausted, and other elements of existence will be agreeable to life. Who's to say.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I agree with you about a few things.

Yes, there is too much hatred.

Yes, we are dangerously divided as a nation.

Yes, we need to find some way of uniting to face these difficult times.

I do, however, have one question. Where is that common ground? Is it simply a matter of one side of an argument yielding to another, which seems unlikely, or do we begin by actually listening to people who embrace differing views?

As for income enhancement, that is all well and good, but if the fiscal armageddon you and The Donald are predicting comes to pass, the only people who will have real security are the ones with the means and skill to gather, grow, or hunt their own food.

A lot of good suggestions have been made here, although, as several have pointed out, not all are accessible to everyone. I do wish that we could stick to that, instead of spinning alarmist fantasies that are more likely to engender despair than ambition. I'm not discounting the possibility of a complete fiscal/social collapse - it has certainly happened before, in many places. But to suggest creating the next pet rock as protection against such a disaster seems disingenuous to me. Starving people don't buy knick-knacks, they buy food, when they can buy anything at all.

I want to clarify something. I think both of these topics are worthy of discussion. I just don't see how they are the same. One is about building wealth, and the other is about survival when wealth, beyond food, clothing, and shelter, would be meaningless.
You missed. The point, not everyone is going to sell/buy Pet Rocks, it was the one person that had the idea. Another person came up with the smiley face, but never patented it, and someone else stole the idea..

Point is, you have to think for yourself, and the modern world has made us have the Government think for us. Every mega Corporation had someone with an idea and went with it, but now we are played like a fiddle and told "the rich are bad".

I don't like Walmart and only shop there when I have to, I don't like what they have evolved into, but they do a service just the same. I don't wish them any ill though, they do what they do because the buying public lets them. If everyone decided to shop elsewhere, they would simply ceast to exist.

But any business starts with an idea, and then someone had to take the first step of putting that into a real service or product. But it takes more backbone than the average person is willing to use. Working somewhere else is what is safe for them.

College trains you to work for someone else, many people that were successful with a business dropped out of high school, not always, but often!

I guess that is why liberalism is so popular, "Let us take care of you". Course that rubs me the wrong way, everyone should take care of themselves, and "Then" help those that truely can't take care of themselves, but it has become a lifestyle of many that are just lazy and want someone else to do the heavy lifting in life.

Last edited by starlite9; 05-10-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,976 times
I keep hearing - there are not enough jobs to go around!

I was faced with that same dilemma in the 60's- I had to travel to find work

I was faced with that same dilemma in the 70's- I had to travel to find work

I was faced with that same dilemma in the 80's- I had to travel to find work

I was faced with that same dilemma in the 90's- I had to travel to find work

I retired Feb of 2000 @ the young age of 50!

Nothing new about looking for work- GO WHERE THE WORK is!! Quite simple actually!! The occupy mindset wants everything handed to them on their terms.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

811 posts, read 1,317,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I keep hearing - there are not enough jobs to go around!

I retired Feb of 2000 @ the young age of 50!
Why is it that the people who seem to get flamed on here have retired at age 50-.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Why is it that the people who seem to get flamed on here have retired at age 50-.

Well I would assume that they worked very hard all their life and the get upset when they hear younger people whine they have a minimum wage job that sucks.

Sity is right though, when things were bad where I was at, I haved moved to where the jobs were/are. Currently there is a oil boom going on in the western States, and they were/are having a labor shortage and even companies from Alaska have moved there big time. At some point that too will Fade and someplace else will be the big thing.

People see the "Reality" shows in Alaska and think because they saw a show where everyone makes money they want to come here. What they don't realize is that the Alaska's population is less than most smaller cities in the States. So those chances of sucess "As Seen on TV" are pretty slim.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Even if everyone traveled to find work right now, there still aren't enough jobs to go around. And sure, ND is experiencing a bit of an oil boom, but people have nowhere to live over there. I guess now that it's warmed up some they can live in their cars; many of them are. But how is that feasible for people with families?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM

49 posts, read 83,626 times
Starlite, here's an article that's very much in line with what you're talking about here. The woman didn't do anything 'wrong'. She has a job, she's contributing to the community, but she can't get by without welfare.

It's not all black & white, even though a lot of people seem to think it is. The whole social/job environment is sick, and blaming the people for not being able to 'get over it' when they weren't healthy in the first place (in terms of being able to support themselves) is not helping anything. But the 'help' that keeps getting pushed on us by the government is keeping us sick. At least in my opinion...I don't see how it's making us any better. Inflation alone is going to gut us.

We need a reset button.

But at least I know what I'm doing, my plan. Hopefully it works, and hopefully it doesn't take too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska