Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisaum View Post
Bay Area of California. It's very expensive here, I need a degree to be able to get a job that can happily sustain me, and there's just too many people. More people means more competition for everything.

As for getting an education, right now, I'm just waiting on the 18th when there's a counseling session and talk how to get back into college. If not, then I'll have to do what they say, or start in a 2 year then transfer to a 4 year college, or think of another plan. I'll find a way, I have to. Job Corps does not look like a place for someone like me. I will feel uncomfortable dealing with people who do go there.

It's hard when I don't have parents to look out for me and guide me during my younger years. I have to learn everything on my own. It looks like people are discouraging me to go to Alaska and become "homeless", to escape. It gives me a second thought before really going to Alaska.
If you'd be uncomfortable with Job Corp people, trust me you don't want to be down and out in Alaska. There are a lot of seedy places and people in lower income areas, or camped out in parks or wild areas. It's really difficult to just come up here without solid survival skills if you want to do a solo wild adventure like Chris McCandless. You will burn more calories getting the food than you will gain by eating it. But yes, California, especially where you are at is ridiculously expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 12:15 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Alaska's definitely not the place, too many people end up homeless and then corpsicles in the winter. Best to be in a place with decent winters if you think you might end up homeless.

I knew a young Druid once who told me he went from town to town doing temp work at one of those rent-a-bum places like Labor Ready, where they pay the same day you do the work, or next day (in fact that's where I met him). He was at peace with his lifestyle, staying at cheap motels, camping, homeless shelters or whatever ......... learning whatever lessons could be learned at each place, waiting for the right place to settle.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:37 AM

37 posts, read 274,495 times
It's not because I want to do adventures. It's because I'm tired of struggling to live in an expensive metropolitan area like the Bay Area, especially when I'm in unfavorable and unfortunate circumstances compared to other people who are better off here.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
It's not because I want to do adventures. It's because I'm tired of struggling to live in an expensive metropolitan area like the Bay Area, especially when I'm in unfavorable and unfortunate circumstances compared to other people who are better off here.
It's pretty much the same deal here but I will concede that Alaska may be a tad bit cheaper than San Fran but it gets and stays very cold here. It's a whole different animal.

This may sound silly but check out Fayetteville, Arkansas. I lived there for 14 years. They have a good college and fairly good economy with a cheap cost of living, and the people are not what you might picture in your mind as an Arkansan. It's a college town so there is plenty to do and the whole area is brimming with opportunity.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Well, that's what Oregon is for. Or Sacramento.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
Alaska is full of people with the same stories. But like stated before you must be tough to live up here.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
This may sound silly but check out Fayetteville, Arkansas. I lived there for 14 years. They have a good college and fairly good economy with a cheap cost of living, and the people are not what you might picture in your mind as an Arkansan. It's a college town so there is plenty to do and the whole area is brimming with opportunity.
Arkansas is one of the southern states. How does Fayetteville treat other races?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:27 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Bay Area of California. It's very expensive here, I need a degree to be able to get a job that can happily sustain me, and there's just too many people. More people means more competition for everything.

As for getting an education, right now, I'm just waiting on the 18th when there's a counseling session and talk how to get back into college. If not, then I'll have to do what they say, or start in a 2 year then transfer to a 4 year college, or think of another plan. I'll find a way, I have to. Job Corps does not look like a place for someone like me. I will feel uncomfortable dealing with people who do go there.

It's hard when I don't have parents to look out for me and guide me during my younger years. I have to learn everything on my own. It looks like people are discouraging me to go to Alaska and become "homeless", to escape. It gives me a second thought before really going to Alaska.
Trust me, you do not want to be homeless in Alaska from about October to May....

Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Trust me, you do not want to be homeless in Alaska from about October to May....
How harsh and cold does the winter months get?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Snow for 7 months of the year. Cold enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska