Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:13 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have some questions about possibly relocationg to the great state of Alaska. I'm currently a college senior, majoring in aviation. I graduate in April. While my first choice is to find a job in my home state of Michigan, I've also heard that there were many aviation jobs in Alaska, which might work for me. Since I was a kid I've had this strange desire to live way up north, and I'm from Michigan, so I'm used to the cold. I'm specifically interested in northern Alaska: Barrow, Wainwright, Kotzebue, Coldfoot, Nome, or some smaller villages around those areas. I hate big cities, so I want to stay away from Fairbanks and Anchorage. Anyone from those areas that can give me some info from a local's perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
I believe you'll enjoy Alaska far more than staying in Michigan, but I'll leave the particulars to the fine folks of Alaska.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,987 times
Default Returning to Alaska

We have been doing the travel nursing gig for about 3 years and can't wait to return to Alaska, We have lived in the Bush and in Anchorage, the bush is the only way to go. Sign up with the Alaska Job Center online it can help you search employment options in all the bush villages etc. Good Luck, and happy exploring in the last frontier.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,710 times
i too am a travel nurse. i just got back from hawaii ( i live in ohio) and my agency is trying hard to get me to go to anchorage. im worried about the cost of food & i drive a dodge stratus, not exactly a 4 wheel drive! any tips you could give me would be great.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Anchorage is a 1st class city full of modern amenities and reasonable food prices. As long as you have good winter tires a front wheel drive car will get around fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondnursey View Post
i too am a travel nurse. i just got back from hawaii ( i live in ohio) and my agency is trying hard to get me to go to anchorage. im worried about the cost of food & i drive a dodge stratus, not exactly a 4 wheel drive! any tips you could give me would be great.
Costs shouldn't be too different from Hawaii, maybe even a little cheaper, except for gas (go figure).

Old 01-13-2009, 02:09 PM

51 posts, read 147,884 times
Default Too cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondnursey View Post
If you liked Hawaii you won't like Anchorage. It snows here until May and it is cold too!Brrrr
The pay may be good but nothing is worth the misery of dark days and snow six months of the year. Just my opinion. Some people love it. Go figure!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
My guess is that Kazoo is one of those people who will move to Alaska and love it. I know people like that - who love the north, the winter, making a life out of their own two hands. I'm guessing that blondnursery probably not so much. I didn't really research Alaska that much. I think that unless you love winter, it will really get to you.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
lol, Kitty, I think everyone gets it...you hate Alaska. There are many flights that leave on a daily basis. Why are you still here?

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Warpt, it's not that easy to move; though I'm sure she is planning on it. And her post wasn't hateful in the least. She's right; you do have to love winter.

At least when she talks about wanting to leave; she's being honest. Alaska isn't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska