Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,690 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound pathetic... My husband and I were both born in Anchorage & grew up there. We went to UAF for college and headed back down to Anchorage for our careers and started our family. We now live in Fairbanks after living in Wasilla for a couple of years (his work moved us up here). We are now considering leaving Alaska since we have never been out (vacations, yes). So, what about the lower 48 is good? What makes people live there verses here? Yes, I know about the weather and light issues here... that is a given that we live with, but what makes everyone leave and come here? We DON'T want to make a mistake and then rush back because we don't like it there. I guess I just want to hear the pros and cons, without any rants of different states verses Alaska.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times
First of all, do you have any idea where you want to go and have you checked out employment there? I have been to many of the lower 48 States in the past several years. There was something in each I liked and naturally something I didn't like. No place is perfect. You will find it different, it's hard for me to explain; if you'll go you will experience it for yourself, and I am originally from the lower 48. I've been up here 9-years now.

If I had an idea of where you'd like to go in the lower 48 and if I've been there I could give you more information and make somewhat of a comparison.

I think alot of people are moving up here because some still think it's the land of milk and honey with high paying jobs galore; others because they want to experience the beauty and the vastness of AK., and may be living in crowded, crime-ridden cities and/or all of the above.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM

My husband keeps talking about the UP Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, or Kentuky. Maybe Texas. All very different places. We would love to live in Oregon, but I don't think that is a good choice. High taxes and they are strict on home schooling, which we do.
We are watching a certain company that he could get on with. He would apply to the job in one of the states we want to go to. I guess my biggest issue is thinking it will be like Alaska. I love it here, and the people, but I just wonder what the draw is to the states??? Are we missing something? My entire family has moved out and lives across the US from Oregon to Arizona, to Texas, and Tenn. We can't afford to fly out to visit any more... $800 a pop is just too much; especially for a family of 5.
As I bather on... I think we are looking for four seasons and good people. We would not move without the job being a lock.
Thanks for asking.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,547,268 times
I know a couple of families who went on vacation with their furniture and I know some who are happy they moved south, so it can go either way for you. The pros include cheaper prices in some locations, more things to do, you can drive to several states in several days versus driving several days to get to another state, etc. The cons include much more crowding, much more traffic and traffic jams, lack of employment, etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Like Pat says there are usually a few good things about each state. But right now is not the time to uproot yourselves and move down here especially without jobs. Come down for a couple weeks and explore a bit of the rest of the country.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anch-Wasilla-Fairbanks View Post
This is going to sound pathetic... My husband and I were both born in Anchorage & grew up there. We went to UAF for college and headed back down to Anchorage for our careers and started our family. We now live in Fairbanks after living in Wasilla for a couple of years (his work moved us up here). We are now considering leaving Alaska since we have never been out (vacations, yes). So, what about the lower 48 is good? What makes people live there verses here? Yes, I know about the weather and light issues here... that is a given that we live with, but what makes everyone leave and come here? We DON'T want to make a mistake and then rush back because we don't like it there. I guess I just want to hear the pros and cons, without any rants of different states verses Alaska.
Thanks!
I think sometimes people desire a drastic change, and a freeing of all ties to one area until they get snared by the new ones in the future home. There is a brief moment of euphoria with the blank slate ahead, the untraveled road.

I grew up in the interior, have lived in Anchorage and Arkansas and Oregon. I dearly miss everywhere I have ever lived. What I miss most is leaving a full life with comfort zones and friends and family and putting myself in an alien (yet potentially exciting environment). It's a risk. You could miss things and never be able to go back to that place in the same way. But then you could be finding new loves, that satisfy other desires you have.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM

It is funny. I had not thought of it that way. My husband and I have moved 5 times in our 16 years of marriage... all in Alaska. He thinks we are just trying to prep us for moving out. My fears go like this... I remember having a bit on anxiety when stuck in traffic on Northern Lights at the curve right before East High if you are travelling West. It was a grey morning, snowing, and traffic was stuck. I felt trapped in the traffic with no way out. Later I would think of Anchorage the same way... there are only two roads out - one north, one south. I loved Wasilla... Fairbanks is not so bad once the sun shines again. When driving in Texas with my parents, you could NEVER get away from people. I would think, this is like Alaska... a road with no houses - we can go on for a while! Then there would be a house. I guess I was surprised it was not like travelling the highway up to Talkeetna where there are massive open areas with no houses visable. Just thought it was a hard thing to stomach with so many people. I am not sure I can live where you don't have space.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
Perspective from someone considering moving from western Washington to Alaska: the main reason for me is that I'm tired of the overbuilding and crowding, and I'm looking for an area which has more open space to offer me the remote tranquility which has largely disappeared around here. People are coming to WA in droves, and a lot of my favorite areas have been lost to greedy developers- vast areas of trees mowed down and houses thrown up all in the name of a buck. Prices on acreage have been pushed to extreme levels where no honest, hard working person interested in farming, gardening, or horses can realistically afford them. Some people call it progress, but I call it destruction. I cannot stand heat and want to be near the sea, so Alaska seems a fit for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Then you would not want to move to the East Coast. Its very crowded here.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Stover, Missouri is where my husband is looking the hardest... he wants to have a huge garden, horses, maybe some cattle (not sure about the larger livestock!), chickens, and bring our wood cook stove. He would love to live off grid. We were trying to figure out how to do it up here... that is what brought me to this sight and all of your good advice. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska