Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post

I'm not doubting what you say, but if the fishining industry is in such a huge decline, how do rich folk keep eating seafood in Manhatten??? I read both the Maine and Alaskan forums and both say fisihing industries are declining, however the restaurant business is fine.
What the people are paying in Manhattan is not really any indication of how the fisheries are doing. In fact, the more scarce a food (such as truffles, or lobster...) the more in demand it will be among the wealthy Americans, so actually you will find more of it (and pay more for it) the less available it becomes. The truth is- there are less fishermen that are doing well (financially) from the profession of fishing than there used to be, and the numbers are dwindling. Of course you have the successful ones, but there are a whole lot of houses and pick-up trucks around here that are reposessed every year from hardworking lobstermen who just couldn't make enough to pay their bills. And though I am talking about Maine and not Alaskan fisheries, there is a lot similar, even with the vast geographical differences between the two, and the difference in the kind of fish that are being caught. My father has been a commercial lobsterman for nearly 60 years. I would love for my own son to be able to also be a lobsterman, but if he does, it will be for the love of fishing and the ocean, not for the love (or prospect) of money. He's only 8, though, so we have time to iron that one out.

Quote:
You say you're crippled at 60. Well let me ask you this. Is working behind a desk a ticket to live forever? People get old. I will get old. Working a deskjob isn't going to prevent that. It's what you do when you're young thats important. So many people are concerned about the future. I am too, but i'm not going to let that or fear or anything get in that way. I need adventure, life and death, sail to hell and back. I want an adventure of a lifetime even if it kills me. What's important in life is not a plan of retirement, it's your life and the life of the future generation. That's just my opinion.
Yeah- but what risk do you have at a desk job of stepping on some greasy fish guts and slipping across the deck and falling on and breaking some body part or another? And if you did that at a desk job, you would likely have something to help while you recover- workman's comp, health insurance, etc. Try to get health insurance once your occupation is listed as a commercial fisherman- the last quote we had (just for him, not even including me or our son) for health insurance was in the ballpark of $1200/month... and that was with the $5000 deductible. It's not about just getting old- it's about actually being "used up" and lame when you get there. Bad backs, torn ligaments, crushed limb and digits, various stitch-worthy wounds, being "diesel deaf"- all occupational hazzards, along with death and dismemberment. Rarely do I hear of those things being issues in an office job...

Try it though- if nothing else, it will certainly be an adventure! (And the scenery isn't too shabby , either!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,500 times
Default moving to kodiak

hello, I was really just looking for some local suggestion and comments on daily life in Kodiak. My boyfriend is a commercial fisherman for about 4 years now, and in order for me to EVER see him I have decided to move to Kodiak for awhile while he fishes close to this area for dec-feb. I am a little nervous to take on such an adventure by myself (he leaves in 4 days), and am just looking for some reassurance that this may prove to be an experience of a lifetime like I think it will. I am incredibly independent and get bored very easily so the whole job market kind of worries me. I have fear of being stuck at home in Kodiak in the middle of winter. Any comments will do. I take the good with the bad!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
Hey thanks for the honest straight talk. Wondering what a greenhorn could honestly expect to make doing this and how long could he expect to be gone on his first trip out? I feel I'm up to the challenge. You can reply to my e-mail.... [email]ronin_gregory@yahoo.com[/email]. Thanks for your time.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Get a one way ticket, they hire off the docks all the time!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
*kicks Warpt*

Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM

41 posts, read 188,152 times
Quote:
Well, if people come to make an overnight fortune they are morons. Simple as that.

I'm not doubting what you say, but if the fishining industry is in such a huge decline, how do rich folk keep eating seafood in Manhatten??? I read both the Maine and Alaskan forums and both say fisihing industries are declining, however the restaurant business is fine.

I'm 23 right now and have been hard working no complaining all my life. Farmer, house painter, carpenter. I am considering taking a trip to Alaska in March. I plan to look for a job. I have doubts about getting one. But if i did, i wouldn't expect a fortune. I would expect pay, but no different than what i make now. Money isn't what i'm in search for. I'd stay in New York for that. However, if i fail to get a job, it'll still be one hell of an adventure.

You say you're crippled at 60. Well let me ask you this. Is working behind a desk a ticket to live forever? People get old. I will get old. Working a deskjob isn't going to prevent that. It's what you do when you're young thats important. So many people are concerned about the future. I am too, but i'm not going to let that or fear or anything get in that way. I need adventure, life and death, sail to hell and back. I want an adventure of a lifetime even if it kills me. What's important in life is not a plan of retirement, it's your life and the life of the future generation. That's just my opinion.
After six years since I posted, I misdoubt you'll see this but ... that's pretty much what I did, and for the same reasons. All in all, more or less glad I did. Positives, negatives, ....

Hope it worked out for you, stranger.

BTW: I hear the GoodYear XTratufs have much declined in quality in recent years. Don't know what other boot to suggest, but you'll need a GOOD pair. Stay away from the sailboat boots.

Ken

Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Like said before get a round trip ticket before you go to anyplace in AK to work in the fishing industry. If you can live in town I would guess that might help to get a foot in the door, but I know it is expensive and hard to find a place to live. Also most of these people that work on the boats were practically born to work on them, often family owned boats. I would certainly guess if you were 60 and had worked in that field most of your life that you would be pretty beaten up by now, but I bet you would have some darn good stories to tell.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM

60 posts, read 74,369 times
Quote:
Well, if people come to make an overnight fortune they are morons. Simple as that.

I'm 23 right now and have been hard working no complaining all my life. Farmer, house painter, carpenter. I am considering taking a trip to Alaska in March. I plan to look for a job. I have doubts about getting one. But if i did, i wouldn't expect a fortune. I would expect pay, but no different than what i make now. Money isn't what i'm in search for. I'd stay in New York for that. However, if i fail to get a job, it'll still be one hell of an adventure.

i like your attitude ...sounds like it aint a fishing boat you need its the french foriegn legion.. good luck

Old 10-06-2017, 05:45 PM

41 posts, read 188,152 times
BUMP

ITDIncor

Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post
BUMP

ITDIncor

ITDIncor, you have a "Brigadoon" thread here, it appears out of the mists for a few posts every two to three years or so, then vanishes back into the mists...

One question, where were you during the Klondike Gold Rush? This advice would have equally applied, maybe even more so. Seems like sound advice and a good heads up to anyone considering the life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska