Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM

63 posts, read 168,575 times

Advertisements

U-Haul has such a monopoly on the moving equipment market, that they know they don't have to care about thier customers.

We're coming up the Alcan, and they are the only company we could find that would rent us a one-way moving trailer to Alaska.

I'm praying nothing goes wrong with our reservations. I've heard nightmare stories from people who, for example, have made reservations only to show up on moving day at the facility and the staff has no record of any such reservations ever being made.

I made a reservation for a trailer one-way to Alaska a few weeks ago. I called today to confirm, and the rep says, "Oh yeah, sure, we have you down for a 20' truck, to be returned to our facility at the end of the day."

He was not kidding.

Word to the wise: If you make reservations, with U-Haul call several times in the weeks leading up to make sure everything is in place. Otherwise, you may end up carrying all your property to your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
I've done okay with Uhaul, but I've heard some stories... The biggest thing is each location is independently owned and operated. So your experience will differ from franchisee to franchisee.
The horror stories I've heard in the past is the reserved equipment not being available at pick up. Their stuff moves around so much, I've heard they struggle to keep the right stuff on hand.
I would say it's very wise to call frequently to verify that they have what you need. If they don't, ask them if there's another place nearby that has it.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,200 times
We are moving stuff out of AK and have rented a 17' truck, larger cargo trailer and a car hauler. All three times originating out of AK to lower 48, one way and also a few small day rate trailers in the lower 48. No problems thus far. Just check up on your reservation a few days before you need it. Talk to real people rather than online. Best of luck on your move.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
U-Haul has such a monopoly on the moving equipment market, that they know they don't have to care about thier customers.
I think you are giving them too much credit.

There is a much simpler explanation for your experience with them so far.

They are idiots.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
From what I've heard, I'd run by the day before to see if they have it. I'd also be there first thing in the morning so someone doesn't get it before you.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 PM

339 posts, read 588,420 times
Could be worse. Rented two trucks from Penski. First one son-in-laws military records were soaked from a leak in the roof. Second one I drove to WVa only to find out, after driving through some narrow switchback roads, that it was so unsafe --brakes and a transfer case --they actually had it towed to the repair facility!! I rarely say never but NEVER again. They were military moves and the military recomended Penski at the time. Whenever Uhaul didn't have what I reserved they always upgraded. Did have to wait a couple of hours in Tucson one time while they located a truck, upgraded, when my rental was not available. Never had a problem renting in Anc.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
U-Haul is the only company that will let me price shop a one way move to AK. I guess you have to call Penske and Budget direct to see if they will allow a one way move to AK?

As the only game in town for an AK move - that explains the stellar service you all are getting. You get to put up with the poor service until someone else realizes there is good market to be had with good/better customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska