Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,779 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Just have some questions to people who left Alaska after living there for at least five years:
1) Did you find it difficult to adjust to the Lower 48?
2) Why or why not?
3) Where did you go?
4) Do you always miss it?
5) Do you have any places in the US that you would particularly
recommend for Alaskans that are feeling displaced but don't
necessarily want to go back?

We left 1 1/2 years ago and are having a tough time readjusting. We feel very isolated, very different. We have a hard time finding like-minded people. We feel like outsiders who just don't belong. We are not really wanting to go back because of the family issue as well as some other factors, but would love it if we could find somewhere else that we would at least feel like we belong. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
MeganAk, I sure hope you get some answers. I am interested and I felt the sadness in your post. Good luck to you and your family. (I am no help, I am in Florida <s>)

Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Away from the big cities would be your best bet.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:27 PM

206 posts, read 514,158 times
My father in-law moved to Montana somewhere near the *** river, we get the feeling from him that the lifestyle is semi comparable to Alaskan life. Course your mileage will vary depending on how close you live near large city populations. Where he is at its very remote.

Hmm for what its worth though, i am a new Alaskan resident so i am not exactly sure if i know how your feeling about not being in Alaska, i know that i never want to go back to any of the lower 48 now, i might consider moving to a more southerly (Alaskan) location in 15-20 years but Barrow is my home.

Last edited by dradiin; 01-09-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Forgot a word

Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
You left Alaska Megan?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Hi All,
Just have some questions to people who left Alaska after living there for at least five years:
2) Why or why not?
3) Where did you go?

We left 1 1/2 years ago and are having a tough time readjusting. We feel very isolated, very different. We have a hard time finding like-minded people. We feel like outsiders who just don't belong. We are not really wanting to go back because of the family issue as well as some other factors, but would love it if we could find somewhere else that we would at least feel like we belong. Any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat

1. yes, it's difficult to adjust.
2. There are too many people and too many rules. People are not self sufficient and they think that being slightly uncomfortable means they are having an "epic". They are much less likely to take on independent decision making; they always want a guide or a leader. It's frustrating when trying to find adventure partners.
3. I've been everywhere for the most part
4. Yes, I always miss it, except on very rare occasions.
5. Depends on what you didn't like about Alaska....tell me more about why you left.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
Quote:
2) Why or why not?
3) Where did you go?
Somewhat. Moved to Sacramento from Fairbanks so ran into pretty profound changes in population, climate, attitude and lifestyle.

We moved because of my change of employers. Our kids were 8 and 6 at the time. After the move we bonded closer as a family unit, partly because we never made as good friends as we had in Fairbanks after growing up there. The balance between work and play tipped more toward work for both of us as well. So we did more things with just the 4 of us than I think would have happened if we had stayed in Fairbanks.

Until moving a year ago to New Mexico (after 16 years in Sacramento and 4 in Kentucky) we often felt like strangers in our communities except for relatively few work friends. On the plus side we have great relationships with our now adult kids, which I believe were strengthened by our time together "wandering in the wilderness."

Quote:
Yes, to some degree that varies by season, what else we're doing, etc. Still miss our friends and family up there. Also, in particular I miss the long summer daylight/twilight. Whenever it gets to be long evening shadows I get homesick for Fairbanks. We also miss the natural beauty and how easy it is to get out into it.

Quote:
We have absoutely fallen in love with NM, which reminds us a lot of Alaska in many ways. See my posts about this in a recent thread in the NM C-D forum - http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...jerseyans.html. If you can make a decent living here or are retired I believe it's a great place.

Quote:
What you're describing does sound a lot like what we went through although burying ourselves in our work helped some for us. Between work and raising our kids that pretty much consumed our life for most of the past 20 years.

Like I said in my NM postings, NM feels a lot like home to us, much more than any place we've been since leaving Alaska. And that includes finding like minded people.

Another part of our personal journey has been that we're at a different time in our life now. Kids out of the house, my wife retired and me moving toward retirement, so we have more time to reach out to others. Plus we're living in an active adult community geared toward group social events, etc. So part of our new-found love for NM, in addition to the parallels to Alaska, is the results of our concentrated efforts in the last year to make and spend time with new friends. Both of us are friendly but not particularly outgoing so have to push ourselves considerably to reach out, but doing so has been absolutely worth it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Richard

Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,736,965 times
MeganAK...so sorry that it is so difficult making the change back to the -48...I imagine this is true for many who leave AK after living for some time in AK..hope things get better...then again when can you move back to AK???

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 PM

437 posts, read 815,957 times
I lived in Alaska for 7 years. I've been back living in the -48 for 2 1/2 years. I've been back to Alaska 4 times since moving away. I HATE living down here. I do feel very isolated. I do want to move back. No one understands me. I have no friends here and spend all my time alone which isn't so bad as I lived pretty isolated while I was in Alaska too but at least I had friends there. Not here. I have no living family besides my adult daughter. I live alone. Aside from finding a compatible spouse or life partner, there is nothing I want more than to be back living in Alaska. Nothing.

Last edited by akravenlady; 01-09-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
I lived in Alaska for 7 years. I've been back living in the 48 for 2 1/2 years. I've been back to Alaska 4 times since moving away. I HATE living down here. I do feel very isolated. I do want to move back. No one understands me. I have no friends here and spend all my time alone which isn't so bad as I lived pretty isolated while I was in Alaska too but at least I had friends there. Not here. I have no living family besides my adult daughter. I live alone. Aside from fininding a compatible spouse or life partner, there is nothing I want more than to be back living in Alaska. Nothing.
Come on home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska