Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,642 times

Advertisements

I've asked several questions on this board regarding our trip next summer to visit friends who just moved to Eagle River. I appreciate the advice!

Our friends have invited my daughters and me up for 6-8 weeks next summer. My DH can't be here for that entire time, but he can for about 3-4 of those weeks. Our issue is our dogs. Hubby will be traveling for work for a good part of the time that I'd be in Alaska before he got there and so he'd have to kennel the dogs (we have 2.) There's really nobody we can ask to take care of the dogs or to housesit during that extended period of time, so we're looking at 5-6 weeks in a kennel. I hate the thought of the dogs being away from us that long and I really hate the thought of the cost of it (a week for both costs about $400.)

Is it feasible for me to bring the dogs with me? How much does that cost? Since my Alaska friend is the one who suggested it, she is well aware that they'd be staying with her (she has assured me that we really are all invited -- she's very welcoming.) I love the thought of having my dogs with me. We'd be flying from the east coast and I know that heat can determine whether we can or can't fly.

Would you consider traveling with your dogs? IS this a crazy idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:38 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
I travel with my dogs all the time. Dogs love to travel. Since you are flying, you should check with the airline about cost. Also, make sure you have your dog's shot records, and they are up-to-date.

Alaska is a doggy paradise! No fleas, no tics, and no mosquitoes carrying heart-worms.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I've asked several questions on this board regarding our trip next summer to visit friends who just moved to Eagle River. I appreciate the advice!

Our friends have invited my daughters and me up for 6-8 weeks next summer. My DH can't be here for that entire time, but he can for about 3-4 of those weeks. Our issue is our dogs. Hubby will be traveling for work for a good part of the time that I'd be in Alaska before he got there and so he'd have to kennel the dogs (we have 2.) There's really nobody we can ask to take care of the dogs or to housesit during that extended period of time, so we're looking at 5-6 weeks in a kennel. I hate the thought of the dogs being away from us that long and I really hate the thought of the cost of it (a week for both costs about $400.)

Is it feasible for me to bring the dogs with me? How much does that cost? Since my Alaska friend is the one who suggested it, she is well aware that they'd be staying with her (she has assured me that we really are all invited -- she's very welcoming.) I love the thought of having my dogs with me. We'd be flying from the east coast and I know that heat can determine whether we can or can't fly.

Would you consider traveling with your dogs? IS this a crazy idea?
Yes, we have flown with our 2 dogs several times. The airline will charge you according to the size of the kennel. Be sure you take the dogs to the Vet within 10 days of flying to get a "health certificate" - this assures their shots are up to date and they are not ill. The airline may, or may not ask for them. They didn't ask us but we had to fill out and sign a card stating they had no diseases. Better to have the health certificate with you for them. Also, Alaska is very strict on animals entering in so be sure you have that Health Certificate with you. One of our dogs, a pekinese was in the carry case cause she's about 14# and was at our feet. The larger dog had to go in the cargo section. They'll be fine. The day of the flight, give them a very small meal several hours ahead of time. Your kennel cages will have to be so the dogs can stand, sit up and lie down in comfort, along with the 2 small bowls clipped to the inside with water and a little food. I put ice cubes in the tray so they'd melt slowly. In April of this year, we flew from Alaska to New York and back with both dogs. In June we drove down to the lower 48 and back with both of them, using pet-friendly motels. They did fine. You would think that after 10,000 miles from mid June to July, they'd hate to travel. Nope, next morning after getting home, they were ready to jump back in the truck lol. Also, be sure you take a magic marker and put your name, dog's name, and a good phone number you can be reached at on top of the kennel cage. A good idea also is to be sure they have pet I.D. tags on. Good luck. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-06-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Just like everything else, I've been hearing that some Airlines are planning to significantly raise the cost of transporting animals. Maybe best to shop around and book early. Also, like similar services available for luggage, I believe there are various pet moving services offering alternatives to the major airlines. You could ship them to your friends ahead of your departure. Those might be worth investigating.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Just like everything else, I've been hearing that some Airlines are planning to significantly raise the cost of transporting animals. Maybe best to shop around and book early. Also, like similar services available for luggage, I believe there are various pet moving services offering alternatives to the major airlines. You could ship them to your friends ahead of your departure. Those might be worth investigating.
Back in April of this year, the larger dog cost $225 to ship and for the small one who came on board with us, I believe it was $149. Yes, they have probably already raised those fees.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
...and for the small one who came on board with us, I believe it was $149...
Did they at least give him a bag of peanuts?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
The other thing to be aware of is that they only allow a limited number of kennels on each flight, so make reservations early. We used to travel with our dogs because the cost of kenneling was about the same as traveling costs for them. Now with our kids older, we never travel as a family so someone is always around to watch them.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The other thing to be aware of is that they only allow a limited number of kennels on each flight, so make reservations early. We used to travel with our dogs because the cost of kenneling was about the same as traveling costs for them. Now with our kids older, we never travel as a family so someone is always around to watch them.
I should have mentioned that when we traveled to NY in April, we had 2 dogs go in cargo because my mother-in-law had been up here visiting. My husband flew down to bring her up here because she is afraid of flying and this way he could be next to her on the plane. She had to bring her dog. Her dog is a very large border collie weighing about 80#. It was ok with the 2 dogs going in cargo when we all went down with her to get her home to NY, but you are right about the reservations. We did do ours early to assure both big dogs could travel with us. The hardest part is the clumsiness of the extra large kennel cage. We had to order a van type cab at Kennedy Airport to pick us up to get both kennels in, 3 people and the smaller dog, and it was real tight lol. We wont discuss the price of a cab in NY.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Photographer View Post
Did they at least give him a bag of peanuts?
Not at all and ya think they would have with that price. Matter of fact when I unzipped the bag just to pet her head, they told me to keep it zipped lol.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,109,681 times
I am too tired to check right now - or lazy, whichever you'd prefer - but there is an airline that has temperature controlled cargo areas so flying in the summer with pets wouldn't have been a problem.
We moved up here a couple of months ago (time flies!!) and had three dogs and a cat. We flew United Airlines - which won't be in service I believe come September. When flying SkyWest from Casper to Denver, we found to our dismay, that one of our labs wouldn't be allowed to fly because her kennel was too large for that plane - even after making several phone calls in advance to insure all our pets could go and being reassured that yes, they could. She had to be left with my in-laws (who are spoiling her beyond measure) and when the husband flies to Wyoming in a couple of months, he will be bringing her home. The other lab flew fine, the Papillion flew in a Sherpa Bag - a GREAT soft-kennel - under the seat in front of me and did very well. The cat on the otherhand must have been a nuisance - when I landed and got him, his food bowl was loaded with an assortment of kibble and treats - he was quite noisy when we brought him to the airport, I imagine he didn't quiet down any. All in all, the pets were in their respective crates for 9-10 hours and did very well (my lab was a wee bit on the stiff side, she's older). The best thing we did was to freeze water in their water bowls the night before flying...several handlers at the airports thought this was the greatest idea.
Just make sure when you land that you have/rent a vehicle large enough to carry the crates, you aren't allowed to let them out at the airport. We rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was very cramped, but everything fit.

Cost via Untied: $100 for each animal - if the other lab had been able to go, it would have been $200 for her. And as mentioned...have your vet give the health certificates no earlier than ten days before you fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska