Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of your advice. I now think I'm not so crazy for taking the dogs. I can't imagine being without them for all that time. Thanks also for the heads up on reserving early!!

If you see a middle-aged woman in Eagle River next summer with a fat corgi and a sleek, trim Belgian Malinois, that's us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I travel with my dogs all the time. Dogs love to travel. Since you are flying, you should check with the airline about cost. Also, make sure you have your dog's shot records, and they are up-to-date.

Alaska is a doggy paradise! No fleas, no tics, and no mosquitoes carrying heart-worms.
Not true about the fleas. When I was a kid we had a horrible time dealing with fleas on our dog and cat in Ketchikan. I live in Haines now and I see fleas from time to time. I have also seen what looks like tics on some squirrels in this area.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 18,083 times
I've been researching taking my siberian husky to ft. greely when i'm transferred up there in about 4-5 weeks. keep in mind that some airlines won't even let animals go in the cargo area during the summer months (Delta is one of them) so you might have to schedule everything around that. The biggest thing is that you have to work with the airline that you will be flying. The gov only requires the health certificate to be within 30 days, but most airlines want within 10 days! Also, there are strict labeling issues with the kennel, etc. and if they go in cargo instead of with the bags you might have to take the dog and kennel to a different location before you ever check in for your flight - here in Atlanta, GA you have to go to a place that's about 2-3 miles away from the airport then check in your animal (and sign hundreds of documents) then actually go to the airport and check in for your flight. If your dog is in cargo and there is a plane change you might have to do extra stuff too - some airlines that work together won't allow LESS than a 4 hour layover with dogs in cargo in case you have to go pick up the dog from Delta and take them over to your Northwest flight (if you fly more than one airline during your travels).

Basically, it's very confusing and there are a lot of rules. Best advice I've gotten so far - figure out which airline you're using and then get on their website for rules, etc. But ALWAYS call ahead of time (3-4 weeks) and ensure that you have everything in order. If I encounter any other headaches before we actually make it to AK I'll certainly let you know!

--
Beth

Old 08-10-2008, 02:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Beth - That poor husky is going to be so happy to be in AK!!! We went by car once from MN to AZ, and took a malemute puppy. Needless to say she started shedding as soon we got into warmer weather and hair flying all over the car!!! Where your's has been south, it may take a while to adjust to the cooler temps, but I remember ours hiding in the dog house when hot, and when -20 would be laying on top of a snow bank happier than poop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska