Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was just wondering if there were any State Troopers or Wildlife Troopers on here who wouldn't mind answering some questions that aren't really covered on the division's website. Things like: how much influence do you have on where you get stationed? Can you choose to stay in one area, or can/do they move you around at will (like the military)? What does a day in the life of the Wildlife Trooper look like? How old would be tooo old to join up? That sort of thing...

My husband and I are looking to relocate between Summer 2009 & Spring 2010 and he's been interested in joining the force. I'm sure he's got millions of questions, so it would be great if I can point him to real sources of information (good, bad and ugly) that he can converse with.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Hey guys, I did do a search for "troopers" before I posted this and read through those posts that turned up. Is no one here a trooper or spouse or friend of a trooper?

I wish the Troopers site had more information, but a lot of it is either vague or PR hype.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
What do you want to know? I'm retired from AST. I thought there web site was very informative. Most of your questions have to do with contractual issues under the current PSEA contract. I would suggest you call AST and try and speak with a recruiter.

PSEA.net

Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 PM

thanks stiffnecked... we sent you a direct message with some of our annoying questions

Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
thanks stiffnecked... we sent you a direct message with some of our annoying questions
I don't think anything would annoy an annoying person, he's used to it.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Thank you. When I'm off my meds I can be very annoying. I'll try to remember to take them next week.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:50 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Try here: Alaska - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

Old 09-06-2009, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 18,281 times
Hey - I posted this in another one - message if you have more questions.

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/10638341-post22.html[/url]

Okay - My husband is an AST. Interview process is in Anchorage. Academy is located in Sitka, AK and lasts a few months. From there - you pass - and get shipped out to your "FTO" site. Anchorage, Palmer, Fairbanks, and a few off the road system.

Within your first 5 years of service there is the chance that you will have to bid out to another location. My husband and I bid Nome for our "bush assignment". A bush assignment can be described as a step post.

There are other detachments as someone described and they can be wildlife, highway, or blue shirt or normal troopers. You can get involved in SERT (Special Response) or the Alaska Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Enforcement which works with DEA. There are many opportunities to move up, and learn new things if you're willing.

Okay - the step post is in regards to the payscale and location. The further off of the road - the higher the pay and high the post. Nome is a step 8, Anchorage is a 1 = you get paid more to be in Nome than Anchorage. Also - some of the bush posts offer State housing. So it isn't so stressful moving there when you know you have a well maintained place to live.

Law enforcement gets paid great wages in Alaska - and your wife as a teacher will have terrific opportunities up here as well.

Be aware that the troopers will only pay for your move to Alaska from the Alaskan border. So - it will be spendy to get here. We moved from North Dakota - and it was about $3000. If you drive the alaskan highway or use the barge out of Seattle, it's spendy.

Even in Nome - it's known that when the Troopers show up, things get taken care of.

For us - TOTALLY worth it. We have great jobs, love what we do, and the Trooper community is really diverse so it's hard NOT to fit in with everyone.

Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,234 times
I have a few questions: Can a single guy from Iowa survive up there. I've worked for the Iowa DNR in the past in both parks and for the Law Enforcement Bureau. I'm currently a certified peace officer in the state of Iowa. I have a b.a in criminology and a b.s in conservation management from a university in Iowa. What are the chances of being hired as an outsider, and what are the chances of getting in with the wildlife troopers, which is where I would want to be. How hard is it to get one of the "bush" assingments??

Any responses would be much appreciated, I'm considering putting in my application for the current oppenings.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 AM

I'm retired from the Alaska State Troopers. The best advice anyone can give you is put in your application and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska