Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 AM

57 posts, read 162,845 times

Advertisements

People in Fairbanks are cold, bitter, and have passive-aggressive personalities, which is why they appear to be "happier," as you suggested.

Anchorage is the only city in Alaska worth living. The Municipality of Anchorage provides "normal" cultural and city amenities you would find in any other city of its size in the United States (Pop. 300,000); in addition to an abundance of some of the most beautiful nature and wildlife on Earth.

Anchorage temperatures are also quite mild. The Midwest has colder and more brutal winters than Anchorage most years.

(Alaska Resident since 1991)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
People in Fairbanks are cold, bitter, and have passive-aggressive personalities, which is why they appear to be "happier," as you suggested.

Anchorage is the only city in Alaska worth living. The Municipality of Anchorage provides "normal" cultural and city amenities you would find in any other city of its size in the United States (Pop. 300,000); in addition to an abundance of some of the most beautiful nature and wildlife on Earth.

Anchorage temperatures are also quite mild. The Midwest has colder and more brutal winters than Anchorage most years.

I don't think you can generalize an entire population based on a few jerks that you met. I've met many cold passive aggressive people all over the country, including the south.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Quote:
People in Fairbanks have passive-aggressive personalities (...)
Anchorage is the only city in Alaska worth living.
hahahahaha....

No way, the aggression in Fairbanks isn't passive, it's in your face and over the top. Please stay in Anchorage.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
No way, the aggression in Fairbanks isn't passive, it's in your face and over the top. Please stay in Anchorage.
Is that to discourage people from moving there?

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,125,986 times
Great thing about Anchorage... you are closer to the Peninsula. This is important if you enjoy boating, fishing, snowmachining. You also have Hilltop and Alyeska if you like to Downhill Ski. Also, several places to cross country ski as well.

You really should visit both if you have the chance before making your decision. Likely, neither Anchorage or Fairbanks is what you picturing in your head. Many people that move to either town are amazes how 'dirty' and 'ran down' these cities look. I've never thought of it as ran down, but this is what I hear from many people who took a vacation to Alaska and saw both Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Maybe since I was born and raised in Anchorage, I don't notice much.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:

Agree with you. Fairbanks is an awful place, and where Alaska starts. Stay in Los Anchorage, a step closer to Alaska from Seattle

~sarcasm

Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM

17 posts, read 43,008 times
So from most of the replies it sounds like most people are from Anchorage or Fairbanks. I was hoping for more information on Juneau.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM

96 posts, read 221,749 times
Quote:

As opposed to just aggressive personalities like yours?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickmunk81 View Post
So from most of the replies it sounds like most people are from Anchorage or Fairbanks. I was hoping for more information on Juneau.
What specifically do you want to know about Juneau?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
I lived in Juneau for about a year and a half. It started raining about Labor Day and quit sometime around mid-May. We moved there from Fairbanks and found housing to very limited and outrageously expensive. My oldest son was born there, but we have no urge to return. It's a very pretty place to visit, but living there wasn't for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska