Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 12,657 times

Advertisements

We're heading up to Barrow in a few weeks to do some field work and had some question on general logistics. I grew up in ND so -20F and windy I can prepare for, however we've had a lot of problems getting local logistical information from the group we'll be under out there.

Such as:

1) Do any of the US based cell phone providers (ATT, Verizon, etc.) work in Barrow? We'll be venturing outside of town 10-15 miles and should we have an issue we want to make sure we can contact someone, we'll have PLB units but it would be great if we had cell phone coverage for minor issues. I've read older posts saying none of them do work but figured perhaps they've updated their systems. If not are their prepaid cell phone options locally?

2) Are 4wd vehicles available for rental and are they maintained to be reliable in winter conditons? preferably something that seats 4 plus gear on the interior. If not are snowmobiles available for rental, or as a backup.

3) Some of the time we'll be venturing outside to work (mostly to check/maintain gear, not for extended periods) in mid-late February how serious is the polar bear threat? Would it be foolish to be unarmed even in groups of 3-4 people working outside with lights away from town?

Thanks!

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd308 View Post
We're heading up to Barrow in a few weeks to do some field work and had some question on general logistics. I grew up in ND so -20F and windy I can prepare for, however we've had a lot of problems getting local logistical information from the group we'll be under out there.

Such as:

1) Do any of the US based cell phone providers (ATT, Verizon, etc.) work in Barrow? We'll be venturing outside of town 10-15 miles and should we have an issue we want to make sure we can contact someone, we'll have PLB units but it would be great if we had cell phone coverage for minor issues. I've read older posts saying none of them do work but figured perhaps they've updated their systems. If not are their prepaid cell phone options locally? ATT and Verizon both work in town but I'm not sure how good reception will be that far out. I can ask someone I know whose son works out at the gas fields a good ways out.

2) Are 4wd vehicles available for rental and are they maintained to be reliable in winter conditons? preferably something that seats 4 plus gear on the interior. If not are snowmobiles available for rental, or as a backup. I think UIC has rental cars. I haven't looked into it personally but that's what someone told me last week. I would imagine they would be weather and road (such as they are here) appropriate.

3) Some of the time we'll be venturing outside to work (mostly to check/maintain gear, not for extended periods) in mid-late February how serious is the polar bear threat? Would it be foolish to be unarmed even in groups of 3-4 people working outside with lights away from town? Bears have been venturing more and more afield, deep into the tundra, as far away as the duck camps 60-80 miles outside of town looking for food so yes, they are a potential threat and a group of people won't do much to dissuade a hungry bear. They have no problems killing a group, eating one, and storing the rest for later. I personally wouldn't venture out that far from town unarmed. Sharp noises, like gunfire, scare bears so even if you have no intentions of shooting one, the noise alone might save you if you come across a bear or three on the tundra.

Thanks!

Todd
I'll ask about the phone service tomorrow when I meet with the massage therapist here. Hopefully I can get you some info and post it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: