Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:54 PM

791 posts, read 1,154,198 times

Advertisements

When I was working in Alaska I had DSL Internet. Now that I am back in the lower 48 states. Having Time Warner Communications It's only $88 per month. 70 cable network channels, Cable Modem Wi-Fi System and a Cable Modem Phone System. Why is Alaska DSL so expensive?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM

287 posts, read 598,877 times
Lower 48 = landline based
Alaska = wireless based

guess which is more expensive...

Communication from lower 48 to AK is over airwaves... not copper.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
There are major Fiber lines that goes from Lower 48 to Alaska.

(But i would also think the cost of running all the fiber network would have to be included in the price of service)

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM

287 posts, read 598,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
There are major Fiber lines that goes from Lower 48 to Alaska.

(But i would also think the cost of running all the fiber network would have to be included in the price of service)
Doesn't it continue to places like Anc and further north through the radio towers in the inside passage? Or has that changed?

You also have to consider the customer base... larger cities can have 1,000,000+ residents... Alaska has ~600,000 total...

Spreads the cost out. But look at the cost of DSL in a city compared to satellite internet access for more rural areas...

Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Alaska United - Home

Fiber goes up to Fairbanks and also follow the pipeline up to Prudhoe Bay.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Yellowstone - Not all the lower 48 is as cheap as your sector of the country. I don't have that cost in Phoenix. (You'd think so in a valley of 4.2 million people!) I have Cox Communications telephone (with voice mail, unlimited long distance, Canada long distance); cable modem - 50 mbps; and HD TV with no extras. Costs me $189/month. I'm switching my landline to Ting.com, canceling my TV and only keeping the internet. That will still run me $64 for the internet. But phone will drop to $23. I'll watch my shows online and don't need the extra nonsense of their crappy TV shows.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Our cable modem costs us $60/month, but it's part of a package so it's hard to determine what the stand-alone cost would be. Probably something north of the $60 on the bill. 15Mbps/1Mbps speeds.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Lower 48 = landline based
Alaska = wireless based

guess which is more expensive...

Communication from lower 48 to AK is over airwaves... not copper.
Alaska is well supplied by both copper and fiber. There have been undersea cables to Alaska since the 1920's.

The answer is, as with most questions that begin with "why does it cost more in Alaska" , because it can. It's the Alaska tax.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
There are many factors for prices of service, population is one in the market dynamic of pricing. Besides a low population and population density in AK, I bet it also has to do with how far the copper, fiber, wireless, etc.... has to go. Also, competition or lack thereof is another...

I have multiple choices for internet and cable (ATT and Xfinity) where I currently am at. Wireless home internet/phone is almost here too. Still doesn't make it cheap, but at least it keeps some of the prices in check and you have several choices. My friends and family in and around Phoenix say that there are still pockets where internet isn't all that great or cheap - and I have no explanation as to why that has to be in an area with 4.2 million people, so other market factors are at play.

Also FWIW, DSL is being phased out down here, friends with DSL have been getting notices that DSL will no longer be able in a couple of months.

Gnomad is on the money, why does it cost so much? Because enough people are willing to pay it. (because they can)

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Well, in Alaska it's both wireless and wired internet service. The wired ones can be cable DSL, or landline DSL, but what sets the cost is the speed you want. The basic cost for a slow wired DSL service from ACS or GCI (cable) is around $48.00 plus tax a month. This is still quite expensive compared to the same service in the lower-48, and the reason may be because GCI and ACS pretty much have a stronghold on that portion of market. However, AT&T plus other companies have introduced competition to the local companies and often offer reduced prices. But as long as the market (customers) are willing to pay the price, all the companies involved will just maintain relatively equal prices for services. They may give a little discounts here and there to attract certain customers, but one has to shop around. What I do is to call the company on the telephone every six months or so, and ask for a discount. These discounts are offered when the companies change service plans, but don't tell you about it if you have been a customer of theirs. They just change plans to attract new customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: