Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Ok, Ok... I don't think this has been answered and if it has I can't find it anywhere. This is part of me moving my behind up to Alaska but I guess it may be more of a car question.

I've been doing months of research about this drive and have actually set my date for leaving the East Coast on or about June 3.

I'm NOT a car person though I've started learning. I find it to be a glaring hole in my life insofar as independence is concerned.

One thing has me stumped. I've seen several sites that say to bring along spare parts just in case.

What are common spare parts to carry in your car???

I already have a spare tire (considering a second), fix-a-flat items, spare distilled water for the radiator, and oil (though none of that should be necessary), AAA service to include Canada (though it could result in a long wait, that's not a real problem).

I'm driving up in a BMW 325Ci if it matters. (A sweet 2002 that I picked up with 30k miles at a ridiculously low price - Old people rock!!!)

Sounds silly but I have no experience with trips longer than 8 hours (Indiana <-> DC) and have never been out of AAA coverage. I really haven't the slightest idea what to include.

Everyone says there is repair service along the way but having parts reduces wait times. Anyone have any experience in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
DISCLAIMER: I am an anal retentive, over prepared, obsessive compulsive person when it comes to my long drives. I make the boy scouts look reckless and under-prepared.

So let's see. Since I have done many a cross country drive and just drove from as far South and East as you can possible be to about as far North and West as you can on the road system in AK. Thankfully, I have never needed much in the way of car/truck repairs along the road (knock on wood - since I am planning another long drive this summer), but here are some of my additions to your list on things I like to take:

Jumper cables - seems like you can find someone willing to give you a jump, but they don't always have cables. Knowing in your car where to do this is important, BMWs are notorious for having hidden batteries and hidden jump posts in the engine compartment (or trunk).

Road Flares, Reflective Triangles, glow sticks - pick one... That way if you break down on the side of the road (or get that flat) you can give the rest of us some reaction time so we don't run you over by accident. Some BMWs have triangles from the factor, so you might already have this.

Distilled water for a June trip is fine - but pre-mixed radiator coolant is better.

Windshield Washer fluid - You can get concentrated solution that comes in a 4 oz. bottle. It helps dissolve the bug parts that afflict the windshield. I use melted ice in my cooler as windshield fluid if I need to. I always have a cooler with drinks and some road food munchies handy too.

Rain-X: I love it. People either love it or hate it. If you love it, apply it before you leave. If you get a lot of rain, you will need to reapply which is why I bring a small bottle of it with me.

Toilet Paper -- Ummm. trust me. The Canadian rest areas are either out or it is wet.

Paper Towels and/or Rags.

Latex Gloves

Gojo Hand Cleaner

You may get dirty/greasy doing a quick roadside fix and I know you would hate to get that nice BMW interior nasty.

Small tool set. For emergencies, typically the $7 - $10 made in china kit from Advance Auto, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, etc.. etc.. is fine. I have tools that I know would fix some common issues in my particular vehicle. I am not familiar with those on your vehicle, but if for example you needed a special tool to change a headlight or get into panels I would make sure I had it.

Spare fuses - at least make sure the spares that are normally in a vehicle are good and present.

If you don't know a lot about vehicles, you can skip the electrical tape and wire. I have it just in case I short something out. This is more of a need when you pull a trailer... Those trailer lights just love to short out wires... I also have electrical splice connectors.

I know this sounds stupid, but check your spare to make sure it is there, it has air, holds air, isn't dry rotted. Check to make sure you have all the tools to change a tire as well- jack, security keys for the rims, tire iron for the lug nuts, etc... And since you are car newbie, might want to practice changing a tire in your driveway. Changing a tire on the side of a freeway in an unknown location is stressful enough, add in, 'how do I do this?" adds unnecessary frustration. I needed to change a tire on a rental car, and let's just say I had to read the manual to find where the car manufacturer actually PUT the jack and tools.

If I am remotely close to an oil change or other maintenance I do it before I leave. I know my local places and getting routine service on the road is a roll of the dice.

I put new windshield wiper blades on before I go, especially if I haven't in a while. The heat down here kills them every year anyways.

Make sure your battery, if it is serviceable, is filled up with distilled water. If your battery is older than a few years, be prepared to get a new one when winter hits in AK. If it is weak (and your auto parts store will usually test it for free) I would replace it before going...

Since you researched, you know that a vast majority of your drive in Canada our US Cell Phone makes a better paper weight than a cell phone... So while you think it may take a while to get rescued, it may take just as long to get help on the way.

I also like having an entire US Road Atlas -I always pick up the latest copy at a truck stop along the way. Since you have researched you already know the milepost is a pre-requisite for the Canada to AK part of your trip.

Granted, I generally drive in a large truck so I have room to bring lots of stuff - and I bring more safety items like straps, chains, and extra fuel jugs. I have a condensed version of the above I bring along when I am in a smaller vehicle. In your vehicle I wouldn't bring a fuel jug for extra fuel, because it will have to be 'inside' with you or in the trunk. I would go insane smelling fuel for that long a drive and you really don't have a lot of room.

About the remoteness, if it really bothers you, you can rent a sat phone that should have coverage anywhere you can see the sky. (i.e. Caverns and inside a valley with mountains all around you might be out of luck). I almost did this, but in the end decided to take my chances. I wouldn't have used it or needed it, if that helps.

Also, I am in the DIY crowd and learning to do everything myself, but if you are worried, have your favorite local mechanic do a trip check for you. Even though you only have 30k miles, your car is still 11 years old. If you want to learn how to DIY, when you go to an auto parts store pick up a Hanes Manual on your car.

This is nothing like your Indiana to DC drive... I have done that drive and many more up and down the entire East Coast. Driving out west in the US, through Canada, and in AK has very remote sections. Not trying to scare or dissuade you as I love the remoteness of my drives - but you should be aware of it.

If I think of anything I missed I will post again.

I know you will make it just fine and will enjoy the trip/drive! Have fun.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Listen to Dak...but you might need a trailer behind that bmw. :-)

Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM

Holy crap. I knew I was missing stuff but dang!

Thanks!!!

I actually am going to rent the Sat phone. While I could probably figure out a few things I'm not looking to learn in a sink or swim situation. I also have the Bentley BMW manual. Had to figure out how to open my console so I could wire in my bluetooth audio goodies. If it's electric I own it. If it's mechanical uhh... Hehehehe

Plus it's me AND my daughter. Gotta be safe.

I'm not going to pull a trailer on my BMW lol.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:25 PM

I know you wont and shouldnt pull a trailer.

and alot of what I said can be consolidated and put into a duffle bag.

You asked what you are missing... And I did give a disclaimer of how I am when I travel and what you should know. Not saying that you can't make it by just driving off into the sunset, plenty of people do that and do just fine. That just isn't me though.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default good to go

Daksters list can be consolidated a little with one of those Stanley or Canadian Tire power packs: flashing road light, spot, alt. power plug and jump cables ALLINONE. and rain X.

Consider adding a rock deflector, though it's unlikely you'll make Alaska with a clear shield anyway. Who's on the road with you? Big, big twucks. Even bigger loads. Drunk people in a hurry.

Bear spray.

At least two tires. Ability to inflate. T iron, and make sure your lugs are removeable but tight enough. Digital air gauge.

And at this rate of prep. you'll probably be helping some else out along the way with all this gear.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 03-18-2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 39,705 times
You should carry a couple of spare serpentine belts, too. This drives your alternator, cooling water pump, power steering pump, etc. Have your shop mechanic show you how to install one. You don't want to be stuck on the side of the road with a broken serpentine belt!

Otherwise, enjoy the trip!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I know you wont and shouldnt pull a trailer.

and alot of what I said can be consolidated and put into a duffle bag.

You asked what you are missing... And I did give a disclaimer of how I am when I travel and what you should know. Not saying that you can't make it by just driving off into the sunset, plenty of people do that and do just fine. That just isn't me though.
This is going to be very helpful. Some of it just slipped my mind and some I wouldn't have even thought about.

This is supposed to be fun so I'm trying to cover as much as I possibly can. If I wasn't going to be in remote areas I'd probably not care but nothing says buzz kill like breaking down 300 miles from a living person.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM

It will be a Ton of fun... You have a nice car with low miles on it. BMWs are a blast to drive... You are going to go through the most beautiful areas of the north anerican continent too.

Oh and full coverage auto insurance that covers your windshield. I went through two windshields on my trip. One going up and one coming back and both were broken in the lower 48. (Wyoming and Montana) not saying I didn't get road rocks all through Canada and Alaska, just that none if them were big enough or going fast enough to break the windshield.

I think a broken windshield is a rite of passage going to and from AK.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Thanks Daks, now I have to redo my road kit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska