Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Xa'at,

Oh I want to move up!! I don't know when. I don't know where. I love SE but I'd like to explore a few other areas before I make my choice. I'm a bit torn on the whole "Road to Juneau" thing. I need to grow the balls and make that move!!
Move to Juneau, and start exploring! I can't imagine living anywhere else, but there are apparently lots of other nice places in Alaska... however staying down south is only going to slowly kill your soul.
Take the plunge...!

p.s. balls not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Xa'at----I totally agree with you. I think about Juneau and SE everyday!! I mean every flippin day!! I know I can start there and then move farther up north in time if need be. Gosh. I just LOVE it up there. I went hiking July all over the place. I was showing the tourists around!! One morning I was having coffee at the Heritage downtown and two ladies were talking about wanting to take a "hike" but they didn't really look like the hiking type, and they just wanted to do a nice stroll away from downtown, so I sent them to the Mendenhall River Trail (you know, the one by Safeway). I saw them later that evening as I was walking around and they thanked me. Then, I befriended a woman who wanted to see the glacier, so I told her if when she was done with the "touristy visitor center" to look me up and we'd hike the icecaves---which we did. It was great giving people suggestions off the beaten path and I felt like a local, although I know I am not!! I want to be! I was so proud to show off Juneau and make suggestions. Some even asked me if I was from there!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Um...I don't recall anyone talking me out of my plan...

Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Xa'at----I totally agree with you. I think about Juneau and SE everyday!! I mean every flippin day!! I know I can start there and then move farther up north in time if need be. Gosh. I just LOVE it up there. I went hiking July all over the place. I was showing the tourists around!! One morning I was having coffee at the Heritage downtown and two ladies were talking about wanting to take a "hike" but they didn't really look like the hiking type, and they just wanted to do a nice stroll away from downtown, so I sent them to the Mendenhall River Trail (you know, the one by Safeway). I saw them later that evening as I was walking around and they thanked me. Then, I befriended a woman who wanted to see the glacier, so I told her if when she was done with the "touristy visitor center" to look me up and we'd hike the icecaves---which we did. It was great giving people suggestions off the beaten path and I felt like a local, although I know I am not!! I want to be! I was so proud to show off Juneau and make suggestions. Some even asked me if I was from there!
I have five words for you: Get. Your. Butt. Up. There.
I'm moving back for the New Year- we should go hiking. I know a couple of good ones...
Have you hiked the Dan Moller Trail? Mt. Juneau?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Actually, we have been thinking about this for several years..I followed Karla's trip and always look for your beautiful pictures Hubby wants a cruise, I want something more personal so we will probably never agree
Just fly to Anchorage and rent a RV. Fuel is expensive, although the money you would use for staying at hotels can be used to buy fuel.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Thanks Ray..That is definitely more of my kind of vacation..I can do what I want on my schedule, and mingle and get to meet the people

Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
I have five words for you: Get. Your. Butt. Up. There.
I'm moving back for the New Year- we should go hiking. I know a couple of good ones...
Have you hiked the Dan Moller Trail? Mt. Juneau?
So if this next summer Sweden and I took a trip down that way you could point us toward some cool hiking trails?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Just fly to Anchorage and rent a RV. Fuel is expensive, although the money you would use for staying at hotels can be used to buy fuel.
But then you would miss the most beautifullest part of Alaska:

I was bored. I tried to make it look heavenly... does it look heavenly to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So if this next summer Sweden and I took a trip down that way you could point us toward some cool hiking trails?
Sure thing, if I'm there. You have to swear on a bible that you won't take pictures of me and sell them on e-bay though, no matter how much money Arctic and Warpt offer you.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 AM

51 posts, read 214,547 times
I'm sorry to intrude, but would ya'll mind explaining what you mean by the ferry? I don't understand. I am just in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Alaska-- what do you mean by the ferry? where does it start, where does it go. How to read about it on the web?
Thanks much

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Xa'at---You made my morning! I would totally go hiking with you. I haven't done Mt Juneau. I did do Dan Moller last winter in the snow---have some great pics, but never made it to the cabin. It was getting too dark. Of course I've done Mt Roberts, Mt Jumbo/Bradley, the Preserverance Trail, Treadwill, east and west glacier trails, and my fav, the Herbert Glacier---I have awesome pics of that in the summer and then I went cross country skiing there last winter--but there were so many roots and bumps on the trail that the skiis got hung up alot, but it was fun. I loved going to that area around Skater's Cabin I think--near Montana Creek Rd where they set the cross country skiing trails. I loved skiing with the snow coming down with a world of white and silence. Or trying to ski out to the glacier when the lake freezes over. MAN I'm getting homesick now and it's not even my home!! Good memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska