Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:16 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBevans View Post
The wife and I finally made it here. We drove from Detroit and took our time. 11 days to get here. That was 3 weeks ago. We just got our DSL hooked up today. New construction, so they first told us it would be 4 to 6 months before we got DSL. The contractor pulled some strings at the phone company and now we are on-line. We moved to Kenai. What a difference from Detroit. We have met some great people here already. I have a ton of stories and pictures about our trip here. I will post them as soon as I have more time.
Welcome aboard Mark! You are in for a treat when next summer arrives...it's beautiful here!

Bud in Seward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 79,286 times
Thanks, I'm glad to be here. I can't wait till next spring. I was here in June and loved it.

Here are a few more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Made it at last!-bc-summit-lak3-rz.jpg   Made it at last!-can-carabou-buck-closer-rz.jpg  

Old 11-10-2007, 12:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
In April 06 I was on my way back north to Alaska from Seattle and in the Summit Lake area there was three vehicles behind me. I was just about to hit the summit and I hit a patch of frost early that morning, I got sideways a tad on the frost and that scared the jebus out of me. I just so happened to look in my mirror when the last car hit the same patch and off the highway it went. I immediately turned around, the first truck behind me kept going and the third truck stopped and got out and ran back to the accident site. I thought for sure I was going to come across a dead person that morning. Much to my surprise and thankful that she never got hurt, the lady was already out of the car. I was so relieved after that and she was way shaken up. It was amazing how the car ran off the road and never flipped over and how she was still alright. A semi driver pulled over and asked me why I ran off the road right there...wasn't me I told him. After they asked me what to do about it, the semi driver and I told them it was best for them to go up to Toad River and call for a tow truck. It turns out that this was a married couple on the way to Anchorage, the husband was in the Airforce and they were on their way to Elmondorf. I gave them my email address and I've never heard from them since. I sure hope that it didn't hurt the move too much. I don't know how the Subaru ended up and that if they're still in Town.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM

200 posts, read 718,071 times
Default location

Well, Mark, looks like you will need to adjust your "location" in your profile. Congrats to you and your family, great photos. Thanks for sharing

Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 AM

24 posts, read 92,054 times
Congatulations Mark it looks like you have had some time to enjoy the beautiful scenery, great pics.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
Default high speed internet?

Sounds like you've settled in nicely! Very cool. I an my wife are considering a relocation from Arizona to Kenai. Is there high speed Internet (cable and/or DSL) available in the homes in Kenai and Soldotna?

Thanks much.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 16,603 times
I am so glad you made it. My family and I will be leaving for Ketchikan in 11 short days. How much did you spend in gas. Any words of advice. We will be coming from Kentucky. I can't wait to get there.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Instead of pulling up a thread that is months old, why not start a new one?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,267 times
How much gas to get to Ketchikan?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 AM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,694 times
Darn, just saw warpt's post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska