Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 54,550 times

Advertisements

I still don't know what I want to do, but I've always really been interested in aviation, and lately I've thought more and more about just saying what the hell and going through with something I think I would really like, becoming a pilot.

So my question, does anybody know much about the UAA and UAF aviation departments? The UAA department site told me a little bit (the UAF one wasn't too helpful at all) but I'm still wondering what the programs are like, if anybody either has first hand knowledge or just knows a lot about this.

The Anchorage campus gives a bachelor's degree (pre-professional and then professional) whereas the UAF campus only gives an associate's degree, which isn't as good. But then again, Fairbanks is considered the better school academically in general, right? And Anchorage is a massive city too, not sure about that. Is there a consensus around these parts that I don't know about on which is better? Just anything about this would help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
I am going to hopefully be starting the program at UAA in the fall. I am going to hopefully be getting more information soon.

But if you are gonna be a pilot, here is a site I recommend:
jetcareers.com

Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default massive city?

Anchorage a "massive city"? Only by Alaska standards, it's actually a fairly small town compared to any other state. That said though, it's sure a lot bigger than anywhere else here.

UAA and UAF are probably both good bets as far as their programs go. Both have some "challenges" as far as predictable flying weather go, but then thats something you'll have to deal with eventually as a pilot. You might get through your training faster in a school in CA or FL, but you won't be exposed to nearly the variety of weather you would training in AK. I haven't been to Fairbanks but I used to drive past the UAA facility almost every day when I was working in Anchorage, it's right on Merrill Field.

I know better than most how addictive the flying bug can be, but I'll throw this in anyway....have you though about pursuing an aviation-related field OTHER than being a pilot? Sure, the front seat has the best view on the plane, but the piloting biz ain't what it used to be. Salaries are way down at the top, turnover is sporadic making good jobs a crapshoot, and most of all the airline job market has ZERO stability unless you're willing to commit towards a niche market like night cargo or something.

Have you considered the Air Traffic Controller school at UAA? Those guys make some excellent money and their job is about as stable as it gets. How about aviation maintenance? Even when pilot jobs are scarce as hens teeth there will always be broken planes to fix.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Then thing about training in Alaska compared to the Lower 48, most of the air carriers out here in Bethel and other bush communities is that they have a hiring preference. They want to hire a pilot with at least 500 hours of "Alaska time" under their wings. This minimum at least tells you that you have experience here to fly. If you look at most carriers websites, you will see this. If you want to continue on to commercial flying, its best to start in Alaska.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Right. I second warptman's post. You'll have to get your license first and do your time building time---first with single engine outfits, part 135 and the like, and then if you want to fly the big boys, with twin engines and crossing over to the jet world. Alaska time will be invaluable for your flying career, regardless of if you decide to stay in Alaska or not. You will gain such a respect for the weather and your judgement calls will be pushed to the limit. Just know that you will be paying your dues with alot of low-paying flying jobs until you build the hours to make you marketable. There are several good sites---flightinfo.com is an aviation forum. When you get to the site, click on The Hangar. I think there is a fee to join if you want to post, but you can read threads for free all you want. There are countless threads there about people like you, wanting to break into aviation and specifically about flying in Alaska. Read read read and learn. There is also a sight called flyalaska.com which is great and gives you info about flying outfits and schools. A word of advice: in the aviation field, a degree in aviation really isn't necessary. Your employers will be more concerned about your building time and getting typed in your aircraft, your attitude, your ability, your willingness to follow instruction and correction than a "degree." In fact, you'll have more than enough book time before you ever log an hour in the right seat, let alone the left.

Best wishes
Cobolt

Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,417,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Have you considered the Air Traffic Controller school at UAA? Those guys make some excellent money and their job is about as stable as it gets. How about aviation maintenance? Even when pilot jobs are scarce as hens teeth there will always be broken planes to fix.
After hearing what some Controllers have to say, it doesnt sounds much better in that field. Not the best pay, less than stellar working conditions. But what I will do is while working on the degree, I will also work on a getting certified to work on heavy equipment.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 AM

I hate to tell you this but you're not going to be making the best money being a pilot. It takes YEARS to break into the field to the point where you are making decent money, forget the quality of life and working schedule. Don't get all swooned over the "romance" of flying and the obvious public "status" attached with being a pilot. It's hard, back breaking and bank breaking work especially when you are building time. When the weather bites and grounds you, and it does in Alaska, you don't get paid for sitting around. You get paid for flight hours. Unless you're flying IFR and jets, which takes thousands of flight hours to get into, it's going to be pretty much feast and famine (working over 12 hour days during the summer and being grounded alot in the winter). Do your research!! PM me if you want the low down.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Heres another thought, some airlines pay pilots by the hour in the air or in the plane. First thing to do is find a company who has a salary instead of hourly pay. A lot of times the weather in Alaska isn't suitable for flying and that means a lot of ground time which equals no pay.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,048,094 times
Join the Air Force. They'll teach you to fly.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM

If you're getting a salary for flying a plane, then you're not worrying about logging hours or the weather because you're flying a large aircraft and most likely an IFR operation. I'm not talking about that. It will be years before you build up the flying time to graduate to that. Until then, you're flying single engines, tail draggers, hauling cargo, flightseeing, small charters, etc. I'm talking about the quality of life working up to the nicer, salaried jobs. I'm not trying to discourage, but much like many have pipe dreams about being the next Chris McCandless, I just encourage people to do their research and be informed. I agree with joining the Air Force to fly--just be prepared to do alot of that flying in the sandbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska