Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
These threads crack me up. Once in a while I click on the "Alaska" forum just to read these queries. I shake my head at some of them lol.

I feel sorry for you regulars on here with all the citified dreamers wanting to live in remote Alaska asking the same questions over and over. I've been to Alaska once on a holiday and I love it! People like to dream, but living up there in the wilds? Um, no thank you.

I guess some people fantasize about Alaska as the last frontier and think they're up for the challenge. I wonder how many people that post on here actually do move up there? And actually build in remote areas? And thrive? And survive lol?
Well, when people are dissatisfied about where they live they fantasize about every place that isn't it. In some ways the AK subforum is no different than all the other state subforums. OPs start threads with most of the same questions:

Looking to move to (insert state here) and need help finding:

low cost of living
good job market
safe neighborhoods
easy commutes
close access to top notch medical care
housing that costs less than their unrealistic budget
convenient access to a variety of restaurants, entertainment, shopping
wonderful schools
people who will welcome or agree with some belief

And, for AK specifically, they also want to experience grandeur and wildlife right outside the front door, but they don't want to be required to tolerate the grandeur or the wildlife. Oh, almost forgot...how to get their nothin' special used car they refuse to sell up here.

They have always "done lots of research" but don't seem to know anything regardless. I guess there's a whole realm of mysterious misleading websites out there that only OPs manage to find. At least on the AK subforum the assumptions and urban legends make reading their OPs more entertaining!

As for how many actually make it here I bet its very few. If there were more, they would be returning to rant about how much they hate it, whine about why no one told them this or that, or brag about how they've made it work DESPITE the warnings they read on C-D.

Either that or they haven't sussed out how to get a web connection yet.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-21-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 03:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, when people are dissatisfied about where they live they fantasize about every place that isn't it. In some ways the AK subforum is no different than all the other state subforums. OPs start threads with most of the same questions:

Looking to move to (insert state here) and need help finding:

low cost of living
good job market
safe neighborhoods
easy commutes
close access to top notch medical care
housing that costs less than their unrealistic budget
convenient access to a variety of restaurants, entertainment, shopping
wonderful schools
people who will welcome or agree with some belief

And, for AK specifically, they also want to experience grandeur and wildlife right outside the front door, but they don't want to be required to tolerate the grandeur or the wildlife. Oh, almost forgot...how to get their nothin' special used car they refuse to sell up here.

They have always "done lots of research" but don't seem to know anything regardless. I guess there's a whole realm of mysterious misleading websites out there that only OPs manage to find. At least on the AK subforum the assumptions and urban legends make reading their OPs more entertaining!

As for how many actually make it here I bet its very few. If there were more, they would be returning to rant about how much they hate it, whine about why no one told them this or that, or brag about how they've made it work DESPITE the warnings they read on C-D.

Either that or they haven't sussed out how to get a web connection yet.
True enough.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,191,141 times
"I have never been to Alaska before, but getting there, especially the parts I want to go to, would be extremely expensive (not only in money but in the amount of time I'd have to spend away from working), so I'm saving up to check out some place, probably either Bolivia or Alaska (it would cost about the same for either place), but it's impractical to visit both. So I want to learn as much as I can before I go, and the first question is, is what I want to do even possible at all there?"

The answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2020, 04:14 PM

432 posts, read 761,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Stay in Maine It's just like Alaska.
I beg to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska