Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Advertisements

There is an Anchorage,Tennessee? I did not know that. I believe there is a Sterling, Colorado also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Hmmm, Bethel Maine, Bethel Connecticut, Bethel Washington...I like my Bethel the best.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
There is only one Bethel! The Bethel's in Oklahoma, Maine, Ohio, Connecticut, North Carolina, Vermont, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Washington, and Missouri are pale imitations at best.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM

200 posts, read 717,671 times
"Funny" Alaska questions. - Well, stationed in Virginia Beach at the moment, we have Alaska tags on all our vehicles. We get inquiries all the time. The most common misconception is that there is snow 24/7/365. I am always getting asked how big my igloo is - do I bronco ride the moose - do bears reeeeaaaallly, show up in town - do we have a town - How do I stand the ice and cold all the time..... I show them the ice motel shots at Chena Hot Springs and tell them that my house is custom chain-sawed. Using virgin ice, nothing but the best ice for my family will do in my "ice house". lol Then I am asked if conditions are like that tv show "ice trucks" or something like that... I gotta laugh, they are so.... dare I say it?... ignorant. The only people who laugh with me are the ones who have been to Alaska and have seen first hand. *sigh*. I have seen quite a few Alaska registered cars here, in the US Navy Headquarters (Norfolk, VA). We always wave to each other.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM

42 posts, read 236,694 times
I can totally relate to what you are saying, thepenartist, I also still have Alaska tags on my vehicles and get lots of stares, double takes and, "is that really your vehicle or did you borrow it from someone.....?" People never seem to get tired of asking about it. You would think Alaska is on a different planet or something......

Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsnAK View Post
I can totally relate to what you are saying, thepenartist, I also still have Alaska tags on my vehicles and get lots of stares, double takes and, "is that really your vehicle or did you borrow it from someone.....?" People never seem to get tired of asking about it. You would think Alaska is on a different planet or something......
You mean we aren't? I guess I'll just have to move further away.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 PM

58 posts, read 312,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
These questions all cracked me up. I've been to Alaska before and loved it. I live in Denver and the funny thing is, I've been asked some similar questions. I find that to be amusing, considering Denver is twice as far from Anchorage than it is from Mexico City!

I've been asked if everyone in Denver drives snowmobiles to work, if you HAVE to drive an SUV, do I ski to work, do I have to cut wood to heat my house...etc. And recently a friend of mine moved here from Hawaii. He said he was talking to his mother in Oregon and she claimed roses wouldn't grow in Denver because it was "too far north and too cold". Now if she'd look at a map, she'd realized that the entire state of Colorado is south of the entire state of Oregon!

American's ignorance of climate and geography ceases to scare me.
I have lived in Co. and NEVER ever heard anything that rediculous, my mother in law believes theres snow all yr in alaska. So i guess you run into all the freaks.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,133 times
How is your health care system up there. Read somewhere you have "No managed healthcare". What does that mean exactly? Also read no income or sales tax...

Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM

There are no HMOs in Alaska. There is also no state income or sale taxes, although several communities do have a small local sales tax.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
The peninsula towns have sales tax. I don't believe Anchorage does. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska