Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 03:31 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times

Advertisements

I don't post often but read regularly.

I've mentioned before that my wife and I plan to move to Alaska within a couple years. We currently live in Michigans Upper Penninsula.
So in comparison to let's say the Fairbanks area (and similar)..... How are we stacking up?
We have just under 3 feet of snow on the ground. The temp with windchill is currently -11 degrees. Fuel oil when I ordered it today (we're renting this current place or else I would use a woodstove) is $3.09 a gallon (if I pay cash which I am). Gas when I filled up tonight was $3.19 a gallon. I didn't have time to *attempt* making bread in the last couple days (always an adventure) so I bought some tonight and the cheapest decent loaf was $2.69. The gallon of milk I bought for my kids was $4.29.
Are we fairly similar where we currently live or is Fairbanks much more expensive then that? Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:03 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,892 times
I'm not in Fairbanks, but...

The University has much of what you're looking for as far as cost of living info...

The University of Fairbanks co-operative extension service used to publish a typical food basket price in several cities in Alaska, (Fairbanks included)

....the latest one I found was for 2003:

The Cost of Living in Alaska (http://tinyurl.com/2wl2m6 - broken link)

......maybe someone can say if they still do that, or maybe call them.

You might find a recent one searching on their site:

http://www.alaska.edu/uaf/ces/ (broken link)

Their phone is listed.

Pete Pinney, Interim Director
Cooperative Extension Service
P.O. Box 756180
Fairbanks, AK 99775
Phone: 907-474-7246
Fax: 907-474-5139

Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
I don't live in Fairbanks either, surely some on here will answer.

I live in Palmer and have relatives in Fairbanks so visit. I lived there in the past.

I think you are probably fairly similar on cost of goods and energy.

You -11 degree wind chill and snow cover are where you are different. I don't think Fairbanks pays much attention to wind chill. It is usually hits at least -40 degrees in the winter and sometimes -60 with no wind. Fairbanks doesn't get a lot of wind.

In Palmer this week we had wind chills of ???. All I know is that it was about 5 degrees with winds gusting to 60MPH. I don't pay attention to wind chills either.

Is that 3 feet of snow on the ground, or three feet of snow so far this year? That sounds like a lot of snow.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 AM

103 posts, read 322,782 times
yeah its rare to get wind during the winter up here but when we do it sucks even more :P some areas were reporting -35F wind chills. and sadly this is a very mild and warmer then usual winter.

the cost to get Arbys in Fairbanks is still expensive :P

Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Your prices sound very similar to the Kenai Peninsula. Fairbaks won't be to much different.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
I was lured onto this thread with the promise of fun and learning! Especially fun!
I demand fun....!!!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM

User 2 - Thanks for the links

Marty - I probably should of explained my intention better. I was just wondering how the weather in the areas stacked up today. I do know that Fairbanks gets very, very cold. I think our records here are only the -30's to -40's but has not reached that far down since I've been here. Yes we have 3 feet of snow on the ground Our yearly average is 190+ inches of snow. An hour or so west in the keeweenaw penninsula they average closer to 300 inches of snow.

Siamiam - I'm not sure why they measure windchill so closely here?? I would guess it has something to do with watching it closely this time of year trying to gauge how much longer the ore ships can run before the water of Lake Superior freezes over?

Rance - as always, thanks

Xa'at - Dang it all!! I could of sworn I threw some fun in there last night!! It must of slipped out at some point while I wasn't looking! I sincerely apologize and will do my best to rectify the matter in the future!!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:03 AM

201 posts, read 823,117 times
I think the upper peninsula (MI) typically gets more snow than most parts of Alaska so I doubt you'll experience a lot of snow shock.

I have a friend who just left Fairbanks, she said winter temps could get into the -50s and -60s, THAT will be your big shock! lol!

I'm not in Fairbanks, but in this town we're paying $4.05 a gallon for unleaded. It hasn't gone up either in the last month, I know friends and family in the lower 48 have said their gas prices have really changed recently.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:12 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Xa'at - Dang it all!! I could of sworn I threw some fun in there last night!! It must of slipped out at some point while I wasn't looking! I sincerely apologize and will do my best to rectify the matter in the future!!
Aw, that's okay. I'll survive!
So you bake your own bread, huh? I'm staying with my family down south and they make their own bread too, always a treat. I'm going to miss it when I leave in a few weeks.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
So you bake your own bread, huh?
Well.......... It's supposed to be bread! LOL I can cook just about anything, I can do a good job baking many, many things. But a good loaf of bread continues to be my shortcoming!! I've had so many people attempt to help me that I'm beginning to think it's psychological!
So basically I bake "bread", we cut off the end quarters which are usually tough and give to the dog, then eat the middle section. Sometimes the middle is nice, sometimes it's a little doughy, sometimes it needs to be dunked in soup!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska