Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times

Advertisements

Where are the best places in Alaska where someone who isn't an experienced outdoorsman could visit and see interesting wild animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Education, Conservation & Quality Animal Care | Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
home | The Alaska Zoo

Take a bus tour to Denali National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,985 times
Or take a boat tour to see some of the amazing marine wildlife!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
TripAdvisor is a great place for researching a visit to Alaska:
Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States

Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,552 times
The SeaLife center in Seward is also great. Even the beach south of Seward is a good place to see some otters/sea lions. And there is never any shortage of Eagles...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Vacationing in AK 2 years, similar skill level for AK and with two young kids. Just driving around we saw more animals than I have seen anywhere else before. And I have driven around in almost every state in the US. (Basically I need the PAC NW and Hawaii).

All of the above suggestions are good.

Don't go to the damn bus... In fact, I would be happy if you didn't even know what I was referring to. And it isn't for novices anyways.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
If you have the time and money, rent an RV in Anchorage and travel the following roads, where you will see plenty of wildlife (mostly moose and caribou, and a bear in between) at dusk and dawn:

-From Anchorage to Homer or Seward
-From Anchorage to Cantwell, then across on the Denali Highway to the Richardson Highway, and South on the Richardson toward Valdez
-From Valdez, North on the Richardson toward Fairbanks, then Delta Junction. Continue on the Richardson through Delta Junction toward Summit Lake, and then to Glennallen. Then travel the Glenn Highway from Glennallen to Anchorage

And yes, take the Denali bus tour early in the morning as others have suggested

Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Don't know what your timeline is, or budget, but if you really want a great trip and are headed back south, then fly to Fairbanks, go to Chena Hot Springs and soak in the hot springs, take the train to Denali National Park, take the bus back into the park, get back on the southbound train, stop in Anchorage and spend a day or two there, go to the Alaska Children's zoo, catch the train to Seward. Go see the Sea Life Museum there, catch the state ferry down to Seattle down the inside passage, where you will see glaciers, whales and towns, have a great adventure seeing just about all the animals here, have to go a bit farther North to see the Polar bears in the wild though.

Short version.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Don't know what your timeline is, or budget, but if you really want a great trip and are headed back south, then fly to Fairbanks, go to Chena Hot Springs and soak in the hot springs, take the train to Denali National Park, take the bus back into the park, get back on the southbound train, stop in Anchorage and spend a day or two there, go to the Alaska Children's zoo, catch the train to Seward. Go see the Sea Life Museum there, catch the state ferry down to Seattle down the inside passage, where you will see glaciers, whales and towns, have a great adventure seeing just about all the animals here, have to go a bit farther North to see the Polar bears in the wild though.

Short version.
Good advise, Starlite9

My niece and her boyfriend did something like that last year, although not as extensive since she only had a little over a week to look around. They flew to Fairbanks and spend a couple of days with us. I took them for a photo-up toward Summit Lake, and took photos of moose and caribou off the road. Then my wife and I took them on the Boat Discovery, which by the way is not what we would do for ourselves since it's more like a tourist thing. While in Fairbanks we also took them to the Silver Gulch where they had a taste of their beer, and food. Anyway, they had a great time on the boat. Then I drove them to Healy where they had reservations at a hotel near the Denali Park.

From there they took the Denali Bus tour and had a great time, then took the Gold Denali trip on the train to Anchorage, where they were picked up at the train station by a hotel shuttle they had made reservations at. Then rented a car and took a couple of trips toward the Kenai Peninsula, and left for NY a couple of days after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska