Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree with you, it is not really wine unless it is made from grapes. I drink around 10 to 12 bottles of wine per year, and I have never purchased an Alaskan wine. Or one from Washington State either. The best wines come from much further south.

It would have to get considerably warmer than it is today for there to be viable commercial vineyards in Alaska. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5°C to 10°C increase in the mean surface temperature of the planet should do the trick.

Of course that will pretty much end the Iditarod.
There's someone around Anchorage who's doing some experimenting and is having some luck. I think that a cool season grape like pinot could do well, especially now that Oregon and Washington are getting too hot for that grape. I seem to remember you as a cab sort of guy, though, and that grape needs a lot of hot sun....

I bought a fruit wine from a much-touted winery in Oregon and couldn't get the swill down. It was horrific, but some people seem to absolutely love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Alaska Summer Ale is my favorite beer. I'm not a huge beer drinker, but I thought for years that I hated the taste of it until I had some Belgian lambic. Craft beer is a whole different thing than swill such as Budweiser.
After living in Germany, I became a big Pilsner fan. My favorite beer that I can get in the US is Pilsner Urquell from the Czech Republic. Some of the microbreweries in Alaska produce some very nice beer and ale, but have very limited selection of Pilsner beer, if any at all.

Other than local microbrewery beers, I will not buy US made beer.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:03 AM

I like a good Pilsner myself

This article is interesting, what there is of it -- it doesn't say what grapes he's growing...he's doing it in greenhouses so far, which makes sense. I'm pretty sure that cool season grapes wouldn't need any extra heat during the growing season there, so probably all that would be necessary would be hoop houses. Looks like he's growing the vines in-ground:

Is Alaska Ready for a Locally Grown Wine Market? - KTUU.com

I wonder if the Matanuska Experiment Farm is doing much research on grape production

Old 10-11-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
There's someone around Anchorage who's doing some experimenting and is having some luck. I think that a cool season grape like pinot could do well, especially now that Oregon and Washington are getting too hot for that grape. I seem to remember you as a cab sort of guy, though, and that grape needs a lot of hot sun....

I bought a fruit wine from a much-touted winery in Oregon and couldn't get the swill down. It was horrific, but some people seem to absolutely love it.
I do indeed prefer a good cabernet sauvignon, as well as vintage ruby port that is at least 20 years old. I am particularly attracted to the complex and lingering flavors of both wines.

It also depends on what I am eating. I very rarely drink a bottle of wine, or two, without a meal to go with it. A good bottle of pinot blanc, for example, would go well with pork loin and sauteed granny-smith apple slices. Or a nice bottle of pinot gris might go well with a savory chicken dish.

I also developed a taste for icewein while I was living in Germany.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I like a good Pilsner myself

This article is interesting, what there is of it -- it doesn't say what grapes he's growing...he's doing it in greenhouses so far, which makes sense. I'm pretty sure that cool season grapes wouldn't need any extra heat during the growing season there, so probably all that would be necessary would be hoop houses. Looks like he's growing the vines in-ground:

Is Alaska Ready for a Locally Grown Wine Market? - KTUU.com

I wonder if the Matanuska Experiment Farm is doing much research on grape production
Thanks for the article. There was not much information about how he grows them, other than in a greenhouse. He must heat those greenhouses all winter long. That has got to be a huge expense.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:25 AM

No, grape vines go dormant in the winter; he could leave the heat off fine unless he was growing warm season grapes like tempranillo or shiraz. Otherwise, all he'd have to do is cut them back, mulch them, and close the greenhouse doors. Most pinot roots are fine up to maybe -40.

Where he might run into trouble would be at budbreak, and that also depends on the grape variety. One good severe cold blast is enough to ruin an entire crop, which, now that I think about it, is exactly why he's got them in greenhouses.

I agree that it could end up being quite an expensive undertaking, but I also think that the expense could be considerably circumvented by grape variety choices.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:59 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Ray, read my previous post. While Glitch is quite right about there being a few wineries in Alaska (and a few that call themselves that but really only produce fruit beverages), Alaska doesn't yet have a commercial vineyard industry. That's what I was typing about.
Met, Denali Winery has also been producing wines made from grapes they buy from around the world, in addition to berries and fruits. And yes, I understand that Alaska does not have a commercial winery.

Then at Bell's Nursery in Anchorage, they have been growing several types of grapes, and that's why I said that your mentioning the growing of grapes was an excellent idea.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-11-2014 at 02:10 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Met, Denali Winery has also been producing wines made from grapes they buy from around the world, in addition to berries and fruits. And yes, I understand that Alaska does not have a commercial winery.
Ray, my whole point was that there's a difference between a vineyard and a winery and that grape production may become a viable agricultural endeavor in Alaska at some future point. It certainly is interesting to think about -- for me, at least, because I'm a farm girl at heart.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:13 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Ray, my whole point was that there's a difference between a vineyard and a winery and that grape production may become a viable agricultural endeavor in Alaska at some future point. It certainly is interesting to think about -- for me, at least, because I'm a farm girl at heart.
Understood, and agree with you.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:21 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
The Silver Gulch Pilsner is one of the better beers I've ever had. Rates right up with there with Urquell and beers I had in Germany. That was my go to Alaska beer. I miss it, though the New Belgian Pilsner I get in NM is very good too. The key with Pils (and most beer) is to find it fresh, ie a brewery that is close to where you are.

I tried the fruity wines they make in Homer and I was not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska