Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
The Silver Gulch Pilsner is one of the better beers I've ever had. Rates right up with there with Urquell and beers I had in Germany. That was my go to Alaska beer. I miss it, though the New Belgian Pilsner I get in NM is very good too. The key with Pils (and most beer) is to find it fresh, ie a brewery that is close to where you are.

I tried the fruity wines they make in Homer and I was not impressed.
Thanks for the tip. I have not tried Silver Gulch before. I will have to remedy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have not tried Silver Gulch before. I will have to remedy that.
The Brown Jug in Wasilla by Lowe's stocked it regular, outside of that it was hit or miss. A lot of other very good Alaskan beer too. That was a very pleasant surprise during my time up there.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The Brown Jug in Wasilla by Lowe's stocked it regular, outside of that it was hit or miss. A lot of other very good Alaskan beer too. That was a very pleasant surprise during my time up there.
I recall seeing the label, I just never tried it before. I agree with you about Alaskan beer, and microbreweries in general. While not a Pilsner, I have been known to drink Alaskan Amber - and enjoy it!

Both the Last Frontier brewing company in Wasilla, and the Denali brewing company in Talkeetna, make a few very drinkable IPA's, but they are not Pilsner. Thankfully, the Schwabenhof in Wasilla has Pilsner Urquell on tap.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
I recall seeing the label, I just never tried it before. I agree with you about Alaskan beer, and microbreweries in general. While not a Pilsner, I have been known to drink Alaskan Amber - and enjoy it!

Both the Last Frontier brewing company in Wasilla, and the Denali brewing company in Talkeetna, make a few very drinkable IPA's, but they are not Pilsner. Thankfully, the Schwabenhof in Wasilla has Pilsner Urquell on tap.
Glitch, if you like the taste of pilsner you will like the beer at the Silver Gulch. While the food is just OK, their beer is the highlight of the business. The flavors of their beers is nothing but outstanding. Even the one with a slight hint of AK blueberry is not overpowering. You have a taste of it, and the blueberry flavor is very light, almost non existent.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Glitch, if you like the taste of pilsner you will like the beer at the Silver Gulch. While the food is just OK, their beer is the highlight of the business. The flavors of their beers is nothing but outstanding. Even the one with a slight hint of AK blueberry is not overpowering. You have a taste of it, and the blueberry flavor is very light, almost non existent.
Blueberry beer? Now you are beginning to scare me.

There is no fruit in Pilsner beer. Only the French and Belgians put fruit in beer.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:23 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:

I was drinking Alaska Amber on tap on the ferry on the way up. I guess I might have had too much of it because I lost the taste for it. The White and Winter were both outstanding I thought. I too am almost exclusively a pilsner drinker, my teutonic blood I guess. The very best pilsner I ever had, even counting Europe, though they make it there too, is Trumer Pils from Berkeley. I found it as far north as Bellingham.

Isn't Schwabenhof that place up on the hill on the Palmer/Wasilla road? I passed by it a dozen times telling myself I should go check it out but never did. Urquell on tap must be delicious.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I was drinking Alaska Amber on tap on the ferry on the way up. I guess I might have had too much of it because I lost the taste for it. The White and Winter were both outstanding I thought. I too am almost exclusively a pilsner drinker, my teutonic blood I guess. The very best pilsner I ever had, even counting Europe, though they make it there too, is Trumer Pils from Berkeley. I found it as far north as Bellingham.

Isn't Schwabenhof that place up on the hill on the Palmer/Wasilla road? I passed by it a dozen times telling myself I should go check it out but never did. Urquell on tap must be delicious.
I liked the Alaska Winter Ale. Adding just a taste of spruce was a nice touch, and makes even more Alaskan.

I never heard of Trumer Pils, and I use to live in California.

When I was living in Worms, Germany, the local beer was Romer Pils. I am always interested in trying a good Pilsner beer.

Yep, Schwabenhof is that octagonal log-cabin bar north of the Palmer/Wasilla highway. I have not been there in a couple months, and when I last talked with the owner he was selling the place. The Schwabenhof also makes great authentic German sauerkraut, not like the American version. The last time I was there they only had bratwurst. They need to add a few more wursts and "pomme frites" to their menu. Then it will be like a German Imbiss, only better - with a good Pilsner on tap.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:48 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Blueberry beer? Now you are beginning to scare me.

There is no fruit in Pilsner beer. Only the French and Belgians put fruit in beer.
The one with blueberry is a specialty beer, not a pilsner.

These are the main beers they brew:
Silver Gulch Brewery
Quote:
Copper Creek Amber Ale
American Amber Ale hopped with Willamette hops (pronounced “Will-Am-it”) the most widely grown hop in America. Giving it a mild, pleasant and mildly spicy aroma.
4.8% ABV, 33 IBU’s .

Fairbanks Lager
An amber hued Munich Vienna Lager hopped with traditional noble hops complementing the slight caramel aroma of six different malts to give a soft and elegant finish.
5.6% ABV, 18 IBU’s

Pick Axe Porter
This moderately sweet satisfying deep ruby hued ale has a rich, malty flavor. Pacific Northwest Cascade hops enhance the distinctive citric aroma from the hops.
4.8% ABV, 25 IBU’s.

Coldfoot Pilsner Lager
A marriage between a Bohemian and German pilsner hopped with noble German and Czech varietals. Light golden hue due to the use of Plzen malt with an effervescence that starts and finishes crisp and clean.
5.6% ABV, 30 IBU’s
The specialty beers aren't in that group of beers above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska