Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Born on Adak January 1974
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
Default Born on Adak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miuetz View Post
While talking to my parents about Adak I wondered, how many other people were born there. Being that the naval base was not active very long, and the remoteness of the island I don't think it would be very many. I think it would be fun to start a born on Adak social media group just for the few. Please comment if you, or someone you know was born in the naval hospital on Adak. I was born there in November 1977.
My sister Kimberly Partlow was born June 22,1967.My father was stationed there along with our family of 5(she made 6)children.As a kid I loved living on Adak.Every weekend a bus came around an took us to either the bowling alley roller rink or the special services building where there was a pool and movie theatre.Everything was either free or very cheap,a quarter to skate all day,or maybe 25-50 cents for bowling,movies were free.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
I was born in Adak in 1988. My dad was a seabee. We were relocated to Bremerton, WA in 1990

Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,382 times
My son and youngest child was born there 16 May, 1972. I was stationed Navcommsta Special Communications Division NSGA.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
I was born on Adak in May 1973. My father was stationed there with my mother and two older brothers. According to my mother, there were multiple births the day I was born. It would be so fulfilling to be able to connect with the other child(ren) born then. It's so nice to see other people talk about being born on Adak. I would love the chance to go see where I was born. My father was transferred to NAS NOLA when I was 2.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkybill View Post
My son and youngest child was born there 16 May, 1972. I was stationed Navcommsta Special Communications Division NSGA.
billg my daughter was born their 9 sept 1975. i was stationed Navcommsta Special communications division 1973-1977

Old 02-01-2021, 09:53 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
post deleted

Old 07-08-2022, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 680 times
Default Me and my sister both born on Adak

My father was a Russian cryptologist (code breaker) stationed here in 1968-1970. My mother arrived 8 months pregnant with my sister, born in late October 1968. I was then conceived and born on the island 51 weeks later in mid-October 1969. We have some home movies shot on 8mm film without sound, but I have no memories of Adak. Mother got pregnant again 4 months after I was born and my father was transferred to Washington State where my younger brother was born in November 1970. In 1971 we moved to Vermont, and I have been here ever since, raised my three girls here and never want to leave, but I have always wanted to go back to visit Adak, but now it looks very unlikely with the town population under 50 residents. Can anything be done to revitalize this once vibrant town, the western most city in the USA?

Old 07-08-2022, 12:43 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano Boy View Post
My father was a Russian cryptologist (code breaker) stationed here in 1968-1970. My mother arrived 8 months pregnant with my sister, born in late October 1968. I was then conceived and born on the island 51 weeks later in mid-October 1969. We have some home movies shot on 8mm film without sound, but I have no memories of Adak. Mother got pregnant again 4 months after I was born and my father was transferred to Washington State where my younger brother was born in November 1970. In 1971 we moved to Vermont, and I have been here ever since, raised my three girls here and never want to leave, but I have always wanted to go back to visit Adak, but now it looks very unlikely with the town population under 50 residents. Can anything be done to revitalize this once vibrant town, the western most city in the USA?
Nothing's stopping you from visiting Adak. Military operations had pretty much ceased by 1997, so there hasn't been much activity or population to support a "vibrant town" since. It's a harsh place to live or work climatically, financially, and logistically, so it doesn't attract many people. Hard to be vibrant without people or revenue.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:56 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcano Boy View Post

Short of making it a military base again, no. They threw all kinds of money at the place after the Navy left and nothing really stuck. The only viable industry out there would be fishing and Dutch Harbor already has all the infrastructure in place to service the Bearing Sea fleet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska