Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Please let me know of places where temperatures are ever in the 90s with 100% humidity. I don't know of any. Certainly not in the lower 48.
Submerged in a Florida swimming pool in August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
many parts of Arkansas & Oklahoma will approach that in the summer. It's literally hell on earth.
That is totally false. While we will have our share of days in the 90s, it isn't always very humid, especially in Oklahoma. Parts of Oklahoma are semi-arid and the western parts of Arkansas are windier and not as humid as the areas south and east.

I've visited Alaska and it is beautiful in areas. I would definitely miss the shorts and tshirt, swimming outside, floating rivers and partying in the sunshine on lakes and at the beach if I lived up there.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:19 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
I can not explain it myself, but I can not tell you how many friends we had over the years that were stationed (military assignment) in Alaska that went kicking and screaming that within 6 months of moving there fell in love with it and stayed! There has GOT to be something to it!!!!! I am looking forward to the day I can spend more than an overlay stop not the way to Japan!!!!

Last edited by Paka; 04-24-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post

I've visited Alaska and it is beautiful in areas. I would definitely miss the shorts and tshirt, swimming outside, floating rivers and partying in the sunshine on lakes and at the beach if I lived up there.
Why? would you just stay inside during the summer or what?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:45 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
The most challenging place I've lived in globally was Jerusalem. We decided to go camping one hot day in July, thinking it would be good to be out outdoors and near water, but our Kelty Expedition tent (the model that successfully braved Mount Everest) melted in the 140-degree heat after only a day. That was... interesting, LOL!
More hyperbole. The hottest recorded temperature on earth is 134. The hottest it's even been in Jerusalem is 112.

List of weather records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
More hyperbole. The hottest recorded temperature on earth is 134. The hottest it's even been in Jerusalem is 112.

List of weather records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rubbish! Were you there? Check Old Jerusalem in 1997, it was the hottest summer they'd had in decades. Thermometers don't lie and I'm sure the other residents didn't!

Charming approach you have there, tyger. Bet you're single!

Mahrie.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM

All those "hottest recorded temperatures" from wiki or wherever were gotten from official thermometers that are located in the shade. Sorry, tyger, but not all answers can be found on the Internet.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
All those "hottest recorded temperatures" from wiki or wherever were gotten from official thermometers that are located in the shade.
You're right, of course, Metlakatla, but it doesn't matter. Our thermometer read 140 degrees and our tent melted. (And people were fainting all over the place for the duration of the heatwave.) That's all I know. I'm not a climatologist but that's what happened.

I'm beginning to wonder who mysticaltyger is, and whether or not I know him (her?) from another forum, since he/she *did* say '*more* hyperbole,' and I don't understand the point of that. I related my experience, I have witnesses who'll happily corroborate my story when they come home in the morning, but my initial reaction is just to say to hell with it! There's a reason I don't post here much. I don't know who they are, and I don't know why, but there are a few (maybe three or four) posters who seem intent on calling me on everything I say, and that doesn't make me feel much like sharing. I've had circa twenty posts deleted because of this sort of thing and I have neither the time for nor any interest in that kind of nonsense.

And I was having a good day too - a nice day!

Thank you for your comment though; I appreciate it.

Blessings to you,

Mahrie.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Mahrie, what I'm saying is that the hottest recorded temp according to wiki isn't the hottest that any given area has actually been. So I absolutely believe that your thermometer said 140. It gets really old seeing posters like tyger always pointing to wiki or some other Internet source to prove something that really can't be proven.

Tyger comes trolling around the AK forum every now and then. I think he developed a little crush on me a couple of years ago, and I had to get out my cattle prod to get rid of him.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:49 PM

LOL, Metlakatla!

Y'know, it's been almost twenty years since I was in your neck of the woods and I loved the time we spent there. I've always wanted to go back, but we seem to always be headed somewhere. I'm not sure whether I mentioned it on this forum or not, but by the time I was 50 I had lived in 64 places - some for a few weeks or months and some for a few years. I'm 59 now, and I don't count them anymore, but I guess it's just goes with the territory of being brought up an Air Force brat and then living life on the road as a missionary and performer. Maybe I'll get back there before I bite the dust - God Willing.

I'm going to sign off now; I've just pulled another twenty-six-hour shift and I'm barely coherent.

Have a sweet and peaceful night!

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska