Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

I have been seriously thinking about moving to Alaska these past couple years. Something about it almost seems magical to me, when I see videos or pictures I get some serious butterflies and just feel so happy and can only imagine how intensified they would be if I were to actually experience being there. Lately I've been considering Colorado just because the move would be easier, about a 16 hour drive compared to around 62 to Alaska. While Colorado sounds nice, Alaska is my true dream. I am wondering if anyone has visited or been to both and could give me pros and cons to both of them. I love cold weather, snow and mountains (which i'm sure you assumed by my choices). I have heard Colorado can actually get as hot as IL though which is what I'm trying to get away from. I am wondering what areas in Alaska you would recommend to a 25 year old female who is only bringing her two dogs. I would like to be around many my own age, and an area that has jobs to offer me. I am a groomer and vet tech, so would assume those two jobs would be available near either Anchorage or Fairbanks, but want to be sure that there are jobs available before I make such a big move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,711,196 times
Anchorage. I've been to Colorado numerous times and just don't care for it that much. Too hot in the summer and many places are getting crowded out by freaking liberals from the east and west coast.

And I said Anchorage as that is where you'll find the most job opportunities in your field.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,951,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbm14 View Post
I am wondering what areas in Alaska you would recommend to a 25 year old female who is only bringing her two dogs...
An area that you've visited in person, and thoroughly checked out (in person).

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
I have lived in both states. I currently live in Alaska by choice if that gives you any indication of my preference....

I sometimes get nostalgic for the sunny blue skies of colorado and the southwest in general. Then I remember the hordes of people, bad attitudes, rules, etc and am very content with my choice in Alaska.

Colorado definitely has plenty of stunning mountain and high desert scenery. It is also easier to reach extreme high elevations by car in colorado (lots of passes and roads with 10,000 feet plus in elevation). Colorado also has more easily accesible recreational day hiking opportunities for the weekend warrior IMO. I find hiking and backpacking to require more planning and "extremeness" in Alaska, although there are numerous day hikes to be had (just not as plentiful in numbers as Colorado.

Colorado is much drier and more arid in general compared to Alaska (albeit with sunnier skies). Lots of it is suprisingly brown. The heat in places will not feel nearly as bad as IL because of the lack of humidity.

If I could live in a high elevation mountain town and income wasn't an issue then somewhere like Silverton, CO would be a tough beat. However since most of us need to work and live in reality, a move to Colorado would most likely mean a move to the front range. The front range (I-25 corridor, Denver, CO springs, Pueblo, etc) is an over crowded, over pretentious, liberal infested hell hole. You will literally be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic trying to access the mountains on the weekends only to pay fees and deal with people when you get there. There are spots to get away there, but they are harder and harder to find. Colorado has ALOT more roads and forest service roads to explore compared to Alaska's limited road system which usually requires snow machine, boat or plane to explore a large part of the state.

Alaska on the other hand has way nicer more down to earth people IMO. The people here for the most part are second to none and interesting to say the least. With a little planning it's WAY easier to get away from it all. It also has the "Alaska" factor with the vast wilderness and distances outside of town that Colorado can't match. Alaska also gives me a good feeling inside when I am here like I am home, that no other place does.

I personally despise any sort of metro area, but given the choice between Denver (or anywhere on the front range) and Anchorage, I'd pick anchorage hands down. I don't know the job outlook for a vet tech in either area, so good luck with that aspect. If Alaska is your dream a seasonal summer job is a good way to start: coolworks.com.

If I ever have to move from Alaska (don't plan on it) Colorado or New Mexico would probably be my destination of choice. Plus coming from IL either will be a huge improvement.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,799,877 times
Seems like we were always in the market for a good vet tech./groomer on POW.

Just had an idea -- friend of mine used to work at Chena Hot springs taking care of the dogs and giving sled rides to tourists. She recently went out on her own (did the Iditarod last year, yay Laura). You could check with them and see if they need help with their dogs -- the place provides employee housing, and there certainly are uglier places to be (she had her own dogs with her, so I know they allow employees to have pets -- of course, things change, though, so I can't say for certain). I'm sure that they have an online application process. Could be a perfect fit or at least a place to start your adventure.

ETA you can check it out here:

http://www.chenahotsprings.com/employment/

I'm pretty sure my friend's old job has since been filled, but they have other stuff...even if you just worked front desk or in the restaurant, you could slip into a position working with dogs when one came up. One of my mates still chefs up at Chena; it seems like a good enough place to work. I know they have lots of long term employees while others come and go. Their busy season is during winter.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-18-2015 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 11:02 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
^ Chena hot springs = super cool

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
I strongly prefer even the urban parts of Alaska to Colorado - better pace of life, more interesting - but to me up and moving all the way to Alaska, only to settle in a boring generic city like Anchorage, seems kind of...I don't know. Go big or go home, is my view.

Fairbanks has more personality, but the climate and landscape isn't to everyone's taste.

Unless you have a ton of savings, have a job lined up before you come. Alaska is expensive and the job market here is weird. Not bad, but can be unpredictable. If you've got a living wage job and an adventurous attitude, you can really live anywhere, IMO.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:48 PM

9 posts, read 12,098 times
I would much rather live in Fairbanks or somewhere with less of a "boring generic city" feel, but with making such a big move I would like to be absolutely sure I can score a job, and from what I've seen Anchorage has more to offer in my field. Are there any cool surrounding areas to Anchorage? Or maybe job websites I don't know of? I'm basing this all off of craigslist, and I suppose I wouldn't mind changing fields but I love working with animals and I'm just not sure any other field would give me a chance considering I've spent the past four years working with dogs and cats.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM

82 posts, read 98,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I strongly prefer even the urban parts of Alaska to Colorado - better pace of life, more interesting - but to me up and moving all the way to Alaska, only to settle in a boring generic city like Anchorage, seems kind of...I don't know. Go big or go home, is my view.

Fairbanks has more personality, but the climate and landscape isn't to everyone's taste.

Unless you have a ton of savings, have a job lined up before you come. Alaska is expensive and the job market here is weird. Not bad, but can be unpredictable. If you've got a living wage job and an adventurous attitude, you can really live anywhere, IMO.
Agree that the Interior has a different feel. To me Anchorage remains very different from anywhere I have been in the lower 48. If I could find someplace similar, I'd move there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbm14 View Post
I would much rather live in Fairbanks or somewhere with less of a "boring generic city" feel, but with making such a big move I would like to be absolutely sure I can score a job, and from what I've seen Anchorage has more to offer in my field. Are there any cool surrounding areas to Anchorage? Or maybe job websites I don't know of? I'm basing this all off of craigslist, and I suppose I wouldn't mind changing fields but I love working with animals and I'm just not sure any other field would give me a chance considering I've spent the past four years working with dogs and cats.
You can't be absolutely sure unless you line the job up before moving. Not sure whether that is possible in the vet tech field, but maybe you could look for vets online and then contact to ask about job opportunities.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,878,306 times
You need to arrange a job first even if you move to Anchorage. Anchorage and it's surrounding areas have a super tight (and expensive) housing market and the chances of finding somewhere legit that'll rent to someone with no job and two dogs are not fantastic.

Living in one of the communities near Anchorage and commuting there is possible, if you really want to spend hours a day in your car, lol. People certainly do it, but personally, I have things I need to do with that time and gas money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska