Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:08 AM

21 posts, read 31,622 times

Advertisements

So just an update...

I did get offered a job as a chiropractor in Soldotna, and my husband also got offered a job at the hospital (physical therapist assistant). The details aren't finalized, but we will most likely be moving within a month. Both jobs offer some money for relocation expenses. As of right now, we are planning on renting a U-Haul and fitting the necessities in. I do have the Milepost and have been reading it. There is a TON of info in there. Now we just have the headache of selling our house here in Iowa and finding housing in Soldotna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 AM

35 posts, read 39,285 times
have yall made it to your destination? how do yall like it and how have yall adapted?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:57 PM

We did make it!! It took us 11 days because we had car trouble and were stuck in Whitehorse for two days. We got to town on Tuesday, and moved into a rental cabin where we will stay until we close on the house we are buying. Our moving truck hasn't arrived yet, which is fine since we can't get into the house anyway.

My husband started his job the very next day and is liking it so far. I don't start till mid January so I have tons of free time. The people here are so friendly, I can strike up a conversation with anyone, anytime! We are lucky to have made friends already and got invited to thanksgiving dinner with some of them. The husband is a park ranger and said he will help us learn to hunt.

There is free firewood all over if you drive around on back roads, which is great for heating in the winter. Though it has been very warm lately. My dogs are adapting differently, lol. My large, furry Bernese Mountain Dog is loving it. My German Extremely-Shorthaired Pointer is freezing his little buns off and spends a lot of time in bed under the covers

I need to get a good camera, because I saw two moose yesterday. I think I may start a blog about our lives here, my friends and family from the lower 48 have been asking me to write one.

Today is my 26th birthday and we are just driving around exploring the area.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:05 PM

excellent! was the ALCAN scary to drive? I am tentatively scheduled to go up there mid January but am flying. if I decide to make it permanent, luckily, I would be driving the ALCAN in late spring/summer after my travel job is up.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM

I reckon my phone will be useless up there since I have Sprint. Assume will have to buy me another cell phone when I get there that has coverage that works up there, with internet or hotspot or something. I have no idea how things work up there.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finska View Post
excellent! was the ALCAN scary to drive? I am tentatively scheduled to go up there mid January but am flying. if I decide to make it permanent, luckily, I would be driving the ALCAN in late spring/summer after my travel job is up.
We drove from Iowa so we went up through Saskatchewan. The drive was a breeze until after Edmonton. Then the roads started becoming snow covered and the semi trucks drive like crazy lunatics! I almost got wiped off the map by one that merged into my lane before his trailer was clear of my car! During the summer, the drive would be really easy. Just prepare yourself for long stretches of road with absolutely nothing for over a hundred miles sometimes. Make sure your car is in great shape because there are parts of the Yukon that are outside 911 service area. We bought a Canadian cell phone and it never worked. We ended up buying a Delorme InReach satellite phone. We bought the one month plan that allows unlimited texting. It doesn't make calls except to emergency services. It works amazing. In the summer, you'll have heavy tourist traffic and really bad potholes. We avoided potholes because they were frozen and filled with snow. Toad River Lodge was our favorite place to stay. If you stop in Watson Lake, don't stay at Andrea's Hotel....

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. Lots of free time since I'm not working yet.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:32 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hntngrl View Post
Today is my 26th birthday and we are just driving around exploring the area.
Happy birthday and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 11-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks so much. How much does one of those satellite phones cost?

Old 11-29-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Happy birthday and welcome to the neighborhood!
Thank you. Feels good to be here finally. Though it has been a bit warm.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finska View Post
Thanks so much. How much does one of those satellite phones cost?
It was $350 for the phone, plus you pay for what plan you want. Our plan was $65. But you only pay per month so we just paid for one month, then we will let the plan expire until we have a need for the phone again. It was pricy, but we knew we'd use it on hunts in the bush eventually so it was worth it to us. If you'd never use it again, I'm not sure it'd be worth it for you. You might check into a SPOT device, I think they are cheaper. Verizon works well up here for cell phones. We have US Cellular and we are technically out of their coverage area but we get service, and even 3G data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska