Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:27 AM

531 posts, read 758,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I just asked you a question. You said that you are retired but don't have a pension. That makes no sense to me. Why would you work until old age to just retire and not get anything in return? Are you on Welfare?

By the way, what do you think about retirement in Alaska? That was the question posed by the OP.
Ask your grand/great grand... parents "How do you live before THEY invented 'pension'?

I don't know how people live on Welfare(in Orange county)?
I can not and will not just go out and ask people...
If you know that, you can choose to sahre it with us, but I can not and will not ask you to do that.

As to "retirement in Alaska", scroll back, I answered that question indirectly in my first po in this thread.

I also like to give you this what I often write to other people.
What you do not know, does not mean the information/knowledge/thing/stuff do not exist.
It only means you do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 11:41 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k81689 View Post
Ask your grand/great grand... parents "How do you live before THEY invented 'pension'?

I don't know how people live on Welfare(in Orange county)?
I can not and will not just go out and ask people...
If you know that, you can choose to sahre it with us, but I can not and will not ask you to do that.

As to "retirement in Alaska", scroll back, I answered that question indirectly in my first po in this thread.

I also like to give you this what I often write to other people.
What you do not know, does not mean the information/knowledge/thing/stuff do not exist.
It only means you do not know.
To keep it simple:

Long before there were towns and cities our ancestors, perhaps thousands of years ago, survived from what the land provided, from shelter to food. But nowadays nothing is free, so we must pay for it.

Only if you amass a fortune, or inherit one, can you live the last years of your life without money coming from somewhere. That's where pensions come into play, and so government assistance. So if you live in OC and don't have a pension nor receive some kind of government assistance, I can only assume that you are very wealthy.

Finally, there is no way you can say that property tax is cheap in OC. Otherwise everyone would be retiring in OC, CA.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Cannot wait. Had a real feisty conversation with the Franchise Tax Board here. Few of them speak english and those that do don't speak it well. 8.5% of my income right of the top and they wonder why I hold back. Alaska you call up the AG office and a person answers the phone. I was on hold for 4 hours today with the taxman.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Cannot wait. Had a real feisty conversation with the Franchise Tax Board here. Few of them speak english and those that do don't speak it well. 8.5% of my income right of the top and they wonder why I hold back. Alaska you call up the AG office and a person answers the phone. I was on hold for 4 hours today with the taxman.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:28 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
They even sound like fascists. Hard to believe it's America. Looks more like Taiwan every day. No manners, no personal space and zero driving ability.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 AM

82 posts, read 98,655 times
Quote:
I don't see it that way. If I work for a company for many years and a portion of my wages is invested on my retirement, then when I retire I just get my money back. The same if I put half of my paycheck in the bank every other week, then 20 years later I just live from the interest my money has accrued through the years.

If you retire from the military 20 or 30 years later, you receive a pension for your years of service. By the way, the "rest of your life" as you said it does not mean much. If you retire by the age of 50 and older, how long do you think your life span will be? 150 years? You retire by the age of 65, and are lucky to have a good life 20 years later. By then you are dying. So you work all your life for nothing?
Is your pension payout capped at the amount you paid in (plus interest earned)?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Is your pension payout capped at the amount you paid in (plus interest earned)?
No; but I do get slight cost of living increases every few years. How about your pension, 401, investments, lottery win, savings, or inheritance?

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-22-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 12:14 PM

82 posts, read 98,655 times
Quote:
No; but I do get slight cost of living increases every few years. How about your pension, 401, investments, lottery win, savings, or inheritance?
There is a clear distinction between defined benefit and defined contribution plans on this point. I don't think it is accurate to talk about "just get[ting] my money back" in the defined benefit context. Whether such a plan is more or less beneficial depends on your personal circumstances, but in the aggregate I think the general shift away from DB plans suggests something.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
I'm not retired, but I genuinely have no idea how people stay here after they retire. It's so expensive. I can't help but think there's a way better place to be if you have that kind of money.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
There is a clear distinction between defined benefit and defined contribution plans on this point. I don't think it is accurate to talk about "just get[ting] my money back" in the defined benefit context. Whether such a plan is more or less beneficial depends on your personal circumstances, but in the aggregate I think the general shift away from DB plans suggests something.
Which companies are shifting away from DB plans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska