Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 755 times

Advertisements

can we get Sirius radio in alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,281,880 times
Nope. Cars don't even come with it up there. I had to get it installed on the truck I bought in Anchorage after I got home.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Nope. Cars don't even come with it up there. I had to get it installed on the truck I bought in Anchorage after I got home.
New cars sold in Alaska DO come equipped with XM/Sirius radio, you are misinformed.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
I get it fine, but that's in SE Alaska.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,799 times
Unless something has changed you can get satellite radio in some places. I had a rental car that had it. Out by the airport in Anchorage it would work. On the East side of town it did not. No idea how far North you can get it. The Big Lake area is fairly flat and away from the mountains so it might work in that area, at least in the higher clearings.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
New cars sold in Alaska DO come equipped with XM/Sirius radio, you are misinformed.
I bought a 2013 Tacoma at the Kendall Toyota in Anchorage that didn't have it. Jason, the sales guy, told me that they didn't put them in. My trade in VW had it and I wasn't able to get anything so I didn't question it. I must have gotten taken. Sorry to learn that.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:58 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,200 times
My 2008 Silverado has it installed and it was originally bought in Anchorage, but it doesn't work up here anyways. However, just last week someone said that if you park in front of... some store in Fairbanks, I think it was JoAnn Fabric, that it will work.

I had it in my Tacoma and it pretty much stopped working right after I drove into Canada, but I had an EXTREMELY difficult time canceling the subscription. I was so pissed by the time the whole thing was over that even if we ever did get XM/Sirius up here I would never give them my money again.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,314,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I bought a 2013 Tacoma at the Kendall Toyota in Anchorage that didn't have it. Jason, the sales guy, told me that they didn't put them in. My trade in VW had it and I wasn't able to get anything so I didn't question it. I must have gotten taken. Sorry to learn that.
It may be an option, but it definitely is available and quite common. My 2015 Ford F250(purchased at Kendall Ford) and 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe(purchased at Lithia) both have XM/Sirius capable radios from the factory, installed. A wasted capability here in Alaska...

"Jason" needs to get better informed about the product he sells.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:53 PM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
"Jason" needs to get better informed about the product he sells.
Caveat Emptor - I shouldn't have trusted him. I feel pretty stupid, I even gave the place a good online review because they made buying the truck pretty painless.

It was an issue we discussed at some length because I already had the account from the trade in, and I knew/told him I would be driving the truck back NM. He wasn't a rookie either, obvious he'd been around there for some time and I would bet he's still there.

I went to my local toyota dealer when I got home for one of my free oil changes and when I checked on the lot Sirius came stock with the identical truck/option list (surprisingly for the exact same amount, they must subsidize the cost of getting trucks to Anchorage). He probably pocketed the difference on top of his commission. I try to trust people till they give me reason not but there was little I could have done in this case. He seemed ok. Really disappointed.

The only other option is that Toyota takes the initiative to not include it up there, since it hardly works anyway, while other brands don't and that he was telling the truth.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,853,519 times
You could always just listen to 105.3 the Eagle on FM. I think the same station is 1430 am up around Wasilla. Classic Rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska