Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 40,557 times

Advertisements

thankyou, i think i'll wait till i get there to get the rain gear.I'll stop in one of the bigger towns before i get there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Thankyou very much for the picks,Can't wait to start our journey.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Hello again we are getting to leave,do you think there will be a problem finding a apt in july?? tried looking on the web but think i need to see them in person .

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM
TMA

26 posts, read 107,973 times
Default Housing

Housing is harder to find in the summer months as there are quite a few seasonal workers at that time. Contact Sound Realty and see what they have coming open in that time period.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 AM

thanks i have been looking in the star online and see that they have a few.just not to sure where to start without knowing the area
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA View Post
Housing is harder to find in the summer months as there are quite a few seasonal workers at that time. Contact Sound Realty and see what they have coming open in that time period.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
If I were U, I would stay in your RV during the Summer months toward Fall when it start to cool a bit. That way, you would have time to be familiar w/ the area and not rush looking for a home/apt rental. There were plenty of RV parks in and around Valdez when I was there a couple of years ago and a number of times previous though I have a suspicion the price goes up during Summer. Nevertheless, I am sure almost all will rent by the month. Some RVs are made w/cold weather in mind so extra wall insulation are added. If yours is such, you can survive the winter but with a lot of propane expended for heat. But be aware, no RV are made to survive severe weather. It would make the vehicle too heavy. During my RV travels, folks I've met throughout the years who lived in cold country said they've sheltered their RV in a barnlike building and lived in it year around. Don't forget, if you rent an apt, you will need to store your RV. So, if you were able to find a place, say a home, w/a side yard to park it, you will save some bucks.
Good luck on your move. May the Lord be with you.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 04-12-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-13-2008, 05:39 AM

Thanks we have decided to leave the r.v. at home and rent a place.Hopefully we will find something .I guess we will see when we get there.I have been checking out the valdez star and can't wait to start our journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
If I were U, I would stay in your RV during the Summer months toward Fall when it start to cool a bit. That way, you would have time to be familiar w/ the area and not rush looking for a home/apt rental. There were plenty of RV parks in and around Valdez when I was there a couple of years ago and a number of times previous though I have a suspicion the price goes up during Summer. Nevertheless, I am sure almost all will rent by the month. Some RVs are made w/cold weather in mind so extra wall insulation are added. If yours is such, you can survive the winter but with a lot of propane expended for heat. But be aware, no RV are made to survive severe weather. It would make the vehicle too heavy. During my RV travels, folks I've met throughout the years who lived in cold country said they've sheltered their RV in a barnlike building and lived in it year around. Don't forget, if you rent an apt, you will need to store your RV. So, if you were able to find a place, say a home, w/a side yard to park it, you will save some bucks.
Good luck on your move. May the Lord be with you.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
TMA

26 posts, read 107,973 times
Default Rentals

If you get me a name/address of the places you are looking at, I can send you some photos and maybe tell you a little bit about the place or the area.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Thanks I have been looking into a couple of places I have been trying to get ahold of a couple of them but they never return my calls.Here is the ones I was looking at 125 Foraker apt 2, The others won't call back they are one close to the hospital 835-5922/831-0360 & this one I have no info on at all it is 835-9096.This one is located near 4.1 mile not to sure what that means or how far away from the coast guard base? I kinda wanta be around things as I might want to get a job and will be walking to and from alot of places.I'm leaving my car at home and my husband will use his truck.Any help would be great.We have no kids coming with us so the place doesn't need to be kid friendly. Thanks again

michele
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA View Post
If you get me a name/address of the places you are looking at, I can send you some photos and maybe tell you a little bit about the place or the area.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
Are you driving up or are shipping your household goods and flying to the nearest airport?
IMHO, if it look like you are staying several years, you will miss your RV. There are a lot to see in Alaska where it is nice to sleep in your own bed instead of hotel/motel sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska