Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 12:17 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Crown Vics were used by AST in major urban environments. Out in the bush the only road-type vehicles they use are 4x4 pickups and SUVs. Google Earth it and you'll see there are no paved roads. I grew up in Cold Bay, which is the next town over. I wouldn't even dream of taking a car to either town. I wouldn't even take a CUV to either town. The only thing I would have is a 4x4 body on frame SUV or pickup truck. I'm surprised the school district didn't provide better info as well as pay the cost to ship a vehicle and household goods.
Lol. Pay to ship household and vehicle?
Have you not been paying attention to the state education budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:07 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Apparently, there are vehicles at King Cove, and a police department. The cop shop also provides DMV services.

Before making a decision about an ATV, find out whether it's actually legal to take them on the roads there. It isn't here, and King Cove has a bigger population than we do...anyone on an ATV here would get ticketed so fast.

I would want a car here for my own comfort. No way I'd be walking around the wind the way it gets out there and no trees for windbreaks. Click this to see cars in King Cove:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephenconn/4862393893

This is at King Cove, too.

More cars in King Cove:

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-09-2017 at 01:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 09:05 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Lol. Pay to ship household and vehicle?
Have you not been paying attention to the state education budget?

The state doesn't run the schools in that area any more. Now it's run by the Aleutians East Borough School District. Given that King Cove is on the ferry route system, it wouldn't be a far stretch to expect the borough to pay the cost of bringing a vehicle out there. As the lower 48 economy begins to revive, it will become harder to attract qualified teachers in rural Alaska, so rural districts will have to sweeten the pot. And I'm painfully aware of our dire financial straits.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The state doesn't run the schools in that area any more. Now it's run by the Aleutians East Borough School District. Given that King Cove is on the ferry route system, it wouldn't be a far stretch to expect the borough to pay the cost of bringing a vehicle out there. As the lower 48 economy begins to revive, it will become harder to attract qualified teachers in rural Alaska, so rural districts will have to sweeten the pot. And I'm painfully aware of our dire financial straits.
Then you'd realize that despite the fact that the state doesn't run that school district, the bulk of funding still comes from the state.

What you propose would definitly attract teachers. Trust me. But the cost would be astronomical. It won't happen.

As mentioned earlier. One of the major issues is the state does a yearly funding instead of multiple years. They also can't agree on the amount until later in the school year or during the summer months, which makes it very hard to know what is going to happen until later in the year.

Sorry I'm laughing at your idea. It's a great idea that just doesn't line up with reality. Even North Slope doesn't do what is suggested.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:56 AM

So I'm basically laughing out of frustration.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Then you'd realize that despite the fact that the state doesn't run that school district, the bulk of funding still comes from the state.
Yep. The state is paying a lot of the bill and all of the bill in those places without a tax base.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Yep. The state is paying a lot of the bill and all of the bill in those places without a tax base.
Which makes lucrative incentive packages unrealistic.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
It was news in my community on the road system on how the district was able to just approve next years teaching contracts. Supposedly this happened earlier than usual and usually doesn't happen until the end of the school year. I think that it would be stressful to plan for life/mortgages/etc not knowing if you'd have a job the following year until a few months before hand. All the teachers I met up here seem to be happy and none seem to be hurting for money from outside appearances.

I would second everyone else's advice not to bring the crown Vic. I'd still maybe bring a car, but I'd sell the Vic and bring up something 4x4 that I could sell for a profit when I was done. I sold my Suzuki Samurai up here for a nice profit and fielded dozens of phone calls for it the first day, everyone wanted it. Something like that, or a jeep, or SUV or a truck or at least an AWD. Or if I was set on a cheap car, an older honda civic with excellent gas mileage. Gas is expensive in places like that. There's plenty of time to sell the crown Vic and replace it with one of the above options before she comes up.

Thanks for the pics met, king cove actually looks nice.

Good luck to your daughter.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Scratch the Honda Civic! They are to low to the ground and get stuck very easy even with studded tires! 2 daughters has them in Anchorage and had lots of trouble getting around in the winter.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:15 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
My Honda civic goes everywhere great except for deep snow. It's manual has 225,000 miles and was free! I love it. Put $20 in the tank and drive forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska