Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times

Advertisements

Housing housing s the biggest issue as well as the cost to get out of needed. Of course living in anchorage or anywhere on the road does cut that travel cost in half.

I've thought about a super cub, but it's to small for my family.
Our internet sucks out here. We pay $140/month for 10 gigs. Our mobile plan is much more affordable, and we are sticking to it next year. Dropping the home plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 11:53 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Free healthcare? Free housing? Student loan forgiveness? Lol sure. If $5k after five years is considered forgiveness. Which is a one time thing.
You are a little outdated in your views of teaching in the bush.

I pay $1400/month for housing. I have to pay that year round. I'm responsible for all utilities.
I pay $500 month for health care with a sky high deductible and no travel reimbursement (family plan btw)

Salary is a little higher than on the road, and I make more than $50k but I'll be making just enough. Thankfully we are at a point where we only have student loan debt.

$50k at least is doable depending on the situation.
While healthcare for State workers has been getting a lot more expensive since the implementation of Obamacare (my cost increased by 260%), it's still quite cheap compared to employees in the private sector. A great number of workers can't afford paying for healthcare through their employers anymore. A lot of Alaskans are being supplemented by Medicare, but some doctors aren't accepting patients in Medicare. It's not a bad idea to have MedeVac insurance in Alaska, specially if living outside the city.

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-23-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 12:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
While healthcare for State workers has been getting a lot more expensive since the implementation of Obamacare (my cost increased by 260%), it's still quite cheap compared to employees in the private sector. A great number of workers can't afford paying for healthcare through their employers anymore. A lot of Alaskans are being supplemented by Medicare, but some doctors aren't accepting patients in Medicare. It's not a bad idea to have MedeVac insurance in Alaska, specially if living outside the city.
We are waiting on our increase. No idea how high it will be. It might be high enough to force a move, which will suck.

The medevac is a given. Saved our butt last year, but it is only used in an emergency. And if you have a non life threatening situation that requires surgery, we are on our own.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I agree and you're absolutely correct. I think Haolejohn is talking about disposable income. I believe rural teacher salaries are quite good plus free health care, subsidized/free housing and student loan forgiveness. It does indeed cost a lot more to live in Alaska than most places. I finally left after 38 years in Fairbanks.

As you correctly point out, you can get by on $50K, which won't be a net figure, but you will make ends meet and that's about it with an occasional treat along the way. The state is so lopsided that it is almost impossible for the regular person to make a good go of it.

You're right about the Super Cub too. I've had two; one new and a replacement after I wore it out 25 years later. I never realized that chrome molly and fabric were considered precious materials! Prices today are staggering and I can't even comprehend buying back my C-206.

Talk about houses - Most all of the banks for example won't loan on a home if the payment will exceed 28% of the salary. That leaves only $1,150 a month for a mortgage payment and you certainly will not have much at that rate.

$50K is a comfortable maintenance income and nothing more.
Yep, even when I cut down to half time after I pay off the house, hangar, shop building next to the house and cars then I could probably get by on 50k to pay for internet utilities gas and taxes as well as plane parts. I will have to get CNC shop set up to make all my own stuff because otherwise you will go broke quick on 50k a year buying parts and take classes etc.

A C-206 now is well over 100k unless you buy a totally wrecked one and rebuild it. Alot of that has to do with the anti trust level costs of lycoming and contenential engines and being prohibited from making your own engine parts in a CNC.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Free healthcare? Free housing? Student loan forgiveness? Lol sure. If $5k after five years is considered forgiveness. Which is a one time thing.
You are a little outdated in your views of teaching in the bush.

I pay $1400/month for housing. I have to pay that year round. I'm responsible for all utilities.
I pay $500 month for health care with a sky high deductible and no travel reimbursement (family plan btw)

Salary is a little higher than on the road, and I make more than $50k but I'll be making just enough. Thankfully we are at a point where we only have student loan debt.

$50k at least is doable depending on the situation.

All I can recommend then is you MOVE - you're getting screwed if you see it "your way". I totally disagree and you're making a handsome sum. No I am not outdated, you have been brain washed like most of the kids going to "college" in pursuit of absolutely worthless degrees ... lol.

The one time $5,000 forgiveness program is for essentially unqualified "teachers" who generally have liberal arts degrees like pottery, art, music, etc. Qualified teachers easily can get $17,500 forgiveness but they need to have an education in a discipline such as math, science, special ed, etc. Additionally, there are a lot of other programs.

My dentist for example got a free education and exempt from the draft when Viet Nam was hot and I was there by practicing in the bush for 4 years ... what a deal indeed!

My information comes from the Association of Alaska School Boards - 2016 report. I've kept up on this stuff for many years and it is not aimed at you personally. However, you need to shoot straight and stop pretending you're getting hosed when indeed you're not.

These numbers are typical. Some bigger and some smaller for sure can be found.

STATEWIDE RANKING: TEACHER SALARY
FAIRBANKS: Base = $54,636 Average = $82,306
YUKON KOYUKUK: Base = $46,600 Average = $56,380
LOWER YUKON: Base = $46,718 Average = $66,302

BENEFITS (% OF DISTRICTS OFFERING) INT NW SC SE SW AK
Housing Subsidy 25% 75% 33% 36% 75% 49%

AVERAGE STUDENT CONTACT DAYS 172 173 170 173 159 172

STATEWIDE: Insurance Benefits for family
Amount paid by employee (teacher)
Fairbanks: Employee pays 17% Max out of pocket $2,600
YUKON KOYUKUK: District pays $20,000 Employee pays $00.00
LOWER YUKON: District pays $32,028 Employee pays $00.00

So here is the bottom line. I wish you no ill will but you've got a hell of a good gig going so appreciate it and stop defending it and complaining about all your expenses. If it is too much then move, get a job in a local district and enjoy the good life or go broke with the rest of us paying the bills.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep, even when I cut down to half time after I pay off the house, hangar, shop building next to the house and cars then I could probably get by on 50k to pay for internet utilities gas and taxes as well as plane parts. I will have to get CNC shop set up to make all my own stuff because otherwise you will go broke quick on 50k a year buying parts and take classes etc.

A C-206 now is well over 100k unless you buy a totally wrecked one and rebuild it. Alot of that has to do with the anti trust level costs of lycoming and contenential engines and being prohibited from making your own engine parts in a CNC.

Yep - I sold mine for 165K with floats so I'd guess it is well over $250K today

Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM

59 posts, read 61,911 times
I just moved here from California. Compared to California the prices are roughly about the same. Some thing a little more, some things a little less. For example, wood is a little more expensive at home depot but gas is a little less expensive. Bottled soda is almost double but fountain drinks are a little less etc. I went the way of homesteading, so i don't know about the cost of rents. From what little i picked up, the rental market here on the peninsula sounds like the same as California but i am not a reliable source of information on that.

Keep in mind that national chain stores here are giant versions of their lower 48 counterparts. You could probably fit 2 California walmarts inside the one in Kenai. With that size comes much more variety and these includd higher-end products than what you might find in lower 48 stores which can create the illusion of higher prices to a newcomer. And local stores tend to only deal with good quality murchantdise which can add to the illusion. For example, Alaska Industrial Hardware is like Ace Hardware and Harbor freight together, but in stead of chicago ellectric and other china brands you find stuff like dewalt, Makita etc.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-47 View Post
I just moved here from California. I went the way of homesteading, so i don't know about the cost of rents.
There isn't "homesteading" in Alaska any more!!!!!! So what are you talking about?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
The word "homesteading" has evolved in recent years to mean living a self-sufficient lifestyle. I have no idea what "went the way of homesteading" is supposed to mean in this discussion, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-19-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,003 times
My concern is that people will think they can still homestead in Alaska.
The Homestead Act was finally repealed in 1976, but a provision of the repeal allowed for homesteading to continue in Alaska until 1986. The last Homestead to be awarded under the provisions of the Homestead Act was in 1988.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska