Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 AM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 719,262 times

Advertisements

So many people consider Alaska to be a very cold place to live.

I can type all types of explanations but SOMETIMES
a photograph can say much more than any words could ever describe.

I wold like to post two images of children playing outside @ 30 below zero and 40 below zero

do these children look cold ?? Nope.. !! Where I live (in the Arctic) we sleep outside with no tents @ 50 below zero for two months !! (just to gather food) out on the ocean ice pack 7 miles out on the Chukchi Sea of the Bering Strait of Upper Alaska 200 miles above the Arctic circle in the Northwest portion of the Great State of ALASKA.

I was walking along the ocean ice, many miles out, and I could hear children "giggling" behind some huge wall of ice. When I came into view. this is what I saw. The girl on the left (Rachel) said . "wanna see me eat snow" ?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Smile Majik_Imaje

How very beautiful! Really sweet pics...thanks for posting, them!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,492,475 times
I 'd like to say thank you, also!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 AM

Default Thank you all so very much..!

Alaska is very very cold! yes it is. but in a different sort of way.

I will show you images that sometimes just don't make any sense.

These are my lovely Arctic models. I am freezing my ISO / ASA off when I happend past these girls playing out. I have boots on, gloves on, my parky on and a hat. I am cold. BUT I am not running around and having fun as children do with their great circulation. I am cold just lookinig at them.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 AM

Even though these children play out all day all night for days at times.

There just comes a point in time where you just need a break.

that little "critter" is the Jay in my name . ?

MarkAndrew, Jesse, Isaiah, Khristopher = MAJIK (CHUCKLE)

Isaiah, MarkAndrew, Jesse, Eves = IMAJE

It took me many many months at night playing with their INITIALS to come up with that uniquie name. I just could not get anything to work, Until I realized that Mark is the only one of my four sons with a middle name. He was born on his Great Grandmothers birthday on my side.. She was the one who maned him! Once I realized I had an A. it finally all fit together !!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM

94 posts, read 266,939 times
Hi, great pix! Although I've been lurking in this forum a while, I decided to register so I can post -- mostly to ask pesky questions about life in your wonderful state!

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 AM

Default Ask... and you shall receive.. ..

.. .. an answer !!

I would not want to live any other place in the world other than the Arctic !!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Majik is there any industry in Point Hope?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Industry ?

hmmm?? I am really not sure how to handle a word like "industry" .

especially in such a tiny place such as Point Hope. 800 residents.

75% are unemployed. Industry ? how can I be creative enough to fill that job? description.

The main industry of this village or most of them is are : Arts & Crafts !

huge money, can easily be generated. In many unskilled ways. i.e. just by walking.

INdustry to me.. means "factories"

we have a "factory" in our house. and we keep quite busy.

Industry ? hmmm.. I am showing my stupidity here.. big time. I am not going to look up the true definition of the word.. hmm The U.S. is an Industrialized NATION or country eh ?

Fishing ? , now if we could sell Ice. we would have it made.

IVORY is he hottest best industry up here by far. MAJOR BIG BUX. right at home.

or.. .. just by walkng the beaches..!!

I need a bit more. the bootlegging industry up here is major bux and major jail time if / when caught.. same with drug(s).

I am realy stumped at what you mean by industry in such a tiny small place.

care to elaborate. ?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 PM

639 posts, read 1,915,506 times
Ok question>>>
If there are 75% of the people unemployed then why don't they fill the jobs you posted about. I mean if there are even close to the number of jobs up there as you said in another post why are so many unemployeed? I think you said there was like 300 + or - jobs posted in that town right now. Why is the unemployment rate so high?

Also isn't there some type of law about the ivory? I think I heard somewhere before that only certain people were allowed to take the ivory that you couldn't just walk up and take it. Or is that wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska